119 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine

1619 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2012)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (emotional lability, lack of motivation)
Advice & Tips: lack of emotion

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Dec 30, 2012)

Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for social anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (night sweats, sweaty hands)

Jul 1, 2013 (Started Jul 01, 2013)

None (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (exhaustion)

Apr 18, 2013 (Started Mar 23, 2013)

Major (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (constipation)
Advice & Tips: Taking this medication has changed my life greatly. I went from wanting to literally kill myself to being able to smile and laugh with my family and friends again. I have smiled more since I have been on this medication than since I can really remember. The only bad part about the medication is some insurances do not cover it and it is very expensive. It can range from 50 dollars to well over 100. If you have any type of Medicaid you have to get a pre-authorization.

Mar 1, 2013 (Started Jun 03, 2011)

Slight (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sexual dysfunction)
Advice & Tips: Very difficult to withdraw from. Made me sexually promiscuous, a little known side effect.

Feb 7, 2013 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

Moderate (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Can't tell (for persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia))
    Moderate (for chronic idiopathic axonal polyneuropathy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (vivid nightmares, sleepiness, somnolence, apathy, orthostatic hypotension, sexual dysfunction, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Dosage: 24.75 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Effects both positive and adverse, both expected and unexpected, are pretty noticeable. Venlafaxine effects appear and fade much more rapidly than with SSRIs, and may change over time. By the time I stopped, I had been down to the lowest available dose of 25mg daily, which still seemed necessary for mood control, for a long time. It's been mostly helpful, and rarely burdensome except for the way it multiplies the effects of alcohol. Best unexpected benefit: mood control (less panicky/angry responses to cognitive dissonance). Intolerable imputed effect: Vividly unpleasant dreams, waking hyperventilating.
Side effects: excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), sleepiness, somnolence, orthostatic hypotension, sexual dysfunction, apathy, tachycardia (fast heart rate)

Mar 1, 2010 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Moderate (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects
    Mild (sleepiness, somnolence, apathy, orthostatic hypotension, sexual dysfunction, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Adverse effects now virtually disappear for me at 25 mg daily. This could change: some effects like the pounding in the ears at night or postural hypotension had previously disappeared at 37.5 mg; alarmingly rapid heart rate appeared over time at the same dosage (possibly associated with the transient hypotension). I'm still getting the good effects for the neuropathy, and the drug seems to act synergetically with cannabis in this area. The hypotension effect is probably aggravated by alcohol.

Nov 13, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Can't tell (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects
    Mild (sleepiness, somnolence, apathy, orthostatic hypotension, sexual dysfunction)
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlaxafine seemed effective (within limits) for peripheral neuropathy and positive for relief of depression. Physical adverse effects at this dosage seemed minimal if any. Unresolved: Did this drug bliss me out too much, keeping me passive and lazy? And did it make me more suddenly irritable? I quit because of a pharmacy restriction (ironically based on the fact that I was taking "too little" of the drug), and will resume the trial once I talk to my primary provider in about 10 days.

Oct 28, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

Major (for anxious mood)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sleepiness, somnolence, apathy, orthostatic hypotension, sexual dysfunction)
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlafaxine by itself seems both to increase my alertness and to bliss me out a little too much; I get lethargic at 75 mg daily. Even at 37.5 mg, I've added (after a bit of research) my previous low dose of bupropion (25 mg) back into the mix as a counterbalancing "upper". Although intermittent, I'm seeing some direct effects on the depression: e.g., posture as well as mood.

Jan 7, 2013 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia nervosa)
    Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (dizziness, temperature dysregulation, memory lapses (brain blinks), night sweats, heart palpitations, orthostatic hypotension, brain shocks, feeling faint (presyncope))
Advice & Tips: Be very careful of this drug. It worked for a while but stopping me falling into the deep lows, but having come off it I realised it has been like living through a fog the last 4 years. I have been sleepwalking and I am just waking up. I can feel a whole range of emotions, happiness even, that was hazed in gray before. The side effects of coming off them were horrible, but worth it to Feel again. I felt dizzy, drunk, I slurred and my depth perception was off. I lost balance and images seemed to flicker, I couldn't always tell if the ground was level, I forgot things easily, lost my train of thought, felt disconnected and at times euphoric but countered by the instability. Now I am calming down, I found my energy is up so much, insomnia came back but I don't care, I can stay awake more than 6 hours and I can do things without feeling so tired. I am more productive, more creative and just more Me now that I am off them. Only take anti depressants when you have no other safe choice. I was at that point, but I was so low I was bullied into by the doctors, I believe in learning to live with and recognise my symptoms so I can get help. I want to try natural remedies in future if I get into a Low again because just not feeling the acute despair was not worth giving up feeling everything else for.
Side effects: brain shocks, night sweats, feeling faint (presyncope), orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, heart palpitations, temperature dysregulation, memory lapses (brain blinks)

Jun 30, 2011 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: WARNING: There are SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms from missing a dose and discontinuing this drug. I seriously recommend talking to your GP about side effects and withdrawal symptoms before considering this treatment and to take into account your reliability for taking the drugs on time!

Nov 17, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

Can't tell (for anorexia (appetite loss))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness, temperature dysregulation, night sweats, heart palpitations, orthostatic hypotension, brain shocks, feeling faint (presyncope))

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Forgetting to take my medication is the main problem as the withdrawal symptoms are severe, 'brain zaps' dizziness, lightheadedness, problems focusing, slurred speak, slight visual impairment, heart palpitations and confusion. When I am taking it regularly it does not improve my mood, but prevents me from falling into severe lows; I feel as though I am hit a safety net a neutral or slight low rather than spiralling into severe depression.

Oct 11, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Side effects

Nov 15, 2012 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Major (for depressed mood)
    Major (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I was taking a 300mg dose of this medication and slowly tapered off of it over a course of six weeks. Everything was fine during the taper, it was just getting off that final dose (75mg) that was hard. I felt like I had the flu: shivering, nausea, loss of appetite.

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

• Side effects

Nov 7, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: This has been an excellent medication for me as long as I take it every day as prescribed.

Mar 25, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Take this medication at the same time everyday and do not skip more than one day of taking it or else you will begin to feel horrible withdrawal symptoms. But I have Effexor XR to be extremely effective in treating my depression. I would caution anyone that considers taking this drug for a long period of time to be aware that it can be very difficult to get off of. You will need to titrate down your dose in very small increments under your doctor's supervision.

Dec 10, 2008 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: As best you can, take this medication at the same time every day. For a long time I was taking only 150mg a day and didn't feel any benefits from the medication. However, when my psychiatrist increased my dose to 300mg a day, I could detect a significant improvement in mood. This is a relatively high dose for this medication and it can cause an increase in blood pressure. Fortunately this has not been an issue for me but might be something for others to take into consideration. Also, I take the XR-capsules and I can tell a difference between the XR and non-XR.

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Aug 16, 2012)

Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects

Aug 15, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 2012)

Showing 10 of 119 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine