14 patient evaluations for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy

128 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Feb 6, 2017 (Started Sep 15, 2013)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: This treatment requires a lot of work from the service user/patient but is effective.

Jan 17, 2017 (Started Oct 31, 2012)

Major (for outburst of anger)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: This was my second time in a DBT Skills group. This group was run exactly how the treatment is supposed to be run: with diary cards, coaching, homework, and a certified DBT counselor (unlike my last group). I was in this group for 2 and a half years, and I can't believe how much I have changed and all that I have gotten out of the group. I feel the most important aspect is to stay persistent in attending the groups and attempting to do the homework and skills, even when it felt impossible or if it had to be done 5 minutes before the start of group. I didn't realize was in it, but my bad habits such as my anger, self-injury, binge drinking and self-criticism have decreased significantly. I don't feel as destructive and am not able to not react as if everything was a catastrophe. I just feel more in control of my life. It was very important to be surrounded by other women/(occasional men) in the group who were struggling with the same issues, and with similar family backgrounds which we could all relate. I felt less alone/crazy being there. I am still continuing with my weekly therapist with my DBT therapist, but I am doing a lot better and do not experience as much suffering as I used to. I am not cured of Borderline Personality Disorder or depression, but I feel more able to cope. I feel more confident in having relationships now and being able to deal with interpersonal problems and asking for things. I am still struggling with existential depression, and mood swings but a lot less than what I remember. I still am working on the skills with my therapist and incorporating in my life. Also, the new edition of DBT is a lot better, so I got to go through the old modules and the new one. I would recommend to anyone who has tried or is looking to try DBT to find an"official" group that is more than a couple months long, and it with a therapist who is specialized in DBT and follows the treatment by the books. You need a lot of time to establish the skills or they aren't going to stick. Overall, being in the group has made a major impact on my quality of life. I will miss the support!

Jan 16, 2013 (Started Oct 31, 2012)

Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Solidified and created an accountability for DBT skills. I like the group therapy atmosphere. I had a hard time keeping up with the diary cards, but I think this treatment helped me the most realize that I need to meditation everyday

Jan 12, 2017 (Started Oct 15, 2016)

Dosage: 120 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: If you want to make your life worth living and are serious about changing your life, this is the place to do it. The staff are very caring individuals.

Aug 1, 2012 (Started Oct 12, 2011)

None (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
    None (for borderline personality disorder)
    None (for generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (emotional tension, feeling of hopeless and irremediable social/emotional isolation)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Oct 12, 2011)

Major (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for generalized anxiety disorder)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Jun 1, 2012 (Started May 10, 2011)

Slight (for major depressive disorder)
    Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
Dosage: 100 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I believe I need the structure of a DBT group, in addition to ind. therapy. I was not receiving the structure I needed to actually change my behavior I think.

May 1, 2012 (Started Jan 15, 2012)

None (for borderline personality disorder)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: This therapist simply didn't provide the structure necessary for DBT. I also later found her to be unprofessional. I am still very willing to try DBT again but with a different therapist.

Jan 1, 2012 (Started Nov 15, 2011)

Can’t tell (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Can’t tell (for borderline personality disorder)
Dosage: 240 min Monthly

Nov 2, 2011 (Started Jul 14, 2010)

Slight (for flashbacks)
    Slight (for post-traumatic stress disorder)
    Major (for suicidal thoughts or urges)
    Slight (for cutting (self injury))
    Slight (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Slight (for borderline personality disorder)
    Slight (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Apr 23, 2009)

• Side effects
Advice & Tips: DBT helped me learn skills to help me regulate my emotions. As a consequence I have stopped all self-harming behaviors. This is a huge accomplishment for me because I had been injuring myself for a long time. The most important thing was making the commitment to show up every week for the group therapy sessions and making the weekly appointments with your individual therapist. You have to make a conscious commitment to learn the skills and actually apply them in your life. It works if you work it!

Nov 7, 2009 (Started Apr 23, 2009)

Dosage: 2.5 hr Weekly
Advice & Tips: This treatment was prescribed by my doctor to help treat borderline personality disorder so that I might stop my self-injurious behavior that often accompanies this disorder. This group requires a year-long commitment and meets weekly for two and a half hours. During the week we are responsible for keeping up a diary card which is gone over in individual therapy meetings. So far my incidents of self-injury are way down as well as my suicidal urges. It has been an excellent treatment.

Apr 13, 2010 (Started Sep 08, 2009)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
    Moderate (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Moderate (for anxious mood)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I never thought group therapy would work for me, especially something based on DBT. I don't have BPD (borderline personality disorder, or emotional intensity disorder as the literature we used prefers the term) but I found these skills to be incredibly helpful and absolutely essential to my continued functioning.

Showing 10 of 14 patient evaluations for Dialectical Behavioral Therapy