85 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1b SubQ Injection

588 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 9, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fuzzy thinking, feel lousy, injection site reaction, fever, headaches, fever/chills, bruising, injection site pain)
Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I had the nurses injecting me as I lost too much Grip in my hands to do it myself. Site reactions differ, but normally get red blotches that come up like bruises. I gained an extra 1-2 months between relapses and found that instead of the MS going for my legs, they changed to going for my hands, go figure!!
Side effects: fever, fever/chills, fuzzy thinking, headaches, injection site pain, feel lousy, bruising, injection site reaction

Mar 21, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fuzzy thinking, feel lousy, injection site reaction, fever, headaches, fever/chills, bruising, injection site pain)
Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day

Feb 7, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I have found this to work as far as giving me extra time between relapses, but I have yet to determie whether it is reducing severity or not. My main issue is with site reactions, but it is not too severe, just frequent. must just be me!

Oct 12, 2009 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I am finding this drug to be beneficial in reducing the severity of my relapses as well as buying me extra time, the 30% statistic is correct for me. I am finding that my site reaction bruising and pain is now taking alot more time to disappear, 8 weeks on average, stopping me from going back to that site for a while instead of the recommended 4 weeks. other than that, there has been no adverse reactions or side-effects since the flu like symptoms stopped.

Jun 13, 2009 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I didn't know whether this drug was working until I had a relapse with my legs. 11 months into treatment and onto my second relapse (this one affecting my legs for comparison) I have been given an extra 2 months between my frequent 5-6 monthly relapses. My relapses concerning my legs are normally an auto epidural which causes weakness too, the next relapse in June 2009 was just numbness from my toes to knees without any weakness, my hands were also affected, but probably could have been more severe.

Mar 1, 2009 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day
Advice & Tips: allow the whole day to get over any side effects caused by being a new user. allow extra time the following days for any site pain, especially in legs and arms which can slow you down as your winching alot.

Oct 28, 2008 (Started Oct 01, 2008)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (fuzzy thinking, injection site reaction, fever, headaches, fever/chills)
Dosage: 250 mcg Every other day

Nov 10, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

None (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: For some this treatment works as for me it didn't. I would like to THANK All those at NOVARTISE for their help and followup care. After careful thought and prayer and numerous office visits with different Hospitals. I will be Starting Novantrone in February 2011 This gives me the best option of continuum of care without closing the door on other options. so we will try this first then Cytotoxen and Tysabri last instead of first.
Side effects: burning pain at injection site, flu like symptoms, injection site bruising, mild side effects, injection site irritation

Sep 28, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I started Extavia in January 2010 and this is what I recommend Taking Aleve 4 hours prior to injection time then Tylenol 1 hour prior to injection. I had an MRI done in June there were two lesions more. Then I had another MRI done in September. I´m waiting on the results and will be going for a follow up visit in October to discuss the results and to see if the Extavia is producing the results expected. If not there will be a jump to IV Therapy.

May 31, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I feel as though this medication is working I am no longer taking any pre meds before injection time.

Mar 24, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: The side effects have diminished, I have experienced very little during effects. For this I´m grateful. Although, I continue to take one Tylenol 500 mg. 1 hour prior to injection. This a downgrade of medication prior to injection from 2 Tylenol 500 mg 4 hours prior and 2 Aleve 1 hour prior . To be at this point took over a month.

Mar 9, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (burning pain at injection site, mild side effects, injection site irritation, injection site bruising, flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: My side effects are calming down with my arm and leg injections and the bruising with my abdomen injection site are calming down as well.

Feb 20, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (burning pain at injection site, injection site irritation, injection site bruising, flu like symptoms)
Advice & Tips: Injection site bruising

Feb 17, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (burning pain at injection site, injection site irritation, flu like symptoms)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Feb. 16 2010 Placed injection for the first time in Abdomen on right side Middle location: This was the first time that I have had a reaction such as this since beginning treatment with Extavis. My reaction was one hour after injection time of 8:30 P.M on 02/16/2010 1) Light Nausea 2) Difficulty sleeping was awake most of the night 3) Acid Reflux 4) Increase in headache discomfort This reaction lasted almost 20 hrs.

