94 patient evaluations for Levetiracetam

634 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Feb 11, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2008)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))

Feb 7, 2012 (Started Aug 14, 2010)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, upset stomach)
Advice & Tips: THE XR IS THE BEST THE KEPPRA IS THE BEST. THE MAIL ORDER SENT ME THE GENERIC THE OTHER WEEK AND I TRIED IT AND I NOTICED SEIZURE ACTIVITY THAT DAY. SWALLOWING AND NAUSEA IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE BUT THE SEIZURES ARE A LOT BETTER!
Side effects: upset stomach, anxious mood

May 30, 2010 (Started Aug 14, 2010)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: timer from e-pill for taking pills 5 times a day. timer on phone and pill box
Side effects: upset stomach, anxious mood

Feb 1, 2012 (Started May 13, 2005)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: Being seizurefree, I have no complaints and got my hair back :)

Jan 24, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (ataxia (lack of coordination), decreased appetite, cognitive impairment, difficulty recalling words (dysnomia))
Dosage: 6 tab(s) Daily
Advice & Tips: Take lots of B6 (Pyroxidine HCL) and B12, Keppra depletes your natural stores.

Jan 5, 2012 (Started Nov 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue)
Side effects: fatigue

Nov 30, 2010 (Started Nov 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fatigue)
Side effects: fatigue

Mar 27, 2010 (Started Nov 29, 2010)

Side effects: fatigue

Jan 3, 2012 (Started May 28, 2007)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (weight gain, rage, hair loss, awkward taste in food, sleepiness, loopy feeling)
Advice & Tips: I take Keppra because I originally started out on Dilantin which hit my liver hard the minute I started taking it. Although Keppra is VERY good at keeping the grand mals away, I have very little time that I feel energetic.

Aug 16, 2011 (Started May 28, 2007)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: While Keppra seems to do a very good job of stopping grand mals in their tracks, I still have quite frequent absence seizures, visual auras, olfactory auras (more often than visual) and serious memory issues. On top of all that, I have fits of rage out of nowhere that can last for up to several hours in which case I stay in my bedroom away from the rest of the family. Even though I have been taking Keppra for years, it STILL makes me groggy, especially if I have to take pain killers of any kind. I have also recently noticed having some problems with things tasting wrong, if not totally disgusting. Foods that I normally love taste gross. I have also lost a lot of hair since I started taking Keppra, but I have to admit it could possibly just be coincidental that I am 52 and just thinning out due to age.

Jul 26, 2011 (Started May 28, 2007)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain, rage, hair loss, awkward taste in food, sleepiness, loopy feeling)
Advice & Tips: Even though Keppra has worked much better than Dilantin or Topomax, it still makes me tired much of the day and I sometimes have rage issues that are hard to deal with. Oh, and my hair has thinned out since I started taking it, but then again I am 52 and I guess that might be due to aging. =/

Nov 14, 2011 (Started Sep 15, 2011)

Moderate (for sciatic neuralgia)
    None (for herniated disc)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Levetiracetam (Keppra) was the only drug that provided relief from very unpleasant tingling sensations and feelings of 'electric shocks' due to sciatic pain (resulting from a herniated disk). Keppra did not help with the pain sensations but I estimate that it reduced the tingling sensations and the 'electric shocks' sensations by around 40%-50%, which was very significant for me. The drug led to dizziness/drowsiness that completely disappeared after 2 days. I tried to take more than 750 mg/twice daily, up to 1500 mg/twice daily. However, there were no additional benefits for me from taking the higher dose so I returned to the dose of 750 mg/twice daily. Most physiatrists are not very much familiar with this drug. If you suffer from sciatic pain or herniated disc disease and you want to try taking anti-convulsants, I advise to do it with a neurologist, and not a physiatrist. Many drugs for chronic pain are anti-convulsants and neurologists have plenty of experience in prescribing them.

Nov 11, 2011 (Started May 01, 2008)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (loss of feeling in feet)
Advice & Tips: Since the Keepra does make you drowsy I try and get a good nights sleep.I also take vitamins such as vitamin B Plus,C,and a Multi Vitamin.I have research and have tried to eliminate caffeine.sugar,pop,etc.Since four out of the five grand mal seizures I had were at night while asleep My Doctor prescribed that I take 2 500 mg at 7:00 AM and 1 500 mg at 7:00 PM.For awhile my loving wife had to remind me to take the medicine as I sort of blocked it out that I even had them at all.But the med is working and my Doctor has agreed that I could attempt to wean off the medicine in the spring of 2012 if I wanted to knowing I couldn't drive a car for quite some time if I do.

Oct 24, 2011 (Started Feb 08, 2009)

Major (for spasms)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily

Oct 25, 2010 (Started Feb 08, 2009)

• Side effects

Sep 3, 2010 (Started Feb 08, 2009)

• Side effects

Jun 21, 2010 (Started Feb 08, 2009)

Advice & Tips: Still have hyperreflexes and will have spasms but not as severe

Oct 20, 2011 (Started Oct 21, 2008)

Slight (for epilepsy)