8 patient evaluations for Prednisone with a burden rating of Very hard to take

107 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 12, 2012 (Started Apr 13, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, facial swelling/puffiness, manic behaviors, shakiness, sensitivity of teeth, bleeding under the skin on my arms, night cramps in legs and feet, tarry stool, hair loss, memory problems, facial flushing, bloodshot eyes, social withdrawal, dizziness with hypotension upon standing, difficulty staying asleep)
Advice & Tips: The Prednisone dosage began at 10 mg (with 1200 mg of NAC) and gradually reached 40 mg, then was slowly decreased as I began azathioprine; now I take azathiaprine with the NAC which seem to be keeping the disease from encroaching. The prednisone treatment at 40 mg a day for 18 months was extremely negative on my daily life but also extremely effective on my IPF!

Jul 26, 2011 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Major (for Crohn's disease)
  • Side effects
    Severe (swelling in knees, roid rage effects (steroids), dry mouth, increased appetite)
Advice & Tips: Prednisone works but there are reasons for why it's the drug of last resort for Crohn's Disease. It stiffened my joints, particularly my knees, and gave me a raging appetite I could not control. Significant weight gain was the result. My face became swollen, and I got a hump on my back. Altogether, prednisone works, but be prepared for the side effects.
Side effects: swelling in knees, increased appetite, roid rage effects (steroids), dry mouth

Jul 6, 2011 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
Dosage: 5 mg/5 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Prednisone works, but the side effects are serious. Weight gain, binge eating, and facial swelling are all problems.

Nov 21, 2010 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I hate prednisone. The side effects are killer. But it works.

Jun 10, 2011 (Started Apr 08, 2011)

Slight (for autoimmune hemolytic anemia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (yeast infection on the butt, Stretch marks, weight gain, oral thrush (candidiasis), acne breakout, stretch marks, yeast infection (candida), multiple infections, mood swings, chipmunk cheeks, constant hunger, whole body ache, insomnia, excessive anger)
Advice & Tips: Side affects for me: Puffy, swollen cheeks, swollen everywhere really, my acne completely cleared up in the first 10 days and then later became UNBEARABLY awful and embarrassing, developed thrush in my throat and a yeast infection on my ass, got silly little infections from every single cut, my thumb got so infected that it swelled to twice it's normal size and was EXTREMELY painful, I experienced terrible insomnia, outrageous hunger, weight gain (7 pounds), I have TERRIBLE stretch marks now on my hips they are half an inch wide and almost two inches long, one on both sides. Also tons of terrible smaller ones on my ass. Scars on my ass from the yeast infection rash, ridiculous mood swings and constant anger.. Grumpiness and tiredness in general, bad glucose levels in my pee, bone aches, and MORE. One good thing: I did not have any allergies while taking this medication! (Usually a big thing for me)
Side effects: insomnia

Jun 15, 2010 (Started Jun 12, 2010)

Major (for asthma)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sleep problems)

May 7, 2009 (Started Apr 15, 2009)

Major (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue, weight gain, dry mouth, loss of sense of taste, acne breakout, facial swelling/puffiness, increased appetite, roid rage effects (steroids), feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia))
Advice & Tips: My dr. and I have decided to use this treatment as a severe flare treatment only due to the side effects I experienced and the possibility of further compromising my immune system.
Side effects: feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia), increased appetite, loss of sense of taste, acne breakout, dry mouth, weight gain, facial swelling/puffiness, roid rage effects (steroids), fatigue

Feb 1, 2009 (Started Dec 10, 2006)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, dry mouth, loss of sense of taste, facial swelling/puffiness, feeling tense or on edge)
Advice & Tips: See above comments. Wouldn't take this med again if you held a gun to my head! Even if it were free to me.
Side effects: feeling tense or on edge, facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, loss of sense of taste, dry mouth

Aug 31, 2008 (Started Aug 28, 2008)

None (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, dry mouth, increased appetite, feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia))
Advice & Tips: all the above
Side effects: feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia), weight gain, dry mouth, increased appetite

Apr 27, 1985 (Started Nov 27, 1984)

Major (for optic nerve inflammation (optic neuritis))
  • Side effects
    Severe (fatigue, weight gain, facial swelling/puffiness)
Dosage: 50 mg All the time (24/7)
Advice & Tips: hang in there you could regain your eyesight completely like I did
Side effects: facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, fatigue, fatigue

Showing 8 of 8 patient evaluations for Prednisone