Feb 11, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (burning pain at injection site, injection site irritation)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I have used Extavia seven times so far. I have not used the abdomen location for injections. I have used my left arm for the second time this is the only time that I felt a slight burn as the Extavia was going into my arm. I do follow a strict protocol before injection time 8:30 pm 4 hrs prior I take two Aleve then 1 hour prior to injection I take two 500 mg. Tylenol and bed by 10:00 pm this seems to have reduced any adverse reactions that others have had with Betaseron or Extavia.

Jan 30, 2010 (Started Jan 29, 2010)

Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Extavia, is exactly the same as Betaseron there is no difference in the product except the price Betaseron $ 2,500.00 and Extavia $ 3,600.00 a month. They, Novartis, is under contract with Bayer. Novartis, has a PAP program where based on your income it can be no charge for the product the first year or there is a reduction in price based on your income. Here is their number: 866-925-2333 Monday through Friday 8am - 8pm EST What we have noticed is that the support team at Novartis ( Extavia ) is absolutely wonderful. If you ever have a question, any question call them, they will answer that question quickly or put you to the person that is handling that issue for you. Novartis has a program called: Extavia, Your Guide to Beginning Therapy We have watched the DVD several times even before receiving the Extavia. this very informative and carefully designed to answer questions you may have. I recommend watching the DVD again even when your doing this by yourself until your comfortable with the process of setting up the injection and the Auto injector. They were in touch with my Neurologist quickly and my supplies were sent before I knew it was coming. Next day FED EX. I received two packages separately one was the Auto Injector which your doctor has to prescribe, and then the vials that COME IN A BOX 15 VIALS. Injections are every other day. After receiving each box, Novartis, called to verify I received the package, within 10 minutes of each delivery. In addition, Novartis setś up a Nurse to come to your house to help you get started with the program and trains you in the use of injection therapy. Based on advice from other users of this product the following was recommended: Before using this product, this is what I did I set my Injection time for 8:30 PM Prior to this time I did this: 1) I took 2 tablets of Aleve to alleviate the side effectś. 4 hours ahead of injection time. 2) 1/2 hour prior to injection two Tylenol 500 mg each. About an 1 1/2 hours later I was in bed sleeping * This is with regards to the Auto Injector, USE IT !!!! the needle is very tiny 27 gauge needle. and looking at the whole shot it appears large and maybe, I don't want to do this. With the Auto Injector all your looking at is the plastic case and push the button count to 10 and it´s over. THIS IS SO EASY !!! I used this last night for the first time with no problem. AND EASED MY APPREHENSION ALOT... Side effects: Injection site is alittle tender to touch nothing severe. If anyone has a question JUST ASK please Iĺl respond Thank you Brian

Feb 4, 2008 (Started Jun 16, 2005)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (depressed mood)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Weekly
Side effects: depressed mood

Nov 6, 2000 (Started Jul 01, 2000)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (coma)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: really research it first
Side effects: coma

Aug 31, 2008 (Started Oct 31, 2007)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (flu like symptoms, elevated liver enzymes, headaches, bruising, depressed mood)
Dosage: 0.15 mg Every other day
Advice & Tips: I feel certain that Betaseron caused me to feel quite depressed.
Side effects: headaches, elevated liver enzymes, bruising, flu like symptoms, depressed mood

Sep 4, 2008 (Started Feb 10, 2006)

Can't tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (flu like symptoms, headaches, bruising)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Every other day
Side effects: headaches, bruising, flu like symptoms

Jun 15, 1996 (Started Jun 15, 1993)

Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (injection site pain, fever, bruising, headaches, flu like symptoms, feel lousy)
Side effects: bruising, flu like symptoms, headaches, injection site pain, feel lousy, fever

Nov 18, 1997 (Started Apr 26, 1995)

Major (for Don't know)
  • Side effects
    Severe (injection site pain, flu like symptoms, suicidal thoughts or urges, headaches, depressed mood)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: marijuana works better!
Side effects: headaches, suicidal thoughts or urges, flu like symptoms, injection site pain, depressed mood

Oct 10, 2007 (Started Jan 18, 2007)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (feel lousy, injection site pain, flu like symptoms, headaches, depressed mood)
Side effects: feel lousy, flu like symptoms, injection site pain, depressed mood, headaches

Nov 20, 2008 (Started Nov 20, 2008)

Moderate (for General health)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (sleep problems)
Dosage: 0.3 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: weening on it sux but its worth it,need 2 b on therepy and it works good.
Side effects: sleep problems

Showing 10 of 85 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1b SubQ Injection