11 patient evaluations for Fentanyl patch with a burden rating of A little hard to take

73 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 19, 2016 (Started Jun 01, 2006)

Major (for chronic pain)
Dosage: 100 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: Fentanyl is what keeps me functioning on a day to day basis. Over the past many years (at least pre 2007) it has made the difference when nothing else worked.

May 29, 2016 (Started Jan 15, 2002)

Slight (for cervical spondylosis)
    Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
    Slight (for muscle spasms in neck)
    Moderate (for pain)
Dosage: 100 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: Continues to relieve a considerable amount of my pain and allows me to function more than I could without the patch.  Doesn't relieve all my pain, but it sure reduces the level.

Nov 28, 2015 (Started Jan 15, 2002)

Major (for cervical spondylosis)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Moderate (for muscle spasms in neck)
    Moderate (for pain)
Dosage: 100 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: A correction to the above - at my doc's suggestion, we backed off the amount of fentanyl.  Downgraded to 75 mcg/hr with noticeable increase in pain levels.  At 50 mcg/hr, I couldn't function at all.  Pain levels too high and left me in bed or chair and with tears.  Back to 100 mcg/hr.  It doesn't relieve all my pain by any means, but it allows me to function.

Mar 1, 2011 (Started Jan 15, 2002)

Major (for Nerve pain/muscle spasm from degenerated cervical vertebrae)
    Major (for pain)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
Dosage: 100 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: As an opiod, it is critical to keep a note where easily seen to ensure changing to new patch on time. In a few hours after missing change time, unpleasant withdrawal symptoms start. It much easier to use than the oral meds and prevents the up and down pain levels that oral meds create. Like all opiods, it is constipating, but (at my docs suggestion) I take a stool softener ever morning. That seems to relieve 90% of the problem. Because of degeneration in my cervical vertebrae and the days I overdo, I supplement the patch with oral opiods as needed. All in all, without the patch, I don't think I could function at all.

Mar 4, 2014 (Started Jul 01, 2011)

Moderate (for chronic pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (chronic constipation)
Dosage: 200 mcg M,W,F
Advice & Tips: I've noticed with the fentanyl patch that I become accustomed to the dose rather quickly. I don't know whether it's my overall tolerance to narcotic pain relievers or what, but every time my doctor increases my patch dosage, the relief seems very short-lived; I'm talking within a couple weeks, it seems like it's no longer helping as it should.

Jan 19, 2014 (Started Feb 26, 2013)

Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
    Moderate (for chronic pain syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Mild (sleepiness)
Advice & Tips: Write date you put the patch on on the patch.

Jul 1, 2012 (Started Apr 06, 2009)

None (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (constipation, sexual dysfunction, dry mouth, loss of energy, adhesive reaction)
Dosage: 75 mcg M,W,F
Advice & Tips: due to a skin allergy and several side effects i stopped the patch and started a new medication
Side effects: adhesive reaction, dry mouth, sexual dysfunction, loss of energy, constipation

May 13, 2009 (Started Apr 06, 2009)

Slight (for fibromyalgia)
    Slight (for pain)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (constipation, sexual dysfunction, dry mouth, loss of energy, adhesive reaction)
Dosage: 100 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: definately the adhesive sensetivity.

Apr 25, 2012 (Started Jun 20, 2011)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (spinning dizziness (vertigo), sleepiness)
Dosage: 50 mcg M,W,F
Advice & Tips: patch does not adhere to my skin. I have to try not to cover the patch, but I do have to use band-aids to keep it on.

Jun 27, 2011 (Started Jun 20, 2011)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (spinning dizziness (vertigo), sleepiness)
Dosage: 50 mcg M,W,F
Advice & Tips: Since I already have trouble with urinary function, this medication has added to the difficulty in voiding or gives the sensation of urgency. I have found that it is difficult to keep the patch to stay on especially in the hot and humid weather. I have to tape it on.

Oct 8, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Slight (for chronic pain)
Dosage: 25 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: I started having an allergy to the adhesive and I quit taking the fentanyl because I need more options in pain relief and my doctor seemed really concerned about me being on the patch. I was still in so much pain on the patch. I asked my doctor to increase it in the past but she did not want to. Then I started developing the allergy. I was in so much pain the last month I was on the patch overall I determined that the box of patches I recieved was deffective. One bad thing was the patches kept coming off and you cannot put tape on top of it to stay on or the patch will be less effective.

Oct 4, 2010 (Started Dec 15, 2009)

Dosage: 50 mcg Daily

Sep 20, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2010)

Major (for chronic pain)
    Major (for pain in lower back)
  • Side effects
    Severe (nausea and vomiting)
Dosage: 50 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: Was shocked something finally got rid of all my pain, once upped to the 50mg patch; however, I was already really sick to my stomach on the 25mg patch and when the dr upped it I couldn't stop vomiting...literally. & trust me i tried hard to tolerate it because it was the first time I hadnt been in pain for as long as I could remember, but I couldnt go to work cause i threw up at work, in the car, at home...I had to quit taking it.

Sep 11, 2009 (Started Sep 02, 2009)

Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
    Moderate (for chronic pain)
    Moderate (for back pain)
  • Side effects
Dosage: 75 PATCH All the time (24/7)
Advice & Tips: MAY NOT STICK TO SKIN WELL.

Showing 10 of 11 patient evaluations for Fentanyl patch