14 patient evaluations for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy

149 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Apr 13, 2010 (Started Sep 08, 2009)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I never thought group therapy would work for me, especially something based on DBT. I don't have BPD (borderline personality disorder, or emotional intensity disorder as the literature we used prefers the term) but I found these skills to be incredibly helpful and absolutely essential to my continued functioning.

Aug 1, 2012 (Started Oct 12, 2011)

None (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
    None (for borderline personality disorder)
    None (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (for Overall) (emotional tension, feeling of hopeless and irremediable social/emotional isolation)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Oct 12, 2011)

Major (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Moderate (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Nov 15, 2011)

Can't tell (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Can't tell (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 240 min Monthly

Jan 17, 2017 (Started Oct 31, 2012)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Major (for outburst of anger)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: This was my second time in a DBT Skills group. This group was run exactly how the treatment is supposed to be run: with diary cards, coaching, homework, and a certified DBT counselor (unlike my last group). I was in this group for 2 and a half years, and I can't believe how much I have changed and all that I have gotten out of the group. I feel the most important aspect is to stay persistent in attending the groups and attempting to do the homework and skills, even when it felt impossible or if it had to be done 5 minutes before the start of group. I didn't realize was in it, but my bad habits such as my anger, self-injury, binge drinking and self-criticism have decreased significantly. I don't feel as destructive and am not able to not react as if everything was a catastrophe. I just feel more in control of my life. It was very important to be surrounded by other women/(occasional men) in the group who were struggling with the same issues, and with similar family backgrounds which we could all relate. I felt less alone/crazy being there. I am still continuing with my weekly therapist with my DBT therapist, but I am doing a lot better and do not experience as much suffering as I used to. I am not cured of Borderline Personality Disorder or depression, but I feel more able to cope. I feel more confident in having relationships now and being able to deal with interpersonal problems and asking for things. I am still struggling with existential depression, and mood swings but a lot less than what I remember. I still am working on the skills with my therapist and incorporating in my life. Also, the new edition of DBT is a lot better, so I got to go through the old modules and the new one. I would recommend to anyone who has tried or is looking to try DBT to find an"official" group that is more than a couple months long, and it with a therapist who is specialized in DBT and follows the treatment by the books. You need a lot of time to establish the skills or they aren't going to stick. Overall, being in the group has made a major impact on my quality of life. I will miss the support!

Jan 16, 2013 (Started Oct 31, 2012)

Moderate (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Solidified and created an accountability for DBT skills. I like the group therapy atmosphere. I had a hard time keeping up with the diary cards, but I think this treatment helped me the most realize that I need to meditation everyday

Sep 29, 2008 (Started Sep 22, 2008)

Slight (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    None (for Increase effect of another treatment)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: This seems to be much more for people who need to work on small steps to big problems. I found this to be not nearly as helpful as my individual therapy sessions.

Sep 22, 2008 (Started Sep 22, 2008)

Can't tell (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    Can't tell (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Slight (for Increase effect of another treatment)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: Weekly

Jun 22, 2009 (Started Mar 23, 2009)

Major (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: Everybody should study DBT! Some great life skills that all would benefit from. I personally attended classes for BP2 and BPD. It has taught me a lot about acceptance and personal responsibility; not to mention how to regulate my emotions and tolerate distress.

Jul 8, 2009 (Started Mar 25, 2009)

None (for Support mental / emotional health)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: DBT is a WASTE OF TIME and MONEY.

Nov 6, 2009 (Started Sep 05, 2007)

Major (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 45 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: My husband works from home one day each week so he has the flexibility to take me to my appointment and bring me home.

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Apr 23, 2009)

Major (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Advice & Tips: DBT helped me learn skills to help me regulate my emotions. As a consequence I have stopped all self-harming behaviors. This is a huge accomplishment for me because I had been injuring myself for a long time. The most important thing was making the commitment to show up every week for the group therapy sessions and making the weekly appointments with your individual therapist. You have to make a conscious commitment to learn the skills and actually apply them in your life. It works if you work it!

Nov 7, 2009 (Started Apr 23, 2009)

Major (for borderline personality disorder)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)
Dosage: 2.5 hr Weekly
Advice & Tips: This treatment was prescribed by my doctor to help treat borderline personality disorder so that I might stop my self-injurious behavior that often accompanies this disorder. This group requires a year-long commitment and meets weekly for two and a half hours. During the week we are responsible for keeping up a diary card which is gone over in individual therapy meetings. So far my incidents of self-injury are way down as well as my suicidal urges. It has been an excellent treatment.

Nov 2, 2011 (Started Jul 14, 2010)

Slight (for flashbacks)
    Slight (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
    Major (for suicidal thoughts or urges)
    Slight (for cutting (self injury))
    Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    None (for Overall)

Showing 10 of 14 patient evaluations for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy