116 patient evaluations for Topiramate

947 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Nov 21, 2011 (Started Aug 17, 2010)

Moderate (for headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (numbness and tingling with pins and needles)

Jun 21, 2011 (Started Aug 17, 2010)

Moderate (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
Advice & Tips: weight loss

Oct 26, 2011 (Started Aug 09, 2011)

Can’t tell (for numbness and tingling with pins and needles)
  • Side effects

Oct 5, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Can’t tell (for Pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (word fishing, brain fog, memory problems)
Advice & Tips: on vacation forgot topirmate office said it was ok. Off it a week, then forgot to go back on. Felt wonderful for 6 weeks, then severe TN attack. MS Neurologist sid ok to stay off had started neurontin.
Side effects: word fishing, memory problems, brain fog, brain fog

Oct 4, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Moderate (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
    Slight (for Pain)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (word fishing, brain fog, memory problems)
Side effects: word fishing, memory problems, brain fog, brain fog

May 18, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Slight (for nerve pain (neuralgia))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (word fishing, brain fog, memory problems)
Advice & Tips: possible memory problems time and dose related
Side effects: word fishing, memory problems, brain fog, brain fog

Mar 10, 2009 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Moderate (for Pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (word fishing, brain fog, memory problems)
Advice & Tips: Worth the trial.
Side effects: word fishing, memory problems, brain fog, brain fog

Mar 1, 2009 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Slight (for Pain)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (memory problems)
Advice & Tips: This did help my pain which I realizied more after stopping because I felt that it was causing me to be forgetful It was more helpful than hurtful.
Side effects: word fishing, memory problems, brain fog, brain fog

Sep 15, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2010)

Moderate (for trigeminal neuralgia)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I have suffered hair loss from taking this medication. It is very helpful for sleep for me.

Sep 1, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2009)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (memory loss)
Advice & Tips: I urge all people who are taking, or are thinking of taking, this drug to stop immediately. I am a 28 year-old woman who was prescribed this drug for migraines before the lupus, MS, and hypothyroidism was diagnosed. The side effects of Topiramate are SO severe - I have lost significant portions of my memory, and even though I stopped the drug six months ago, the memories are not coming back. I not only cannot remember graduate coursework, but I have forgotten sentimental moments with my loved one, forgotten people who I used to know, and still have cognitive difficulties. PLEASE do not take this drug. It really didn't help with my migraines either, but I stayed on the drug because I was afraid of weight gain, and was just used to the status quo of taking it everyday (and none of my doctors ever told me to stop). I know the drug is also prescribed for epilepsy and to assist people to quit smoking, but I urge you to evaluate why you need it. If you are taking it for migraines or to quit smoking, don't take it... I think the chance of getting lung cancer is better than living as an amnesiac.

Jul 19, 2011 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (spaced out, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I notice that my hair is falling out. I am very spacey. It does help control my seizures so I do take this, with the side effects.
Side effects: hair loss, spaced out

Jun 16, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, night cramps in legs and feet, numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: I stopped Topamax (generic) in January when my neuro put me on generic keppra. There has not been any improvement with that drug and I do not like the effects of it. Neuro has started me on Topamax again. 06/14/11 I began taking 1/2 caplet of topamax at bedtime along with my regular dose of 4 dilantin and 2 keppra. Gradually I will build the dose up to 2 tablets of topamax daily with 4 dilantin (as before) and stop the keppra. Wish me luck! My meds are all generic prices.
Side effects: suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, numbness in hands, night cramps in legs and feet

Jan 10, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (suicidal thoughts or urges, feeling of heart pounding, trouble spelling, night cramps in legs and feet, numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: Manage: I took Topamax 2x daily. 1 in the morning with food and 1 in the evening with supper. 2. Benefits: It made lose weight. 3. Impact: Learning to adjust to it's side effects.

Jun 24, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: 1.Manage: Inform and prepare yourself for this drug. If you are experienced with taking medications you may manage well with it. If you are a weak person, you may want to try something else. 2. Benefits: Weight loss and it keeps it off. Please do not use this drug for weight loss!! It might sharpen your cognitive or judgment skills but it's only temporary. Then they may become clouded. 3. Impact: Food flavor may suddenly change. There will be times when you are sleeping that you will awake to your heart pounding in your chest...feeling of impending doom, thoughts of being sicker than you really are and ideas of suicide are side effects you may experience with this drug. Brand name or generic it is a high priced drug.

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Can’t tell (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Topamax helped me drop weight but that's not why I agreed to take it. I wanted to be seizure free! And the spells stopped for 6 months but then they started up again. One must be very careful when using this drug because it has many side effects. I have learned to recognize them and distinguish the difference between me and the drug but the most bothersome and hardest to cope with is the sudden rush of my heart pounding on my chest. It scares me to death. I think it's time for me to get off this drug. Please be careful if you use this drug. It's also very expensive in generic brand too.

Jun 6, 2011 (Started Feb 10, 2007)

Moderate (for migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (metallic taste in mouth, mental confusion, dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: dry mouth, taste altering, weight changes, confusion
Side effects: dry mouth, mental confusion, metallic taste in mouth

Apr 5, 2011 (Started May 31, 2009)

None (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (brain cloud)

Mar 18, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2005)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (weight loss, fatigue)
Advice & Tips: when i itially took it, i lost weight, but after a year these effects stopped. It also stopped nasty flashbacks. I take it as a mood stablizer. The 150mg dose made me a little drowsy so i am trying 100mg instead.
Side effects: weight loss, fatigue

Jan 1, 2008 (Started Jan 01, 2005)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (fatigue)
Advice & Tips: taken on its own or with just anti depressants helps you loose weight!!!!!
Side effects: weight loss, fatigue