29 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation

154 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 15, 2010 (Started Apr 17, 2008)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mobility decreased)
Advice & Tips: DBS is the new technology that alleviates all shaking and dykinesia and allow almost full body functionality. My DBS surgery is performed improperly. The leads were too close together, placed at a bad angle 35 degrees from the "floor" and the sutures were on top of the hardware
Side effects: mobility decreased

Mar 10, 2010 (Started Apr 17, 2008)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mobility decreased)
Advice & Tips: Have DBS performed by a knowledgeable surgeon. It works!
Side effects: mobility decreased

Sep 14, 2008 (Started Apr 17, 2008)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (mobility decreased)
Advice & Tips: The best solution for PDers.
Side effects: mobility decreased

Nov 10, 2010 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Major (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (loss of balance)
Advice & Tips: increase mobility, no tremors at alll,filing beter
Side effects: loss of balance

Apr 14, 2010 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Major (for Improve mobility)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: every day i improve more, and i feel better and my motion is faster
Side effects: loss of balance

Feb 2, 2010 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Major (for tremor(s))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Personally it was me very easy to make the decision since i had the opportunity to know a patient that had been already operated and my only question to him was it is that he had to be operate again and he told me that If without doubting it one minute. also i had the opportunity to know a youth from another social stratum to which they operated very recently for the epilepsy to the day that we saw each other and it was one of people that more push myself to operate me. Regarding other benefits I consider that the benefit is to have recovered the initiative of finishing quick very fast anything that I start. What also produces certain frustration for what the last 10 years of my illness I cannot recover it in 6 months
Side effects: loss of balance

Oct 27, 2012 (Started May 10, 2011)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (uncomfortable, headaches)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: DO IT!!! Find an excellent Movement Disorder Specialist go through all the evaluation process and get the implants. It will change your life. Very little and mostly no shaking any more. I am completely off the medications (I insisted). I can now sleep again (that is the best benefit) although my body is still trying to catch up for all the nights that I only got 2~3 hours sleep.

Oct 30, 2017 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My DBS operation was in 2010 at the University of Cincinnati Hospital, Dr. Mandybur with the Mayfield Clinic. DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc. If you have had PD for 7 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!! Update: I now go to 7 hours of PD specific exercise classes including 3 hours per week at Rock Steady Boxing for conditioning, weight training and boxing. Exercise is the new medicine for Parkinson's. If you are not involved, get moving. The more we sit around the worse our symptoms will be.

Mar 31, 2016 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Major (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slurred speech)
Dosage: Daily

Dec 15, 2015 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc.   If you have had PD for 4-5 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!!

Feb 10, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

None (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Ditto all the above. On April 3rd I need to get my rechargeable Medtronic battery changed after 8 years. The replacement is the same battery that I have had, so the same setting can be used. The rechargeable battery has been great. If I had the regular non-rechargeable battery I probably would have had 4 battery replacements during the last 8 years since I am at a fairly high electric level. I thank God that I have had DBS, it has been life giving for me!! DBS won't be effective or approved but if you have had PD for 3-8 years you should look into it.

Nov 18, 2008 (Started )

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I recommend everyone who has PD to at least be evaluated by a neurologist and neurosurgeon to see if they are candidates.

Nov 17, 2008 (Started )

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I recently had DBS in Denver, it was the best decision concerning my health I have ever made. I can now walk, my tremors are essentially gone, I now have my balance, and do not fall any more.

Jan 9, 2009 (Started May 15, 2005)

Dosage:
Advice & Tips: Allowed me to reduce my sinemet dosage 80%, eliminated agonist and amantadine, since have restarted to reduce sinemet even further. My balance and speech has declined but cannot say whether due to DBS or progession of disease as it's been 24 years since diagnosis.

Oct 31, 2008 (Started Oct 31, 2008)

Moderate (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Mild (visual disturbances (ie seeing stars and light flashes), speech problems)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: This is still experimental. Patients must be able to recall a time free from depression, even decades ago. The surgery was very painful, and took longer to recover than I expected. Once I did, the results were apparent. Not so much for the depressed thinking, but completely eliminated the slowed thinking, lack of verbal fluency, eyesight much improved (details, colors), hearing improved-able to follow conversations, fine motor skills definitely improved. I would choose ECT over this surgery for depression if insurance would pay indefinitely. This is more an option for people who need continued ECT once a month. It doesn't replace drugs, but seems to make them more effective. The drugs seems to help more with the hopelessness, sad thinking. The implant more with the slowed down stuff.
Side effects: tingling near implant, mild pulling sensation in my neck from the wire threaded under the skin, visual disturbances (ie seeing stars and light flashes), speech problems

Apr 13, 2018 (Started Dec 15, 2016)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slower gait, balance problems)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My dynamic balance is probably better than before (I can stand on one foot on a wobble board or bosu ball fairly well - my ankle wobbles around but I don't fall) my static balance is still worse - i have trouble standing on one foot on the floor and holding still)

Apr 15, 2017 (Started Dec 15, 2016)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slower gait, balance problems)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My balance is a little worse than before; I walk a little slower than my best on days; my speech is actually a little better than before. See https://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/147582?page=1&post_id=2369462#post-2369462 for details. My out of pocket costs were around a thousand dollars. The total cost (most of which was paid by medicare) was about $150,000!

Feb 18, 2009 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Side effects: depressed mood

Jan 11, 2009 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: ask lots of questions and do lots of research before the procedure and know your doctors,make sure they know you well
Side effects: depressed mood

Nov 9, 2008 (Started Apr 10, 2008)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Mild (depressed mood)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Huge mobility improvements and overall increased self sufficiency
Side effects: depressed mood

Feb 1, 2006 (Started Feb 01, 2006)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (memory loss)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: If you are considering DBS as and option, you can always leave me a message with any questions you may have. It is a tough decision to make. A very individual and personal decision. I am very fortunate to have been a good candidate for the surgery and it has proved to be a good decision on my part. But it does come with some risks as well as its benefits. My PD is much more manageable now than it was a few years ago because of the DBS along with some medication changes.
Side effects: memory loss

Showing 10 of 29 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation