40 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline with a side effects rating of Moderate

319 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jan 5, 2011 (Started Oct 01, 2007)

Moderate (for Increase effect of another treatment)
    Moderate (for Treat side effects of another treatment)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Initally it relieved the severe aches and pains that I was getting but the other side effects I had like the constant hunger and constant tiredness.

Dec 1, 2010 (Started Mar 26, 2006)

Slight (for pain)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I've had problems with neuropathic pain for the last 10 years or so. I took neurontin for a long time until the maximum daily dose (3000 mg in divided doses, I think) just wasn't cutting it for me. After neurontin, Lyrica worked for maybe 6 months, and then I went through a series of anticonvulsants and tricyclics until I finally got to a combination that worked: Cymbalta + amitriptyline. That held for maybe four years, when it started becoming less effective. Also, I've started having serious problems with constipation, which amitriptyline can exacerbate. So I'm back to just Cymbalta and waiting to see what the neurologist at the pain clinic will suggest when I see him.

Oct 22, 2010 (Started Oct 21, 2010)

Can't tell (for Support mental / emotional health)
    Can't tell (for anxious mood)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: Caused serious drowsiness, definitely take at bedtime
Side effects: drowsiness

Sep 3, 2010 (Started Jul 02, 2010)

Major (for excess saliva)
  • Side effects

Jul 28, 2010 (Started Apr 29, 2010)

None (for fibromyalgia)
Advice & Tips: did not help at all and I gained weight

Jul 13, 2010 (Started Sep 20, 2009)

Slight (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness)
Advice & Tips: Was very effective initially for making me feel better rested. Started at 10mg at bedtime for 3 weeks and then upped to 20mg at bedtime for several months. After about a month and a half migraine frequency was reduced and length of attacks was reduced. After about five months the migraines started coming more frequently again and were lasting longer. Neurologist recommended that I increase the dose and see if that helped and keep doing that every few weeks until either the frequency of the attacks was manageable or the side effects became intolerable. Went to 30mg at bedtime but found I couldn't get up in the morning as I was too drowsy. Started taking 30mg at dinnertime but found that I couldn't stay alert long enough to get anything accomplished in the evening (I work full time, go to school part time, and have two kids and a husband that works 70+ hours a week so evening productivity is vital!) so I asked to try something else. Waiting for my next appointment with the neuro which is unfortunately 6 months away. Pharmacy was then unable to get the 10mg tablets so I was switched to one 25mg tablet. In the meantime I was officially diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by another specialist and she recommended that I be weaned off of the Amitriptyline for now so we can properly assess my reaction to Lyrica. I had absolutely no reduction in the Fibromyalgia pain from the Amitriptyline.
Side effects: drowsiness

Apr 19, 2010 (Started Oct 20, 2009)

Major (for insomnia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dry mouth at night)
Advice & Tips: dry mouth
Side effects: dry mouth at night

Feb 12, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2005)

Slight (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (constipation)
Advice & Tips: Was taking Elavil and Sertraline for the pseudo-bulbar affect, or emotional incontinence; have always struggled withing containing laughter when inappropriate or excessive as a PALS. Increasing the elavil causes my bowels to backup, even on my high fiber/water/senna regimen. Decided to try a compounded med consisting of dextromethorphan 30mg and quiniidine 10mg, two capsules daily.
Side effects: constipation

Feb 1, 2010 (Started May 05, 2009)

Can't tell (for Other)
Advice & Tips: weight gainer

Dec 26, 2009 (Started Jul 29, 2009)

Moderate (for unrefreshing or poor sleep)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I gained a lot of weight in a short period of time on this prescription despite having a decrease in appetite while on it.

Showing 10 of 40 patient evaluations for Amitriptyline