119 patient evaluations for Topiramate

1032 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

May 19, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Slight (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: after trying 4 different kinds of seizure med gained 70 lbs I asked to go back to Dilantin . now they feel other meds or symptoms may be counteracting with my Dilantin from working , trying me on metformin for sugar to help with counteractions .

Mar 8, 2014 (Started Jul 29, 2005)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (hair loss, hair loss)
Advice & Tips: I have to take topomax reg DAW because the generic topomax causes me to have , pedimal seizures . No matter what the dr, or insurance co. tells you , the generic is not as safe , always found out many times with other meds .

Mar 15, 2014 (Started Jun 30, 2004)

Major (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects

Jan 8, 2014 (Started May 15, 2009)

Slight (for persistent aura without infarction)
  • Side effects
    Severe (electric shock sensation in feet)
Advice & Tips: Worked for awhile, but the electric shocks to my feet grew to be unbearable and lasted for up to 5 mins. which doesn't sound bad, but it was extreme as if I was being electrocuted

Jan 1, 2014 (Started Jul 01, 2001)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fuzzy thinking)
Advice & Tips: Switched to Botox shots for migraine; work just as well

Dec 19, 2013 (Started Nov 08, 2010)

Major (for migraine)
Advice & Tips: I liked this med it just got to expensive for me

Nov 26, 2013 (Started Feb 09, 2009)

None (for migraine headaches)
    None (for Increase effect of another treatment)
Advice & Tips: none

Nov 13, 2013 (Started Aug 01, 2011)

None (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (hair loss, auras, weight loss)
Advice & Tips: Slowly top up on this medication to reduce side effects and help your body get used to it.

Aug 18, 2013 (Started Oct 13, 2003)

Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This medication can cause you to loose a little weight. That said do NOT think this is a weight lose drug! You may only lose 5 lbs and it will only last a few months. Reason- you might not want to eat as much (great idea). As for migraine use- medication seems to work very well. BUT know it is designed to work in steps. If the level you are on isn't working talk with your doctor because they can and will increase the amount. Available in generic for cost savings.

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Oct 01, 2010)

Major (for generalized anxiety disorder)
    Moderate (for neuropathic pain- waist down and hands)
  • Side effects

Jun 6, 2013 (Started Jan 15, 2013)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (vision changes, sensory changes, sleepiness, hard sneezing, weight loss, cough, sensory sensitivity, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, heightened sense of smell (hyperosmia), decreased appetite)
Advice & Tips: I have been on seizure control meds all my life, this is the first one that actually helped me lose weight instead of gain it. I'm not on very much Topamax, and the rumor I heard/read was that people using it gave it the name Dopamax. I'm a writer and artist. I depend on my brain, needing it to work properly so I can have a happy and functioning life. I take my 3 pills all at once, 75 mg, at night before bed so I can write during the day. It was the only way I could do it. I still feel sleepy at times but I don't feel dopey... but I'm not on a lot either. The other thing I'd say is to be prepared for an entourage of strange sensory changes and sensitivities. I see in HD, as I like to put it, experience De Javu' all the time now, see titles on book come off the cover as though I'm wearing 3D glasses all the time, I taste smell and taste certain things at certain times of the day like burning fabric or the smell of metals like iron. I also cough for no reason and I am sneezing all the time now and it's not allergies... of which I don't have any. Should you take this med, I'd say take lots of notes, start slow, and keep the communication lines very open with your doctor.

Showing 10 of 119 patient evaluations for Topiramate