68 patient evaluations for Carbamazepine

503 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 14, 2005 (Started Jul 29, 1999)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (feels like something on right side of throat)

Apr 30, 2003 (Started Feb 02, 2002)

Moderate (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness, mood swings, increased appetite)
Advice & Tips: Take medication as prescribed. If you need to stop medication make sure you wean yourself off of the drug according to your doctor due to causing very severe side effects including seizures.
Side effects: increased appetite, mood swings, dizziness

Jun 15, 2002 (Started Nov 15, 2001)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (nausea, loss of motor control, headaches, loss of coordination)

May 10, 2001 (Started Jan 01, 1982)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: It worked very well for a long time. At my request, under my doctor's care, I stopped taking it to see if I could do without medicine for my epilepsy. I could not. He put me back on the tegretol, but I became toxic on it at any dose.

Oct 4, 1996 (Started Apr 16, 1992)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (difficulty thinking)
Advice & Tips: 1) If you request a surgical evaluation and the doctor (in my case, Robert Gumnit, M.D.) refuses to let you out of the hospital forcing you to take more medication, get off of it if you can still think. If you cannot think another person will have to get you off of it and file a lawsuit in less than two years for you to have a chance to have a regular life again. 2) Over twenty percent of mothers I have talked with believe that "doctors know everything" and will not help their children survive. (And about 7000 deaths each year in the 1990s were due to a doctor killing a patient.) Make sure the person watching over you when you try a new medication will take action and not leave you a "zombie" (a nurse who told me I was within two days of death and my Dilantin count was up to 36.6 while getting off of Tegretol following the doctor's orders. 3) When I used over 500 mg/day of Tegretol, I could not think at all. When I got under 200 mg/day, then I regained control of my life. It was three years after my right hip shattered that I learned the Tegretol did that.
Side effects: difficulty thinking

Dec 29, 1989 (Started Dec 01, 1989)

Can’t tell (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (pain)
Advice & Tips: severe allergic reaction. blisters under the skin on every part of my body. needed i.v. steroids to recover

Nov 30, 1989 (Started Oct 19, 1964)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects

Jul 15, 1988 (Started Jun 30, 1988)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (bleeding in the joints, BLEEDING AT JOINTS)
Advice & Tips: DURING THE YEARS BEFORE THE MS DIAGNOSIS WHEN MY MEDICAL TEAM WAS STILL CONSIDERING EPILE[SY AS A POSSIBLE DIAGNOSIS FOR THE SIEZURE LIKE CONTROTIONS; tEGRETAL PROVIDED ME A FEELING FOR THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME, THAT I HAD MORE 'CONTOL' OVER THE SEIZURES AND JUST GENERALLY 'FELT' BETTER!!

Showing 8 of 68 patient evaluations for Carbamazepine