6 patient evaluations for Rituximab with a burden rating of A little hard to take

58 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Sep 24, 2016 (Started Sep 11, 2014)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I had 2 infusions, 14 days apart. And that was it. The effect was not worth the price according to my rheumatologist (I paid nothing myself)

Jul 1, 2014 (Started Sep 11, 2014)

• Side effects

May 1, 2012 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (major depressive disorder, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, tremor in hands, tremor(s))
Advice & Tips: stop medication did not help with swelling or pain in joints added actemra 2012 may

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

None (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (major depressive disorder, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, headaches, tremor in hands, tremor(s))
Advice & Tips: very expensive was disappointed it did not work

Dec 10, 2011 (Started Nov 01, 2011)

None (for rheumatoid arthritis)
Dosage: 7 hr Monthly
Advice & Tips: i had to submitt 2 infusion with no success for me i had alot of inflamation and fatigue infusion 1 month apart 7 hours for each was hoping it would work for me

Nov 22, 2011 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

Can't tell (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (decreased appetite, fever, whole body ache, generalized weakness (asthenia), fatigue)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: I was diagnosed with NMO in October of 2009, and began chemotherapy using Rituximab almost immediately. The treatments were VERY hard on my body, and I almost invariably had alarming cardiac/respiratory crises with every session. As stated in my previous evaluation of this drug, it reached a point where the drug was so hard on me that my doctor (and my anesthetist parents) stopped treatment after my treatment in June of 2010. My husband and I moved from South Carolina to North Carolina in October of 2011, where I met with several new doctors in the Asheville area. My new hemotologist convinced me that he could administer my treatments without causing the issues I'd previously experienced. I conceded, and to my surprise, he lived up to his claim immensely. He infused the same drug in the same dosage, but with a totally different method. My side effects (both during treatment and after) were minimized greatly - I had NO cardiac/pulmonary crises, and my recuperation time was cut in half. My opinion on this treatment has improved by leaps and bounds. That being said, however, it is still a VERY powerful drug, and should be used with extreme caution - and only if you have exhausted the less dangerous treatments available.

Jun 2, 2010 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

None (for neuromyelitis optica)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: If you take Rituxan, be VERY aware of the strength of this drug, and of the possible side effects. Also consider that NMO in itself causes a great deal of fatigue and weakness, and that the Rituxan exacerbates these effects 100-fold. I deteriorated very quickly neurologically speaking, so much so that my parents (who are CRNAs) were truly afraid I would not survive the last treatment. Just be cautious, and be sure your body is physically strong enough to endure such risky treatment.

May 25, 2010 (Started May 22, 2008)

Major (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (allergic reaction)
Dosage: 10000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: Make sure you are not allergic to the medication. Thought it was just an chronic infusion rxn, when I consulted the allergist, he said I was very allergic to it. Hated to stop the medication as it was very helpful. If you are allergic to guninea pigs/ mice do not take it!
Side effects: allergic reaction

Mar 7, 2010 (Started May 22, 2008)

Major (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (allergic reaction)
Dosage: 10000 mg Every 3 months
Side effects: allergic reaction

Mar 5, 2010 (Started May 22, 2008)

Can't tell (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (allergic reaction)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: Due to increased severity of pain from the Devic's uncontrolled with the max dose of 200mcg Fentanyl, it was decided that by neurology to do an early dose of Rituxan. In other words, instead of 3 months, we did the Rituxan in 2 months as in the past this has helped with the pain. The infusion was over 24 hours and I had severe issues with hypotension and ventricular arrythmias, needed increased fluid support and keeps the support meds scheduled at every 6 hours (increased the dosages of Benadryl and demerol, tylenol). Will see if the pain improves!
Side effects: allergic reaction

Feb 28, 2010 (Started May 22, 2008)

Major (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (allergic reaction)
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: This is the only tx that seems to be best though for some reason my relapses try to recur with two months after the infusion. With the other chemo (MTX) I had too many life threatening infections so I had to stop, I will have to deal with the side effects for now. I do feel great for the first two months after the treatment. Usually the tx is done outpatient, but in my case I must stay inpt and the infusion is done between 12-18 hours due to side effects. Need hydration and cardiac monitoring before, during amd after to help deal/ monitor some of the adverse side effects. Myneurologist doesn't understand these increasing adverse reactions with each successive dose. Afraid to increase the frequency for this reason.
Side effects: allergic reaction

Jan 21, 2009 (Started Dec 10, 2007)

Major (for neuromyelitis optica)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tiredness, muscle pain)
Side effects: muscle pain, tiredness, tiredness

Jan 9, 2009 (Started Aug 29, 2008)

Moderate (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Mild (migraine headaches)
Dosage: 10 mg Yearly
Side effects: migraine headaches

Oct 10, 2008 (Started Aug 29, 2008)

Can't tell (for Other)