63 patient evaluations for Prednisone with a cost of < $25

722 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jun 11, 2020 (Started Jun 09, 2020)

Major (for arthritis pain in knees)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (increased appetite, headaches, insomnia)
Dosage: 10 mg Four times daily
Advice & Tips: The dosage changes every few days, tapering from 40 mg qd to 10 mg qd. I have it written in my calendar and I check off each day as I finish it.

Nov 17, 2018 (Started Oct 15, 2018)

Major (for Bell's palsy)
    Major (for difficulty eating)
    Major (for facial pain)
    Major (for facial paralysis)
    Major (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
  • Side effects
    Mild (bad taste in mouth)

Oct 24, 2018 (Started Oct 15, 2018)

Slight (for Bell's palsy)
    Major (for facial pain)
    Slight (for facial paralysis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (bad taste in mouth)

Aug 15, 2016 (Started Jan 01, 1985)

Major (for Addison's disease)
    Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (diabetes type 2, weight gain, acute renal failure)
Advice & Tips: Prednisone has long (30 years worth) been my "nasty but necessary" treatment for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It has caused me innumerable side effect problems, including 100lbs of weight gain, the dissolution of my previous marriage, Diabetes II, renal (kidney) failure, etc... Going off of it at various times has made me extremely ill, at least 3 times resulted in my hospitalization. For many years, this was the only RA treatment that functioned consistently and allowed me to continue living my life at least somewhat normally.

Jul 21, 2016 (Started Sep 15, 2015)

Moderate (for arthritis pain)
    Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
    Slight (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood swings, insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep), weight gain, dry skin, excessive thirst (polydipsia))
Advice & Tips: This is low cost but the side effects are worth considering. For short term use not an issue. For long term however, it has weight gain and insomnia, anxiousness, and need to taper of slowly or major withdrawals an issue. It seems for me it is no longer as effective from long term use.

Jun 8, 2015 (Started May 23, 2015)

Moderate (for arthritis pain in knees)
    Moderate (for bursitis)
    Moderate (for tendinitis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fluid retention weight gain)
Dosage: 5 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: This is my second course of tapered dose Prednisone this year.Earlier in the year it was for the calcified tendonitis in my Achilles tendons...

May 31, 2014 (Started Sep 06, 2013)

Major (for gastrointestinal bleeding)
    Major (for Crohn's disease)
    Major (for Crohn's flare up)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, shaky hands, insomnia, hunger, weight gain, mood elevated or improved, feeling of heart pounding)
Advice & Tips: Expect weight gain and nervousness, for sure... probably insomnia too. Never go off of the medication without TAPERING the doseage down. Once you start tapering down and your flare-up has subsided, you can take more of the doseage in the morning than in the evening. In fact, once I get down to 40mg/day I take one 20mg tab as early in the morning as possible and then the other 20mg tab around noon. After a few days of this, I start sleeping better (though sometimes it is still hard to get to sleep). Taking melatonin or other herbal sleep remedies can help at night, as well. If I do happen to get tired during the day I take advantage of it and nap. The anxiousness just sort of comes with the territory. For me, it goes away once I'm down to about 20mg per day. It is bearable because I know the reason and I know that I'd rather be anxious than bleeding to death from Crohn's disease. :P I have noticed that this time my mood seems to be much better than usual. Even when I don't feel physically very good, I seem to have a positive mental outlook, which is super rare for me.

Sep 6, 2013 (Started Sep 06, 2013)

Major (for gastrointestinal bleeding)
    Major (for Crohn's disease)
    Major (for Crohn's flare up)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, mood elevated or improved)

May 27, 2014 (Started May 06, 2014)

Major (for chronic bronchitis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (migraine, insomnia, mild depression, increased anxiety, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Just don't get prescribed the stuff. The costs usually outweigh the benefits.

Feb 17, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Moderate (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Severe (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: BP is high..need to taper down

Feb 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: This drug is a double edged sword. It has controlled my symptoms better than any other drug. But the long term usage (8years) has suppressed my adrenals to the point that they make the taper very difficult. I am at 25 mg. and going to try a very slow taper of .5mg/month. Any faster and the withdrawal symptoms are so difficult. I will talk to my doctor this week about whether I need to add methotrexate before attempting the taper. The less prednisone I take the more pain med I require.

Jan 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This has been the only drug that has improved my quality of life. It is the biggest help for pain. BUT...I was put on it and not tapered off until my body had become totally dependent and my adrenal glands suppressed for too long and will not work now. I personally believe I now have adrenal insufficiency from being on prednisone way too long. I am hoping the appt I have with a new Rheumatologist will provide some fresh approach and answers. IF I taper down more than 1/2mg over 1-2 weeks I have a major flare. Can not think, hard to function and move. Right now I am on 20mg.

Nov 12, 2013 (Started Sep 11, 2012)

Major (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (headaches, nausea, weight gain, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Dosage: 7.5 mg Daily

Jul 14, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I will no longer take Prednisone at any dosage. It makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Extreme weepiness, depression, anger. For me, it is awful.

Jul 11, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)

Jun 1, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Wane down carefully as prescribed. I started with 20 mg daily last month, and after 2 weeks, went to 15 mg for 4 days, then 10 mg for 4 days, and I will get to 5 mg.

Apr 19, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I hated being on Prednisone, and was never able to see if it had positive effects because I stopped after a couple months. The bloating, weight gain, and moodiness were too much for me to handle. I gained 10-15 pounds while taking it (which is quite extreme on my petite 5'2'' frame). Also, my mood swings were uncontrollable. The drug wasn't for me, and possibly because I was put on too high of a dosage. Because of my bad experience, I never take steroids, unless it is a 1-time injection to help my immune system beat a cold.

Showing 10 of 63 patient evaluations for Prednisone