12 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation with a cost of Not specified

82 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Oct 30, 2017 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: My DBS operation was in 2010 at the University of Cincinnati Hospital, Dr. Mandybur with the Mayfield Clinic. DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc. If you have had PD for 7 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!! Update: I now go to 7 hours of PD specific exercise classes including 3 hours per week at Rock Steady Boxing for conditioning, weight training and boxing. Exercise is the new medicine for Parkinson's. If you are not involved, get moving. The more we sit around the worse our symptoms will be.

Mar 31, 2016 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Major (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
  • Side effects
    Mild (slurred speech)
Dosage: Daily

Dec 15, 2015 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: DBS is critical for me to live a more normal life!! When I have experienced my DBS being turned off, I can't hardly move, my face becomes a mask, I feel terrible, can't dress my self, etc.   If you have had PD for 4-5 years, I recommend that you definitely should check if you are a candidate for the procedure!!

Feb 10, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2010)

None (for on to off fluctuations worsening)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Ditto all the above. On April 3rd I need to get my rechargeable Medtronic battery changed after 8 years. The replacement is the same battery that I have had, so the same setting can be used. The rechargeable battery has been great. If I had the regular non-rechargeable battery I probably would have had 4 battery replacements during the last 8 years since I am at a fairly high electric level. I thank God that I have had DBS, it has been life giving for me!! DBS won't be effective or approved but if you have had PD for 3-8 years you should look into it.

May 20, 2017 (Started Jan 15, 2016)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: I am sure most people that are contemplating DBS have seen "YouTube" videos on the subject. I watched part of one today and it was totally different than what I experienced as far as the actually surgery was concerned. However, the outcome was just as amazing. Like I have said before, it is not a cure, but it has improved my quality of life tremendously and also helped with the ole pocketbook due to a major decrease in meds.

May 8, 2017 (Started Feb 21, 2017)

Major (for slow movement (bradykinesia))
Advice & Tips: Be patient

May 27, 2016 (Started May 06, 2013)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Be sure to ask lots of questions and make sure your neuro surgeon has done a number of DBS surgeries. Ask for references

Oct 27, 2012 (Started May 10, 2011)

Major (for Parkinson's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (uncomfortable, headaches)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: DO IT!!! Find an excellent Movement Disorder Specialist go through all the evaluation process and get the implants. It will change your life. Very little and mostly no shaking any more. I am completely off the medications (I insisted). I can now sleep again (that is the best benefit) although my body is still trying to catch up for all the nights that I only got 2~3 hours sleep.

Mar 1, 2012 (Started Mar 01, 2012)

Can't tell (for Parkinson's disease)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: I just had the surgery a little over a month. The Honeymoon only lasted a week for me. I get the DBS turned on and first programming on April 19, 2012. I can't wait.

Nov 12, 2009 (Started Sep 04, 2008)

Slight (for Parkinson's disease)
    Slight (for stiffness/spasticity)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain)
Dosage: Daily
Side effects: weight gain

Oct 1, 2009 (Started Oct 01, 2009)

Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: You have to believe that the treatment will work. In my case my quality of life after the treatment became much better. Before i could not do anything after 5:00 PM. Now I feel almost normal.

Jan 9, 2009 (Started May 15, 2005)

Dosage:
Advice & Tips: Allowed me to reduce my sinemet dosage 80%, eliminated agonist and amantadine, since have restarted to reduce sinemet even further. My balance and speech has declined but cannot say whether due to DBS or progession of disease as it's been 24 years since diagnosis.

Nov 18, 2008 (Started )

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I recommend everyone who has PD to at least be evaluated by a neurologist and neurosurgeon to see if they are candidates.

Nov 17, 2008 (Started )

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I recently had DBS in Denver, it was the best decision concerning my health I have ever made. I can now walk, my tremors are essentially gone, I now have my balance, and do not fall any more.

Showing 10 of 12 patient evaluations for Deep Brain Stimulation