6 patient evaluations for Zolpidem with a burden rating of Very hard to take

40 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 15, 2011 (Started Oct 20, 2008)

Can't tell (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (memory loss, sleep eating)
Advice & Tips: One 10mg tab was never enough to induce sleep. I always had to take another tab about 6 hours later, which would allow about 3 hours of sleep. Just not enough. If the doctor would have allowed me to take 2 tabs at once, it would have worked well, as it used to with my Doc in Cincinnati. Early years taking Ambien caused amnesia if my husband were to wake me up for one reason or another, and I did get up and eat at times without memory, but I never left the house as I have heard reported. The sleep was very comfortable when the drug worked. And no morning hangover effect. My new primary phys. rec. I stop the Ambien, and try Deseryl, even though I've tried it in the past without effective results. But, maybe with my different regime of meds at the present, will make a difference.
Side effects: sleep eating, memory loss

Jan 4, 2011 (Started Jan 31, 2000)

Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Major (for insomnia)
    Moderate (for restless feeling in legs)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (tiredness, feeling like i was hit by a mac truck, bad mood, feel like a zombie, hangover effect)
Advice & Tips: If I can get 3 or 4 hrs. Yes! It's better then not having any. Taking this med. I make sure I'm in bed... It does make u do strange things....so that scared me. My granddaughter told me and my daughter.
Side effects: feel like a zombie, hangover effect, bad mood, tiredness, feeling like i was hit by a mac truck

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jan 31, 2000)

Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Major (for insomnia)
    Major (for restless feeling in legs)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (tiredness, bad mood, feel like a zombie, hangover effect)
Advice & Tips: I do sleep for 3 or 4 hours... It's better then NOT sleeping....

Nov 2, 2010 (Started Mar 12, 2010)

None (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Haven't had Ambien to sleep as I haven't been able to leave the house to go to the pharmacy to get the prescription because I have felt so bad. It was working and will refill it when I can get it...hopefully later today because not sleeping well is NOT good!

Nov 1, 2010 (Started Mar 12, 2010)

Major (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects

Sep 17, 2010 (Started Oct 23, 2009)

Moderate (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
    Mild (more off balance when getting up at night)
Side effects: more off balance when getting up at night

Oct 6, 2009 (Started Oct 23, 2009)

Moderate (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
    Mild (more off balance when getting up at night)
Side effects: more off balance when getting up at night

May 22, 2010 (Started May 09, 2010)

Slight (for insomnia)
    Moderate (for restless feeling in legs)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: 10mgs at night, worked exceptionally well, ..... however, once I increased my dosage of Parnate, 15-20mgs is necessary to make me fall asleep, and I wake up 3-4 hours after dosing, and must re-dose in order to go back to sleep. Obviously, Ambien has positive effects besides its Anti-Insomnia properties, these include (for me) - reduction of Anxiety/Depression/OCD/Fibromyalgia/RLS symptoms. I have found Ambien to also be useful for Random unexpected bouts of Akathisia, but positive effects only last 4 hours at most, which limits its usefulness for long periods of time. For Me, Tolerance to the sedative/hypnotic effects of Ambien/Zolpidem occur rapidly with Daily use, (tolerance does not seem to occur for any of the other beneficial effects) --- thus, I occasionally take short breaks from use.

Jan 1, 2000 (Started May 01, 1999)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (amnesia, hallucinations)
Advice & Tips: Ambien (and a few others) make me hallucinate HARD-CORE as if I'd taken 5 hits of acid of something... It's hard to sleep when your tripping out of your mind and you think everyone's out to kill you and your vision is black and white and you can see people's skeleton's under their skin and weird things flying at you. Very Scary and NOT OKAY! Needless to say, I was still up ALL night, only this time I was hiding from my hallucinations. I knew they were hallucinations but it didn't make it any easier to deal with or any less scary. That was what happened the LAST time I took Ambien, about 5 years ago - when I was taking it prior, in my late teens, it gave me severe amnesia and I'd get up after going to bed and do all kinds of odd things, just ask my mom! I even played a card game of Spades, a game I've never played and don't know how to play, and I won! Ha. Not long after that the hallucinations started and I quit taking it. It was given to me one more time 5 years ago - I thought just taking it once should be okay, boy was I WRONG! Tripping balls within 30 minutes. Be very wary of this side effect (although now I hear it's more common knowledge and they even warn of this in the commercial now!)
Side effects: amnesia, hallucinations

Showing 6 of 6 patient evaluations for Zolpidem