19 patient evaluations for Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)

68 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jan 19, 2011 (Started Dec 01, 2010)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Thus far it has been only 20 days that i have been on VNS the compliance factor is great and there is a slight cough when i use the magnet otherwise the impact of VNS is dramatic -- i have had only 1 seizure since the operation and it was controlled greatly with the magnet.

Nov 10, 2009 (Started Jul 17, 1997)

Major (for seizures (grand mal or tonic-clonic))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: this treatment stopped almost all my heavyl seizures!!!

Jan 14, 2010 (Started Jan 28, 2006)

Major (for epilepsy)
    Major (for seizures (grand mal or tonic-clonic))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I never thought that this would change my life, as much as it has, but I would, and have recommended this to many others.

May 21, 2010 (Started Jul 21, 2009)

Moderate (for seizures (grand mal or tonic-clonic))
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: Has a real pinch when you have to turn it on. I can feel it turn on sometimes and that feeling is a tight feeling in my neck. To get rid of that feeling I lift up my head and stretch it out. I've had 4 seizures with it and it has been adjusted. The electric pulse has been increased twice and the latest adjustment has been how often it turns on.

Nov 12, 2008 (Started Jun 28, 2006)

Moderate (for Shock the vegul nerve)
  • Side effects
    Mild (difficulty sleeping on left side)
Advice & Tips: They give you a magnet to you you to where one yourrist or you can clip it to your belt.I clip it to my belt.Its probly better to where it on my rist but I dont because beaple ask me what time it is!!.If I where it on my belt when I need it I always end up thowong it!!!
Side effects: difficulty sleeping on left side

Nov 22, 1996 (Started Nov 22, 1996)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (speech problems)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Along with my AED's, now I have better control with my VNS and my medication. Using the VNS allows me to take control of my life, rather than allow epilepsy to control me.
Side effects: speech problems, trouble turning neck due to pain

Oct 20, 2011 (Started May 22, 2001)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (swallowing difficulty (dysphagia))
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Dr. turned it off for a year and that helped. Now I am having the symptoms again.
Side effects: swallowing difficulty (dysphagia)

Sep 15, 2000 (Started May 22, 2001)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Initially asthma symptoms increased, used O2. I lost my ability to sing, Seizures increased, changed Epileptologist Used all ranges on machine. Changed battery. I wanted it out but seizures started to get better Now w/ low levels my seizures are better under control. Asthma is better Throat is not swollen anymore
Side effects: swallowing difficulty (dysphagia)

Jan 3, 2009 (Started Jan 03, 2009)

None (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (voice changes, chest pain)
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: I want this device removed but so far none of my doctors will do so.

Jun 15, 2010 (Started May 29, 2009)

None (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (numbness in left side of face, suicidal, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, depression with anxiety, numbness in hands and arms in am, cramps in upper back)
Advice & Tips: my experience included faulty equipment from Cyberonics (VNS manufacturer) that shocked me twice SEVERELY and would not stop....DO NOT RECIEVE THIS DEVICE. I did however receive authorization for my Michigan Medical Marijuana Permit from a very frightened Neurologist who didn't know what he was signing immediately after I had been shocked =]

Aug 10, 2012 (Started Jan 11, 2012)

Major (for seizures (complex partial))
    Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (shortness of breath (dyspnea))
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: It takes some getting use to. See a neurophyscologist to help you to accept and adjust. It is a physical and mental challange but once you have gotten over the first hurdle and can see the change it is making it does become easier. Unexpected benifit for me is that I feel more alert and less tired. It has been a positive treatment for me.

Showing 10 of 19 patient evaluations for Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)