8 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium with a burden rating of Very hard to take

53 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 20, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 1988)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dental problems, weight gain, fatigue, generalized anxiety disorder)
Advice & Tips: I find the burden of taking this med very diffucult because I have been on the same med for 25 yrs now and I feel it is not as efficient now as it was 25 yrs ago. It is causing dental issues with my tooth enamel and gums. It causes weight issues even though I eat an extremely healthy diet and am active. In the past 3 yrs, I haven't felt nearly as well as in past yrs. I have recently learned that Drs. no longer perscribe Depakote to children as it may cause depression/suicidal thoughts. I believe I am experiencing feelings of anxiety due to long-term usage. I know there are newer/better medications and don't understand why my neurologist just shrugs me off when I mention the possibility for change.

Apr 1, 2011 (Started Apr 22, 2010)

None (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects

Nov 14, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1995)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, difficulty making decisions, fuzzy thinking, breast enlargement, clearer skin)
Advice & Tips: Depakote controlled my seizures most of the time, but has not completely done so. The seizures always come back about a year or two after adjusting my dosage. The side effects for me are: weight gain, breast enlargement, tremors, depression, indecisiveness or what is termed "cloudy thinking" on the label... Positive effects were the relaxing effect of this medicine. It calmed me down emotionally. Depakote has made daily life easier but I am ready for a new medicine, as I am developing an immunity to it.
Side effects: breast enlargement, weight gain, difficulty making decisions, clearer skin, fuzzy thinking

Feb 1, 2008 (Started Jan 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (stomach problems, hallucinations)
Advice & Tips: Serious stomach problems arose as well as it not being effective at all for me.
Side effects: hallucinations, stomach problems

Oct 15, 2007 (Started Mar 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (loss of manual dexterity, unintentional weight loss, hair loss, excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), loss of balance, decreased appetite)

Aug 31, 2007 (Started Dec 15, 2005)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (tremor(s), weight gain, slowed thinking)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I put on between 50 and 60 pounds while on Depakote ER, and lost my desire to work out, since I was a walking Zombie. In addition I don't feel that it helped me very much with mood swings, as I still had them, and would snap at people such as coworkers, friends, bosses, etc. Coming off Depakote was extremely difficult. A few weeks into tapering off, I out of nowhere became extremely dizzy at work and fell down. To stand up I had to hold on to the counters and get myself to a table. After this I started having bad muscle pain and tightness. In addition, my mood swings were actually worse than before. I have found lamictal to be a much better functioning medication, with very little side affects.
Side effects: slowed thinking, tremor(s), weight gain

Feb 1, 2006 (Started May 13, 1976)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (fatigue, poor working memory)
Advice & Tips: always keep in mind that side effects may not be worse then the condition.

Jun 14, 2001 (Started Jun 14, 1998)

None (for epilepsy)