9 patient evaluations for Prednisone with a adherence rating of Usually

107 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Apr 6, 2017 (Started Jan 24, 2017)

Major (for fibromyalgia)
    Major (for hypermobility syndrome)
    Major (for inflammation)
    Major (for pain)
    Major (for undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (manic behaviors, unrefreshing or poor sleep)
Advice & Tips: If you are diabetic, I suggest a Paleo diet or low carb, no sugar diet to off set the increase in glucose levels. Plus it helps with the inflammation and weight loss.

Aug 3, 2011 (Started Mar 10, 2010)

Moderate (for heart transplant)
Dosage: 2.5 mg Every other day
Advice & Tips: This medicine will make you very fat in the face. And if you are on a high dose, you will be extremely hungry.

Jul 14, 2011 (Started Aug 30, 2002)

Major (for granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (irritability, weight gain, fluid retention weight gain, constant hunger, insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep))
Advice & Tips: Do research yourself on how to wean off of prednisone or any steroid. My doc's orders did not seem to be complete, for coming down from higher doses all the way to nothing. At 15mg, your body will react badly if you do not moderate the dosage (a lower one than you have been coming down from. If, say, you've been coming down by 5 or 2.5mg a week, at 15mg you need to come down slower or you could suffer severe and even life-threatening withdrawal. You need to be sure your body is now making cortisol itself in sufficient quantities -- I was told none of this -- and there is even a test for this: ask for the "ACTH" test. If you get sicker when coming weaning down, do the research to check to see if you're possibly coming down too fast. Call your doc & request the test. You may even want to go up a little on your dosage, and come down more slowly, until you get in to the office to be seen.
Side effects: irritability, weight gain, fluid retention weight gain, insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep), constant hunger

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Jul 01, 1994)

Major (for transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (skin sensitivity)
Advice & Tips: yes, acne and weight gain are a problem but not as much so as skin and bone issues. see a dermatologist and have bone density tests regularly and wear sunscreen always.
Side effects: skin sensitivity

Mar 29, 2010 (Started Jul 01, 1994)

Can't tell (for transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (skin sensitivity)
Advice & Tips: Some worry about the hair growth, weight gain, etc. I needed to gain a few pounds around the time of my transplant but since I got a kidney from my brother I was not on prednisone right away. It wasn't until 4 1/2 years later, when they thought I was having a rejection (I was not) that they put me on it. The dose was quite high at first and I did put on about 30 pounds but for many years now I have been on 5mg per day and have lost most of the weight I gained. Certainly weight gain is a side effect of prednisone along with hair growth, night sweats (never had that one), nightmares (had a few of those) but they are nothing compared to the bone loss from long term use. I have been on pred for over 15 years and have been experiencing a decrease in bone density. I was on actonel for a couple years but it really upset my stomach and since it seemed my bone loss has not gotten worse for the past couple years, I have discontinued the actonel. I will be hitting menopause any year so I'm sure I will be doing something to keep those bones strong. fortunately there are new treatments available and I am hoping for an easier time with it. Another possible side effect is high blood pressure. I have been fortunate not to have this one either but patients do need to keep tabs of it especially on prednisone.
Side effects: skin sensitivity

Jun 24, 2010 (Started May 03, 2010)

Can't tell (for transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (head pain, migraines)
Advice & Tips: Right after I started taking this I developed migraines. When one put me in the hospital this was the drug they lowered the Rx on. I had never had migraines. I'd rather be stabbed or shot. I walk around on eggshells now.
Side effects: head pain, migraines

May 16, 2009 (Started Oct 16, 2008)

None (for fibromyalgia)
    Slight (for arthritis pain)
    Slight (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (insomnia, weight gain, increased appetite, roid rage effects (steroids), feeling tense or on edge)
Side effects: increased appetite, feeling tense or on edge, roid rage effects (steroids), insomnia, insomnia, weight gain

Feb 1, 2009 (Started Dec 10, 2006)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, dry mouth, loss of sense of taste, facial swelling/puffiness, feeling tense or on edge)
Advice & Tips: See above comments. Wouldn't take this med again if you held a gun to my head! Even if it were free to me.
Side effects: feeling tense or on edge, facial swelling/puffiness, weight gain, loss of sense of taste, dry mouth

Aug 31, 2008 (Started Aug 28, 2008)

None (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain, dry mouth, increased appetite, feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia))
Advice & Tips: all the above
Side effects: feeling tense or on edge, elevated blood sugar (hyperglycemia), weight gain, dry mouth, increased appetite

May 7, 1990 (Started Apr 11, 1990)

Major (for transplant rejection prevention)
    Moderate (for adrenal insufficiency)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (moon face)
Dosage: 5 mg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I did not realize I would get that much of a different appearance. I was devistated at the age of 16 to go from underweight to the fat kid everyone made fun of. Even my first boyfriend ever left me and my brothers told me it was because of my weight. After that I had not taken it as much as I should have because I become depressed and felt at that time I would rather be skinny and on dialysis and loved than transplanted and fat and lonely. Years later (the 2nd time around) I know that looks are not everything. My weight is still bothersome for me but this time around spending a longer length of time on dialysis I am more grateful for this gift of life and take it. I noticed however that supposedly I don't have my original adrenal glands (original kidneys removed) yet those times without taking Prednisone I did not notice any difference other than lost the moon face and lost my kidney).
Side effects: moon face, weight gain

Showing 9 of 9 patient evaluations for Prednisone