132 patient evaluations for Modafinil

807 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Mar 19, 2009 (Started Mar 28, 2006)

Slight (for excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
  • Side effects

Mar 15, 2009 (Started Apr 01, 2004)

Major (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Severe (hallucinations, dry eyes, dry mouth, insomnia)
Advice & Tips: Be very careful if you take Provigil/Modafinil. I took it from 2004-2009 with no terrible side effects, just dry eyes and dry mouth, and some days I didn't sleep at all. But once my neurologist upped my dosage to double the amount, I began having voices in my head. If you read about the side effects of this medicine, it states that hallucinations may occur. Well, they did. I went bat-shit crazy. My husband had me committed to an area loony bin for 5 days so he could go to work, and not have to watch me every minute. They readjusted my meds, put me on some other stuff to calm me down, and released me back into society. I still had the voices in my head, telling me wacky things. I had follow-up appointments with a shrink and a counselor. I was really skinny until the shrink put me on antidepressants, then I ballooned up, way up. He wanted to keep me on those drugs forever, but I got off them after a few months. I didn't like being on meds that kept me from being able to have a beer or a glass of wine. And, I still had the voices in my head. Those meds did nothing for that. The psychiatrist told me I would have the voices with me forever. Well, I got lucky. My brother knew the hell I was going through, and he was planning a weekend at a lake and decided to invite me and my husband along for some good ol' R&R. Sitting on the dock of the bay, er, lake, watching the water lick the stones, I noticed it was quiet. Wait, what? Finally?! Yes! That's what I needed! Peace! Nature! Not drugs! After 18 gruelling months of having voices yell at me, bitch at me, order me around, tell me to do utterly stupid things (I turned off the water heater before my husband got home from work, so when he tried to take a shower, all he had was cold water. Tell me to get in my truck and drive to the DMV and take off my license plates and turn them in...I did not do that! I only got part way there and couldn't get the plate off. Totally idiotic stuff! There's a lot more, worse stuff, some I don't even remember, my husband tells me things that I did, and I am just dumbfounded.) The moral of the story is be very careful! and don't double the dose!!

Mar 8, 2009 (Started Sep 06, 2008)

Slight (for fatigue)
  • Side effects

Mar 5, 2009 (Started Mar 18, 2008)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, dry mouth, jittery feeling, overactivity, sleep problems, stiffness in neck, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Advice & Tips: It is a hard drug to get approved by insurance companies especially if you are also on medicines to help you sleep or calm your nerves.
Side effects: dry mouth, tachycardia (fast heart rate), sleep problems, overactivity, stiffness in neck, anxious mood, jittery feeling

Feb 19, 2009 (Started Apr 23, 2006)

• Side effects

Jan 9, 2009 (Started Feb 26, 2008)

Major (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth, jittery feeling, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Side effects: tachycardia (fast heart rate), jittery feeling, dry mouth

Oct 10, 2008 (Started Feb 26, 2008)

Major (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth, tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Side effects: tachycardia (fast heart rate), jittery feeling, dry mouth

Jan 7, 2009 (Started Jul 10, 2002)

• Side effects

Oct 21, 2008 (Started Jul 10, 2002)

• Side effects

Dec 26, 2008 (Started Nov 22, 2008)

None (for fatigue)
    Slight (for excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
    None (for brain fog)
  • Side effects
    Mild (anxious mood, nausea, headaches, migraine headaches)
Side effects: migraine headaches, nausea, headaches, anxious mood

Nov 24, 2008 (Started Nov 22, 2008)

Can't tell (for fatigue)
    Moderate (for excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence))
    Slight (for brain fog)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, nausea, headaches)
Advice & Tips: I have not been taking it long enough to know for sure how much help it is going to be with fatigue but it has certainly seemed to help some so far, but could just be I have had a couple of 'good' days so need more time to be sure.
Side effects: migraine headaches, nausea, headaches, anxious mood

Nov 15, 2008 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, dry mouth, jittery feeling)
Advice & Tips: DUE TO BEING INJURED WITH A HERNIATED DISC AND NOT HAVING TO GO TO WORK,I AM ABLE TO CONSERVE MORE ENERGY. I AM ABLE TO LET MY BODY RUN IT'S NATURAL COURSE. I DEAL WITH FATIGUE BY RESTING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHEN I AM ABLE TO RETURN TO WORK,OR MAYBE WHEN EVERYTHING CALMS DOWN TO NORMAL?? I WILL DEFINITELY HAVE TO ,AND I MEAN DEFINITELY RE-START THIS MEDICATION.WITHOUT PROVIGIL, I CAN'T MAKE IT 5 HOURS WITHOUT WANTING TO GO TO SLEEP.I HAVE BEEN THROUGH QUITE AN ORDEAL,ANXIETY LEVELS HIGHEST EVER IN MY LIFE. PROVIGIL CAUSES ME TO HAVE ANXIETY IN MY LIFE. AND I CAN'T HANDLE ANYMORE THAN I ALREADY HAVE, SO I AM TAKING THIS STEP TO HELP.
Side effects: jittery feeling, anxious mood, dry mouth

Oct 9, 2008 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Moderate (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, dry mouth, jittery feeling)
Side effects: jittery feeling, anxious mood, dry mouth

Jul 31, 2008 (Started Apr 01, 2005)

Slight (for fatigue)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood, dry mouth, jittery feeling)
Advice & Tips: CAUSES ANXIETY,IF I NEED TO I WILL RESTART AGAIN. I WANT TO TAKE A BREAK, AND SEE HOW I FEEL.
Side effects: jittery feeling, anxious mood, dry mouth

Oct 24, 2008 (Started Oct 07, 2008)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: I take this as needed, usually not more than 5 times a week. I feel great and I am on the lowest dose. I do not feel sped up at all, but it really helps with the fatigue.

Showing 10 of 132 patient evaluations for Modafinil