74 patient evaluations for Prednisone with a burden rating of Not at all hard to take

1007 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Nov 17, 2018 (Started Oct 15, 2018)

Major (for Bell's palsy)
    Major (for difficulty eating)
    Major (for facial pain)
    Major (for facial paralysis)
    Major (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
  • Side effects
    Mild (bad taste in mouth)

Oct 24, 2018 (Started Oct 15, 2018)

Slight (for Bell's palsy)
    Major (for facial pain)
    Slight (for facial paralysis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (bad taste in mouth)

Aug 24, 2017 (Started Dec 15, 2015)

Can't tell (for bronchospasm)
    Can't tell (for asthma)
    Can't tell (for influenza (the "flu"))
    Can't tell (for pneumonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fluid retention (edema))
Advice & Tips: Currently I just take 20 mg the day before and after my IVIG. I receive 40 mg the day of the infusion as premedication.

Dec 19, 2015 (Started Dec 15, 2015)

Moderate (for pneumonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fluid retention (edema))

Aug 15, 2016 (Started Jan 01, 1985)

Major (for Addison's disease)
    Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (diabetes type 2, weight gain, acute renal failure)
Advice & Tips: Prednisone has long (30 years worth) been my "nasty but necessary" treatment for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It has caused me innumerable side effect problems, including 100lbs of weight gain, the dissolution of my previous marriage, Diabetes II, renal (kidney) failure, etc... Going off of it at various times has made me extremely ill, at least 3 times resulted in my hospitalization. For many years, this was the only RA treatment that functioned consistently and allowed me to continue living my life at least somewhat normally.

Jul 21, 2016 (Started Sep 15, 2015)

Moderate (for arthritis pain)
    Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
    Slight (for inflammation in joints)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood swings, insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep), weight gain, dry skin, excessive thirst (polydipsia))
Advice & Tips: This is low cost but the side effects are worth considering. For short term use not an issue. For long term however, it has weight gain and insomnia, anxiousness, and need to taper of slowly or major withdrawals an issue. It seems for me it is no longer as effective from long term use.

Apr 17, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

None (for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome)
    Can't tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), elevated blood pressure, stretch marks, moon face, weight gain, blurry vision, bruising, rash on face)
Dosage: 1.25 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Down to 1,25 mg since five days. The day after I woke with face rash that worsened during the day and the day after. Try to treat with lavender oil and coconut oil. A little better. Have always had perfect skin. Read somewhere that it might well be effect of tapering, happened to others too. More pain, especially in the thighs (that's why the GP thought it was PMR), weaker, stiffer, feel like I might fall when walking the rest of the day if I take a short walk (300 m) earlier in the day. On the plus side: moon face and double chin visibly reduced. Can't wait to get off completely next week.

Apr 8, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Can't tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), elevated blood pressure, stretch marks, moon face, weight gain, blurry vision, bruising)
Dosage: 2.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Turns out I never had PMR. Very difficult to come off. Suddenly easier when came down to 5 mg than earlier (from 40, started being difficult at 27,5 already). Positive: very strong nails, but that is the only one. The side effects are difficult. Especially sad for all the big and ugly stretch marks everywhere that will remain. Looking forward to getting rid of the moon face and the pred belly.

Mar 5, 2015 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Moderate (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (flushing, feeling feverish, wired, tachycardia (fast heart rate), moon face)
Advice & Tips: At 40 mg I am far from well (still weak, unable to stand for long and can't walk too far), but I have started to wake up rested in the mornings the last week or so, not in too much pain, less flu symptoms, and am able to think properly (calmly and methodically) for the first time in 19 years. The side effects seem to come a few days into new or elevated dose, stay for a week or two and then lessen as the body adjusts.

May 3, 2015 (Started Oct 06, 2011)

Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
    None (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (rashes (redness, swelling))

Mar 15, 2015 (Started Oct 06, 2011)

Can't tell (for rheumatoid arthritis)
    Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (rashes (redness, swelling))

Nov 22, 2014 (Started Aug 15, 2014)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (skin thinning, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I was tapering from Dexamethasone to no steroids.

May 31, 2014 (Started Sep 06, 2013)

Major (for gastrointestinal bleeding)
    Major (for Crohn's disease)
    Major (for Crohn's flare up)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, shaky hands, insomnia, hunger, weight gain, mood elevated or improved, feeling of heart pounding)
Advice & Tips: Expect weight gain and nervousness, for sure... probably insomnia too. Never go off of the medication without TAPERING the doseage down. Once you start tapering down and your flare-up has subsided, you can take more of the doseage in the morning than in the evening. In fact, once I get down to 40mg/day I take one 20mg tab as early in the morning as possible and then the other 20mg tab around noon. After a few days of this, I start sleeping better (though sometimes it is still hard to get to sleep). Taking melatonin or other herbal sleep remedies can help at night, as well. If I do happen to get tired during the day I take advantage of it and nap. The anxiousness just sort of comes with the territory. For me, it goes away once I'm down to about 20mg per day. It is bearable because I know the reason and I know that I'd rather be anxious than bleeding to death from Crohn's disease. :P I have noticed that this time my mood seems to be much better than usual. Even when I don't feel physically very good, I seem to have a positive mental outlook, which is super rare for me.

Sep 6, 2013 (Started Sep 06, 2013)

Major (for gastrointestinal bleeding)
    Major (for Crohn's disease)
    Major (for Crohn's flare up)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, mood elevated or improved)

Feb 17, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Moderate (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Severe (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: BP is high..need to taper down

Feb 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, high blood pressure (hypertension), fluid retention weight gain, bruising)
Advice & Tips: This drug is a double edged sword. It has controlled my symptoms better than any other drug. But the long term usage (8years) has suppressed my adrenals to the point that they make the taper very difficult. I am at 25 mg. and going to try a very slow taper of .5mg/month. Any faster and the withdrawal symptoms are so difficult. I will talk to my doctor this week about whether I need to add methotrexate before attempting the taper. The less prednisone I take the more pain med I require.

Jan 12, 2014 (Started Dec 20, 2005)

Major (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This has been the only drug that has improved my quality of life. It is the biggest help for pain. BUT...I was put on it and not tapered off until my body had become totally dependent and my adrenal glands suppressed for too long and will not work now. I personally believe I now have adrenal insufficiency from being on prednisone way too long. I am hoping the appt I have with a new Rheumatologist will provide some fresh approach and answers. IF I taper down more than 1/2mg over 1-2 weeks I have a major flare. Can not think, hard to function and move. Right now I am on 20mg.

Jul 14, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I will no longer take Prednisone at any dosage. It makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Extreme weepiness, depression, anger. For me, it is awful.

Jul 11, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)

Jun 1, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: Wane down carefully as prescribed. I started with 20 mg daily last month, and after 2 weeks, went to 15 mg for 4 days, then 10 mg for 4 days, and I will get to 5 mg.

Apr 19, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2013)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, mood swings, abdominal bloating)
Advice & Tips: I hated being on Prednisone, and was never able to see if it had positive effects because I stopped after a couple months. The bloating, weight gain, and moodiness were too much for me to handle. I gained 10-15 pounds while taking it (which is quite extreme on my petite 5'2'' frame). Also, my mood swings were uncontrollable. The drug wasn't for me, and possibly because I was put on too high of a dosage. Because of my bad experience, I never take steroids, unless it is a 1-time injection to help my immune system beat a cold.

Showing 10 of 74 patient evaluations for Prednisone