116 patient evaluations for Topiramate

925 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 7, 2000 (Started May 28, 2000)

Slight (for BOTH EPILEPY AND PHYSCOSIS)
    Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (ACUTE PHYSCOSIS WICH HAD TO BE TREATED WITH PROMAZINE 50 MG ORAL OR IM, Psychotic symptoms (anxiety depression fear))
Advice & Tips: The impact this drug had on my social and my whole life were unpleasant, it was given me both to treat my epilepsy and physocis I was going through at the time. The only alternative was Carbamazipine which was ruled out due to severe liver damage. I was on a mental health unit at this time and was treated with it whilst in hospital

Mar 14, 2012 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Can’t tell (for Seizures from flashing lights (photosensitive epilepsy))
  • Side effects

Sep 1, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2009)

Slight (for Migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Memory Loss)
Advice & Tips: I urge all people who are taking, or are thinking of taking, this drug to stop immediately. I am a 28 year-old woman who was prescribed this drug for migraines before the lupus, MS, and hypothyroidism was diagnosed. The side effects of Topiramate are SO severe - I have lost significant portions of my memory, and even though I stopped the drug six months ago, the memories are not coming back. I not only cannot remember graduate coursework, but I have forgotten sentimental moments with my loved one, forgotten people who I used to know, and still have cognitive difficulties. PLEASE do not take this drug. It really didn't help with my migraines either, but I stayed on the drug because I was afraid of weight gain, and was just used to the status quo of taking it everyday (and none of my doctors ever told me to stop). I know the drug is also prescribed for epilepsy and to assist people to quit smoking, but I urge you to evaluate why you need it. If you are taking it for migraines or to quit smoking, don't take it... I think the chance of getting lung cancer is better than living as an amnesiac.

May 25, 2012 (Started Mar 12, 2012)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects

Mar 15, 2008 (Started Sep 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Memory problems, Numbness and tingling with pins and needles, Anorexia (appetite loss), Cognitive confusion)
Advice & Tips: I essentially lost 6 months of my life. I only have a few impressions, almost a memory of a horrible nightmare. According to my wife, I don't want to remember it.

May 1, 2012 (Started Jul 14, 2010)

Slight (for Migraine headaches)
    None (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Mean feelings)

Aug 19, 2012 (Started Feb 13, 2003)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Reduced Sweating, Alternating constipation and diarrhea, Tingling sensation in extremities, Constipation, Weight loss, Difficulty speaking (dysarthria), Decreased sweating (hypohidrosis))

Apr 27, 2012 (Started Feb 13, 2003)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Reduced Sweating, Alternating constipation and diarrhea, Tingling sensation in extremities, Constipation, Weight loss, Difficulty speaking (dysarthria), Decreased sweating (hypohidrosis))

Apr 5, 2011 (Started May 31, 2009)

None (for Migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Brain cloud)

Aug 7, 2012 (Started Feb 19, 2010)

Major (for Headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Blurry vision, Pain behind eye, Recurring Urinary Tract Infection UTI, Kidney Pain)

Jul 10, 2012 (Started Jan 15, 2012)

None (for Difficulty sleeping through night)

Showing 10 of 116 patient evaluations for Topiramate