16 patient evaluations for Topiramate with a burden rating of A little hard to take

132 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 25, 2017 (Started Apr 10, 2017)

Can’t tell (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Can’t tell (for dissociation)
  • Side effects
    Severe (word fishing, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, dizziness and feeling faint)
Dosage: 200 mg Twice daily

May 9, 2017 (Started Feb 18, 2010)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    Major (for migraine headaches)
    Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects

Dec 4, 2010 (Started Feb 18, 2010)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
    Moderate (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects

Mar 17, 2017 (Started Mar 05, 2017)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anorexia nervosa, aphasia, stuttering)
Dosage: 100 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: I suffered from crushing migraines for 40 years.... when i got the 100mg dose 2 x day my migraines disappeared, fir that i will put up with aphasia and stuttering and spelling errors to not have crushing pain for 40 years. i can now wean off the narcotics i took norco 10mg /325 to get pain control to 4-5/10 and now i am pain free it is a good trade.

May 19, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: after trying 4 different kinds of seizure med gained 70 lbs I asked to go back to Dilantin . now they feel other meds or symptoms may be counteracting with my Dilantin from working , trying me on metformin for sugar to help with counteractions .

Mar 8, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I have to take topomax reg DAW because the generic topomax causes me to have , pedimal seizures . No matter what the dr, or insurance co. tells you , the generic is not as safe , always found out many times with other meds .

Mar 15, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (withdrawal effects, insomnia, anxious mood, agitation)
Advice & Tips: I started taking as needed then, realized that it could be contributing to what I believe (self-diagnosed) was Serotonin Syndrome which, combined with everything else I was taking. If you find your condition (of any type) suddenly worse (within minutes or hours), start by asking your doctor about this first. It's taken me a year worth of specialists (who found nothing), psych tests (which proved I wasn't 'making it up'), and SELF RESEARCH to realize my problem. Miraculously, at least the symptoms that have been plaguing me since EXACTLY April of 2012 have gotten about 75% better within about 4 days. It happened so fast, I thought I had had a stroke or was going insane. Don't let this happen to you.

Jul 21, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Major (for Prevent migraine)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (withdrawal effects, insomnia, anxious mood, agitation)
Advice & Tips: Helps when taken. My prescription ran out a few days ago and I haven't gone into the drugstore yet. Will be starting dose again soon. 8/2/12 Pharmacy informs me I haven't refilled since May. Oops!

Jun 30, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2011)

Major (for Prevent migraine)
  • Side effects

Aug 19, 2012 (Started Feb 13, 2003)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Reduced Sweating, alternating constipation and diarrhea, tingling sensation in extremities, constipation, weight loss, difficulty speaking (dysarthria), decreased sweating (hypohidrosis))

Apr 27, 2012 (Started Feb 13, 2003)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Reduced Sweating, alternating constipation and diarrhea, tingling sensation in extremities, constipation, weight loss, difficulty speaking (dysarthria), decreased sweating (hypohidrosis))

Mar 14, 2012 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Can’t tell (for seizures from flashing lights (photosensitive epilepsy))
  • Side effects

Jan 5, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2010)

• Side effects

Jun 16, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, night cramps in legs and feet, numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: I stopped Topamax (generic) in January when my neuro put me on generic keppra. There has not been any improvement with that drug and I do not like the effects of it. Neuro has started me on Topamax again. 06/14/11 I began taking 1/2 caplet of topamax at bedtime along with my regular dose of 4 dilantin and 2 keppra. Gradually I will build the dose up to 2 tablets of topamax daily with 4 dilantin (as before) and stop the keppra. Wish me luck! My meds are all generic prices.
Side effects: suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, numbness in hands, night cramps in legs and feet

Jan 10, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, night cramps in legs and feet, numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: Manage: I took Topamax 2x daily. 1 in the morning with food and 1 in the evening with supper. 2. Benefits: It made lose weight. 3. Impact: Learning to adjust to it's side effects.

Jun 24, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: 1.Manage: Inform and prepare yourself for this drug. If you are experienced with taking medications you may manage well with it. If you are a weak person, you may want to try something else. 2. Benefits: Weight loss and it keeps it off. Please do not use this drug for weight loss!! It might sharpen your cognitive or judgment skills but it's only temporary. Then they may become clouded. 3. Impact: Food flavor may suddenly change. There will be times when you are sleeping that you will awake to your heart pounding in your chest...feeling of impending doom, thoughts of being sicker than you really are and ideas of suicide are side effects you may experience with this drug. Brand name or generic it is a high priced drug.

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Topamax helped me drop weight but that's not why I agreed to take it. I wanted to be seizure free! And the spells stopped for 6 months but then they started up again. One must be very careful when using this drug because it has many side effects. I have learned to recognize them and distinguish the difference between me and the drug but the most bothersome and hardest to cope with is the sudden rush of my heart pounding on my chest. It scares me to death. I think it's time for me to get off this drug. Please be careful if you use this drug. It's also very expensive in generic brand too.

Jun 6, 2011 (Started Feb 10, 2007)

Moderate (for migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (metallic taste in mouth, mental confusion, dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: dry mouth, taste altering, weight changes, confusion
Side effects: dry mouth, mental confusion, metallic taste in mouth

Showing 10 of 16 patient evaluations for Topiramate