4 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline with a adherence rating of Never taken as prescribed

66 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 1, 2012 (Started Jun 11, 2012)

None (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects

Jul 1, 2011 (Started Jan 15, 2007)

Moderate (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: caused too much daytime sleepiness
Side effects: weight gain

May 31, 2010 (Started Jan 15, 2007)

Slight (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I believe it contributes to weight gain
Side effects: weight gain

Oct 23, 2010 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: I had been taking this drug as a sleeping pill for insomnia as I can't take sleeping pill due to bad reactions to them. I am very sensitive to drugs and especially this one. I could only take 1/4 of the recommended dose to sleep through the night or I'd be sleeping for a few days. This worked fine for a while but all of a sudden I started getting bad reactions from this drug.
Side effects: grogginess, mood changes, excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence)

Jul 25, 2010 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: this would be a fairly good treatment except for the drowsiness it causes in the morning. I used this drug as a sleeping pill because I'm very sensitive to it. I would take a quarter of this pill to give me a drowsiness to be able to fall asleep.A whole pill would knock me out for 2 days! but all of a sudden I started having bad reactions to taking the quarter of a pill. I would feel really strange and almost suicidal or something like that , strange thoughts would go through my head and then I would have pain in my stomache, weird feelings in my head and shortness of breath and was unable to sleep until the drug lost it's power. I really don't understand it because sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. I think if I have to use it to often I do get a reaction but If I haven't used it in a long time, like a few months then I don't get a reaction.

Jun 4, 2009 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Can't tell (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: Good for insomnia to help you sleep through the night if your not too sensitive to it. Good for when you wake up and can't go back to sleep. Keeps you drowsy so you can fall back to sleep fast. bad if you need to do something important in the morning.

Sep 1, 2010 (Started Jan 16, 2008)

Can't tell (for fibromyalgia)

Showing 4 of 4 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline