34 patient evaluations for Oxcarbazepine

297 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 15, 2010 (Started Nov 03, 2010)

None (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (depressed mood, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: This was added to my Lamictal to try to control my seizures. I was never able to increase the dose beyond 75 mg twice a day. It caused me to retain fluid, elevate my blood pressure and made me extremely fatigued. Ended up being admitted through the ER with a blood pressure of 203/109. No other cause was found. I have now started titrating Lyrica and hope that will work.
Side effects: depressed mood, weight gain, depressed mood, weight gain

Dec 13, 2010 (Started Nov 03, 2010)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (depressed mood, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I was unable to take the prescribed dosage of 150 MG twice daily. It made me very lethargic and flat. I had no interest in getting off the couch. The sedation is intolerable. I have been on 75 mg twice daily for a month. That isn't stopping the small seizures.
Side effects: depressed mood, weight gain, depressed mood, weight gain

Dec 5, 2010 (Started Nov 03, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (depressed mood, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Sedation and memory problems when titrating. Couldn't increase to 150mg twice daily because of severe effect of increased dosage
Side effects: depressed mood, weight gain, depressed mood, weight gain

Nov 18, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2005)

Slight (for seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Mild (sensitivity to sudden loud noises, wake up feeling just as tired as before nap)
Advice & Tips: i remember taking all my meds by putting them all in a am pm weekly pill box. it helps me greatly. I am a forgetful person due to brain surgery. question # 2 and 3 are answered by taking all my meds together i take 4 meds that work together to keep my siezures under control.
Side effects: wake up feeling just as tired as before nap, sensitivity to sudden loud noises, sensitivity to sudden loud noises

Nov 18, 2010 (Started Nov 10, 2010)

Can't tell (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (tiredness)
Advice & Tips: For the week I took this medication, admittedly immediately after stopping 100 mg Lamictal abruptly, I experienced a drugged feel, significant tiredness, and brain fog/an inability to think clearly. I started at 300 mg twice a day and was supposed to add another 300 mg in the morning, but given how I felt my doctor advised me to stop taking the medication altogether. Hmmm, I wonder what I get to try next?
Side effects: brain fog, tiredness, tiredness

Nov 18, 2010 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Major (for depressed mood)
Dosage: 300 mg/5 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Taking this completely changed my life. For years my depression had been misdiagnosed as chemical when it was actually the result of a head injury when I was 5. A psychiatrist who actually bothered to take a detailed history decided to try giving me an anti-convulsant to treat the organic injury rather than just treat the symptoms. Within a week it had almost completely changed my mood and got rid of the PTSD-like thoughts that had dominated my life for decades. That doctor changed my life. Thank you.

Oct 10, 2010 (Started Aug 06, 2006)

Major (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (muscle shaking)
Advice & Tips: I got toxic on even a slight increase in my dosage, but the right amount really does the job.
Side effects: muscle shaking

Sep 28, 2010 (Started Jun 10, 2010)

Slight (for depressed mood)
    Slight (for seizures (grand mal or tonic-clonic))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (short term memory problems, dizzy spells)
Side effects: short term memory problems, dizzy spells

Sep 13, 2010 (Started May 14, 2012)

Major (for pain)
  • Side effects

Jul 18, 2010 (Started Sep 04, 2004)

Moderate (for seizures (complex partial))
Dosage: 300 mg/5 mL Daily
Advice & Tips: Caused low sodium even with fluid restrictive diet .Increased edema to lower extremities.I also experienced more shortness of air.Frequent irregular. heartbeat PVC's & PAC's.Felt upper abdominal fullness and weight gain even with exercise and diet.Craved carbs on this medicine.Felt brain fog much of time.It also made me feel pretty "so who cares!" about many things.This is just not the normal me.Needed more frequent inhaler and nebulizer treatments on this medicine.

Jul 1, 2010 (Started Jul 01, 2009)

Moderate (for trigeminal neuralgia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weakness in leg(s))
Advice & Tips: I found that Trileptal alleviated my facial/ear/head pain! Trigeminal neuralgia is the worst pain anyone can experience. It is debilitating. Trileptal calmed the nerve so I was able to sleep and somewhat function, until inflammation diminished. But, it makes me woozy, and weakened my legs. I fell a lot while taking this med.

May 6, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Moderate (for muscle spasms in legs)
Dosage: 3 x 300 mg/5 mL Daily