40 patient evaluations for Mirtazapine

403 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 18, 2011 (Started Jun 15, 2000)

Major (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Should be taken at bedtime, helps you sleep.

Jul 1, 2011 (Started Jan 31, 2011)

None (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Really didn't seem to do much. I was hoping it would help me sleep plus help with my depression.

Feb 16, 2011 (Started Dec 15, 1999)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (morning sleepiness if taken too late in the evening, urinary retention)
Advice & Tips: This drug had the effect of making it very difficult to wake up in the morning to get to work. When I was depressed, it was very effective and my body adjusted to the sedation effects. As my depression lifted, I experienced more and more difficulty in waking up. Also, it tended to have the effect of urinary retention. A plus when incontinence becomes an issue.
Side effects: urinary retention, morning sleepiness if taken too late in the evening

Dec 24, 2010 (Started Jul 01, 2005)

Moderate (for major depressive disorder)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: After being diagnosed with depression and anxiety my doctor put me on this and I can't praise it enough. I also suffered from bad insomnia and was severely underweight and this tablet was a godsend for those - it made me sleepy and sedated and increased my appetite so I was able to put on weight. I had no sexual side effects, it never made me feel sick and it worked extremely well for my conditions - I stopped having random panic attacks while on it and it kept my depression away. Sadly after 5 years on them they pooped out on me and I developed extreme mood highs and lows so I had to change meds. Withdrawal was manageable but since I stopped I'm averaging about 3 hours of sleep a night due to difficulty sleeping, and it isn't just difficulty getting to sleep but staying asleep too. As I said before I have nothing but good things to say about Mirtazapine, however I was lucky as all the side effects that affected me were positive. I can see why other people can have problems with the constant drowsiness and increased appetite/weight gain, but for an anxious under-eating insomniac for me it was ideal.

Dec 1, 2010 (Started Oct 01, 2009)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects

Nov 29, 2010 (Started Nov 15, 2010)

Major (for decreased appetite)
    Moderate (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dizziness)
Dosage: 3.75 mg Daily
Side effects: dizziness

Sep 12, 2010 (Started Aug 12, 2010)

Major (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Mild (grogginess in morning)
Advice & Tips: I haven't felt this good in years. For the first two weeks I cut the dose in half because of grogginess. Since then I have had a great rebound in energy, enthusiasm, and social activity. I sleep very deeply, with vivid dreams that are mostly positive. I can't say it will work for everyone, because I have been on and off many antidepressants since 1990 that had side effects like grogginess, emotional numbness, and erectile dysfunction.
Side effects: grogginess in morning

Jul 1, 2010 (Started Mar 30, 2010)

Moderate (for Depression with Insomnia)
  • Side effects

Jun 23, 2010 (Started May 23, 2009)

Major (for To reduce the risk of PML while taking Tysabri.)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (increased appetite)
Advice & Tips: I haven't had PML, but it made me have the appetite of a lumberjack. Increase in appetite is unbelieveable. Positive side effect has been much easier to get to sleep and better sleep at night.
Side effects: increased appetite

Jun 4, 2010 (Started Mar 27, 2010)

Slight (for Depression and insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (anxious mood)
Side effects: anxious mood

Showing 10 of 40 patient evaluations for Mirtazapine