28 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation

147 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Oct 30, 2017 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My DBS operation was in 2010 at the University of Cincinnati Hospital, Dr. Mandybur with the Mayfield Clinic. DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc. If you have had PD for 7 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!! Update: I now go to 7 hours of PD specific exercise classes including 3 hours per week at Rock Steady Boxing for conditioning, weight training and boxing. Exercise is the new medicine for Parkinson's. If you are not involved, get moving. The more we sit around the worse our symptoms will be.

Mar 31, 2016 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Major (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slurred speech)
Dosage: Daily

Dec 15, 2015 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc.   If you have had PD for 4-5 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!!

May 20, 2017 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: I am sure most people that are contemplating DBS have seen "YouTube" videos on the subject. I watched part of one today and it was totally different than what I experienced as far as the actually surgery was concerned. However, the outcome was just as amazing. Like I have said before, it is not a cure, but it has improved my quality of life tremendously and also helped with the ole pocketbook due to a major decrease in meds.

Apr 15, 2017 (Started Dec 15, 2016)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (walking slower, balance problems)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My balance is a little worse than before; I walk a little slower than my best on days; my speech is actually a little better than before. See https://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/147582?page=1&post_id=2369462#post-2369462 for details. My out of pocket costs were around a thousand dollars. The total cost (most of which was paid by medicare) was about $150,000!

Jun 8, 2016 (Started Feb 11, 2014)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: The current voltage settings on my neuro-stimulator are 3.5volts on my right side and 2.4volts on left side. These settings can be adjusted as needed by using my neuro-stimulator However, these settings have not been changed in several months as there has not been a need to change these. DBS helps with tremor but not with balance.

May 27, 2016 (Started May 06, 2013)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Be sure to ask lots of questions and make sure your neuro surgeon has done a number of DBS surgeries. Ask for references

Nov 13, 2015 (Started Jul 01, 2015)

Can’t tell (for essential tremor)
Dosage: One time

Nov 8, 2015 (Started Aug 26, 2013)

Dosage: 1 other Daily

Sep 27, 2013 (Started Aug 26, 2013)

Dosage: 1 other Daily
Advice & Tips: Still balancing meds. I have about 3 hrs on time and 3 hrs off presently when meds wear off.

Feb 25, 2014 (Started Dec 01, 2013)

Dosage: 1 other Every Other Week
Advice & Tips: Ii ask my self the question "if you needed dbs as you know it , would you take it again" answer = yes

Oct 27, 2012 (Started May 10, 2011)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (uncomfortable, headaches)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: DO IT!!! Find an excellent Movement Disorder Specialist go through all the evaluation process and get the implants. It will change your life. Very little and mostly no shaking any more. I am completely off the medications (I insisted). I can now sleep again (that is the best benefit) although my body is still trying to catch up for all the nights that I only got 2~3 hours sleep.

May 5, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2015)

Moderate (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (jerky movements (dyskinesia))

Showing 10 of 28 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation