24 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline with a side effects rating of Severe

225 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Dec 13, 2010 (Started Nov 29, 2010)

None (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (headaches, anger, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, feeling out of it, dizziness upon moving, increased or worsened depression, alternating constipation and diarrhea, dry mouth, excessive sweating)
Advice & Tips: I experienced depression when I titrated up to 200 mg on the Lamictal XR which made me pretty useless and wasn't going away so I called my doctor and asked him for some Zoloft which worked wonders for me in the past. Imagine my surprise when he instead called in a precription for the generic form of Elavil. AWFUL medication!!! Worsened my depression, constant dry mouth, made me want to sleep all the time, caused me to be angry all the time. Caused me to have a couple of myoclonic seizures; that was enough for me. Titrated myself off the medicine. Did some research on it; found out that the tricyclic antidepressants actually tend to have more probability of causing seizures than do the SSRI's. The neurologist is probably going to be upset I took myself off the medicine, but I'd rather be depressed than live with the side effects of Elavil. Advice to anyone who is depressed and wants to try a med to control it--stay away from this drug. It seems to have a great deal of side effects, takes WEEKS to kick in, and can induce seizures even in people who don't have epilepsy. If I still feel this way when I see the doctor next month, I'll be asking for some Zoloft or other anti-depressant with less evil side effects!
Side effects: dry mouth, nausea and vomiting, anger, increased or worsened depression, feeling out of it, alternating constipation and diarrhea, headaches, dizziness upon moving, excessive sweating, drowsiness

Oct 23, 2010 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: I had been taking this drug as a sleeping pill for insomnia as I can't take sleeping pill due to bad reactions to them. I am very sensitive to drugs and especially this one. I could only take 1/4 of the recommended dose to sleep through the night or I'd be sleeping for a few days. This worked fine for a while but all of a sudden I started getting bad reactions from this drug.
Side effects: grogginess, mood changes, excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence)

Jul 25, 2010 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Moderate (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: this would be a fairly good treatment except for the drowsiness it causes in the morning. I used this drug as a sleeping pill because I'm very sensitive to it. I would take a quarter of this pill to give me a drowsiness to be able to fall asleep.A whole pill would knock me out for 2 days! but all of a sudden I started having bad reactions to taking the quarter of a pill. I would feel really strange and almost suicidal or something like that , strange thoughts would go through my head and then I would have pain in my stomache, weird feelings in my head and shortness of breath and was unable to sleep until the drug lost it's power. I really don't understand it because sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. I think if I have to use it to often I do get a reaction but If I haven't used it in a long time, like a few months then I don't get a reaction.

Jun 4, 2009 (Started Feb 04, 2006)

Can't tell (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), grogginess, mood changes)
Advice & Tips: Good for insomnia to help you sleep through the night if your not too sensitive to it. Good for when you wake up and can't go back to sleep. Keeps you drowsy so you can fall back to sleep fast. bad if you need to do something important in the morning.

Jul 16, 2010 (Started Jun 07, 2010)

Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects

Jun 11, 2010 (Started Feb 25, 2010)

• Side effects

May 24, 2010 (Started Jan 14, 2010)

Can't tell (for Pelvic Nerve pain)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This made me very tired and a vicious hunger that I couldn't satisfy. I also felt dopy the whole next day.

Feb 3, 2010 (Started Jan 14, 2010)

Slight (for Pelvic Nerve pain)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: This medication, even at 10mg, can make it difficult to function during the day but you will get a great night sleep. I think it also makes me crave food I don't normally eat and that I am not too crazy about. I take it for Pelvic nerve pain and although I don't feel much difference, My Pelvic Pain Therpist says it is calming things down.

May 3, 2010 (Started Apr 30, 2010)

Moderate (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects
    Severe (deteriorating mental ability (dementia), intoxicated feeling, weakness in limbs)
Advice & Tips: I took this medication for two days. The first day, I was severely fatigued, felt drunk with slurred speech, off balance and couldn't function. The second day, I was unable to get out of bed due to severe fatigue, mental function very low, weakness in entire body.
Side effects: deteriorating mental ability (dementia), intoxicated feeling, weakness in limbs

May 2, 2010 (Started Apr 30, 2010)

Slight (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for sleep problems)
  • Side effects

Apr 23, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2010)

Slight (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (apathy, weight gain, dry mouth, decreased sex drive (libido), dry skin, tiredness)
Side effects: apathy, decreased sex drive (libido), dry skin, tiredness, weight gain, dry mouth

Feb 1, 2010 (Started Feb 10, 2009)

Can't tell (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Severe (weight gain)
Advice & Tips: I kept trying to lose the 30 lbs I had put on and was unable to do it, no matter what I tried. Then I read that this drug has this side effect and asked the doctor to give me something else, since I had insomnia without depression, and didn't need an anti-depressant. I started losing the weight immediately, and all of it came off without me having to do anything else.
Side effects: weight gain

Oct 10, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2009)

None (for fibromyalgia)
    None (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood changes)
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: This medication changed my moods to very negative - very moody, and fiesty- After a week had to come off them as wold have murdered someone.
Side effects: mood changes

Dec 30, 2008 (Started )

Major (for depressed mood)
  • Side effects
    Severe (mood changes)
Advice & Tips: This was definately not the correct medication for me.
Side effects: mood changes