114 patient evaluations for Topiramate

909 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Sheri4MS
24231 thumb
Sheri4MS
Sex: F
Data Quality: 0 stars
Sensation: Moderate
Overall: Mild
Cognition: mild
Vision: moderate
Speech: none
Swallowing: none
Upper limb: mild
Walking: none
MS

See Sheri4MS's full Topiramate history

Sep 15, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2010)

Moderate (for Trigeminal neuralgia)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I have suffered hair loss from taking this medication. It is very helpful for sleep for me.

MargotGlass
44989 thumb
MargotGlass
  • Age: 33
Condition: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 2 additional condition(s)
I am: vb
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

See MargotGlass's full Topiramate history

Sep 1, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2009)

Slight (for Migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Memory Loss)
Advice & Tips: I urge all people who are taking, or are thinking of taking, this drug to stop immediately. I am a 28 year-old woman who was prescribed this drug for migraines before the lupus, MS, and hypothyroidism was diagnosed. The side effects of Topiramate are SO severe - I have lost significant portions of my memory, and even though I stopped the drug six months ago, the memories are not coming back. I not only cannot remember graduate coursework, but I have forgotten sentimental moments with my loved one, forgotten people who I used to know, and still have cognitive difficulties. PLEASE do not take this drug. It really didn't help with my migraines either, but I stayed on the drug because I was afraid of weight gain, and was just used to the status quo of taking it everyday (and none of my doctors ever told me to stop). I know the drug is also prescribed for epilepsy and to assist people to quit smoking, but I urge you to evaluate why you need it. If you are taking it for migraines or to quit smoking, don't take it... I think the chance of getting lung cancer is better than living as an amnesiac.

coco72
  • Mental: Unreported
  • Physical: Unreported
? seizures

See coco72's full Topiramate history

Jul 19, 2011 (Started Jun 19, 2009)

Moderate (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Spaced out, Hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I notice that my hair is falling out. I am very spacey. It does help control my seizures so I do take this, with the side effects.
Side effects: Hair loss, Spaced out

BrainStorm
  • Mental: Moderate
4 seizures
207 weeks ago

See BrainStorm's full Topiramate history

Jun 16, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Suicidal thoughts or urges, Feeling of heart pounding, Trouble spelling, Suicidal thoughts (free floating), Night cramps in legs and feet, Numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: I stopped Topamax (generic) in January when my neuro put me on generic keppra. There has not been any improvement with that drug and I do not like the effects of it. Neuro has started me on Topamax again. 06/14/11 I began taking 1/2 caplet of topamax at bedtime along with my regular dose of 4 dilantin and 2 keppra. Gradually I will build the dose up to 2 tablets of topamax daily with 4 dilantin (as before) and stop the keppra. Wish me luck! My meds are all generic prices.
Side effects: Suicidal thoughts or urges, Feeling of heart pounding, Suicidal thoughts (free floating), Trouble spelling, Numbness in hands, Night cramps in legs and feet

Jan 10, 2011 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Moderate (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Suicidal thoughts or urges, Feeling of heart pounding, Trouble spelling, Suicidal thoughts (free floating), Night cramps in legs and feet, Numbness in hands)
Advice & Tips: Manage: I took Topamax 2x daily. 1 in the morning with food and 1 in the evening with supper. 2. Benefits: It made lose weight. 3. Impact: Learning to adjust to it's side effects.

Jun 24, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Can’t tell (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: 1.Manage: Inform and prepare yourself for this drug. If you are experienced with taking medications you may manage well with it. If you are a weak person, you may want to try something else. 2. Benefits: Weight loss and it keeps it off. Please do not use this drug for weight loss!! It might sharpen your cognitive or judgment skills but it's only temporary. Then they may become clouded. 3. Impact: Food flavor may suddenly change. There will be times when you are sleeping that you will awake to your heart pounding in your chest...feeling of impending doom, thoughts of being sicker than you really are and ideas of suicide are side effects you may experience with this drug. Brand name or generic it is a high priced drug.

Jun 22, 2010 (Started Jun 14, 2011)

Can’t tell (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Topamax helped me drop weight but that's not why I agreed to take it. I wanted to be seizure free! And the spells stopped for 6 months but then they started up again. One must be very careful when using this drug because it has many side effects. I have learned to recognize them and distinguish the difference between me and the drug but the most bothersome and hardest to cope with is the sudden rush of my heart pounding on my chest. It scares me to death. I think it's time for me to get off this drug. Please be careful if you use this drug. It's also very expensive in generic brand too.

LaneysMom
34170 thumb
LaneysMom
  • Age: 51
Condition: Migraine 4 additional condition(s)
Migraine

See LaneysMom's full Topiramate history

Jun 6, 2011 (Started Feb 10, 2007)

Moderate (for Migraine)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Metallic taste in mouth, Mental confusion, Dry mouth)
Advice & Tips: dry mouth, taste altering, weight changes, confusion
Side effects: Dry mouth, Mental confusion, Metallic taste in mouth

Colleen623
48456 thumb
Colleen623
  • Age: 53
Condition: Migraine 8 additional condition(s)
  • Mental: Moderate
Migraine

See Colleen623's full Topiramate history

Apr 5, 2011 (Started May 31, 2009)

None (for Migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (Brain cloud)

moodswinger
Function: High
Distress: Low
Bipolar II

See moodswinger's full Topiramate history

Mar 18, 2011 (Started Jan 01, 2005)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (Weight loss, Fatigue)
Advice & Tips: when i itially took it, i lost weight, but after a year these effects stopped. It also stopped nasty flashbacks. I take it as a mood stablizer. The 150mg dose made me a little drowsy so i am trying 100mg instead.
Side effects: Weight loss, Fatigue

Jan 1, 2008 (Started Jan 01, 2005)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (Fatigue)
Advice & Tips: taken on its own or with just anti depressants helps you loose weight!!!!!
Side effects: Weight loss, Fatigue

HappinessforEver
14876 thumb
HappinessforEver
  • Age: 56
Condition: Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) 15 additional condition(s)
  • Physical: Moderate
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)

See HappinessforEver's full Topiramate history

Feb 14, 2011 (Started Apr 04, 2008)

Slight (for OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder))

cmawally
  • Physical: None
0 seizures
95 weeks ago

See cmawally's full Topiramate history

Feb 11, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Moderate (for Seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Mild (Neck and shoulder ache, Jerky movements (myoclonus), Metallic taste in mouth, Feeling of insides shaking, Increased energy, Abdominal pain, Dry mouth, Hair loss, Dry eyes, Brain fog)
Dosage: Daily
Side effects: Neck and shoulder ache, Brain fog, Dry eyes, Increased energy, Feeling of insides shaking, Hair loss, Metallic taste in mouth, Dry mouth, Jerky movements (myoclonus), Abdominal pain

Nov 25, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Moderate (for Seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Neck and shoulder ache, Jerky movements (myoclonus), Metallic taste in mouth, Feeling of insides shaking, Increased energy, Abdominal pain, Dry mouth, Hair loss, Dry eyes, Brain fog)
Advice & Tips: Caused a build up over time in my system.Appeared to work OK at first but then began to get drowsy,brain fog,also hair started to fall out.Had break through complex partial seizures in combination with keppra.It did make me edgy at times and negative mood.Could probably cause depression if continued.Only benefit weight loss.Not worth the neurotoxicity at all in my opinion.

Oct 6, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Slight (for Seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Neck and shoulder ache, Jerky movements (myoclonus), Metallic taste in mouth, Feeling of insides shaking, Increased energy, Abdominal pain, Dry mouth, Dry eyes, Brain fog)
Advice & Tips: Have had moderate depression since taking this medication which is not normal for me.I also get overheated easily,sometimes run a low-grade temp and have been short of breath daily and very fatigued.Also nausea and have metal taste in mouth.Have tried mouth wash,water,etc.Taste will not go away.I am probably going to see an epileptologist my neurologist deals mainly with stoke patients and will have to travel a distance to find one but it will be worth it if it helps.I am having myoclonic twitching beneath right eye since September daily.This started when topiramate dose was being increased.Neuro. does not seem concerned.

Sep 13, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Major (for Seizures (complex partial))
  • Side effects
    Mild (Neck and shoulder ache, Jerky movements (myoclonus), Increased energy, Dry mouth, Dry eyes)
Advice & Tips: May tend to make you a little irritable in mood when you begin taking the medication.This could also have been due to the other medication trileptal leaving my system and the topamax reaching a therapeutic level.I was started on 25mg of topamax daily and increased dose by 25mg per week to reach a dose of 100mg daily.I have a mild twitch below my left eye almost consantly but this is not a major problem.

Aug 30, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Major (for Epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Neck and shoulder ache, Dry mouth, Dry eyes)
Advice & Tips: Can cause a little restlessness but it gets better during the noon too evening hours.

Aug 20, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2008)

Major (for Epilepsy)

0 seizures
298 weeks ago
I am: vg

See hnesbit's full Topiramate history

Feb 5, 2011 (Started Dec 05, 2010)

Moderate (for Headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Weight loss)
Advice & Tips: topamax seems to have the effect of having a weight loss. that is good for me because i have lost 10 pounds since i started taking it. i do have what i call "topamax brain" from time to time and during this time i feel like i am in a fog==light headed feeling. but all in all, it seems to work with the migraines with which i suffer.
Side effects: Weight loss

Showing 10 of 114 patient evaluations for Topiramate