121 patient evaluations for Prednisone

1,414 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Jul 2, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Moderate (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Mar 5, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Can't tell (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Feb 5, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Major (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I've totally discontinued using the oral prednisone taper following solu-medrol infusions. It's a drag for 3/4 days of feeling wiped out & some other unpleasant after effects. But over many yrs. I've found that enduring the let down & subsequent withdrawal from the high dose infusions has FOR ME been a much better path to follow. MY EXPERIENCE has been that the sooner I can rid myself of the 'roids, the sooner I begin to feel stronger physically, mentally, & emotionally. I can begin PT & working on my overall functionality much sooner absent my body having to fight with lingering steroid effects.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Can't tell (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I only take this med as an oral taper after receiving IV solu-medrol. I don't always ask for a taper following IV treatment.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Feb 9, 2009 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Moderate (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: Use only what you need to bring you down from the massive steroid amount received from your infusion. I've found that the quicker I can rid myself of all of the steroids, including the oral taper, the quicker I am on to recovery from the exacerbation.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Sep 7, 2008 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Slight (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I feel that this medication is good to have available when tapering off of steroids following a regimen of IV solu-medrol. However I find personally that the sooner I can COMPLETELY rid myself of all steroids, the quicker I recover, & the better off I am overall. I like to have the oral Prednisone taper available following infusion as a "safety net" if I need it. Most often I use it for 2 to 3 days. Then I discontinue using it when I feel that my body's no longer craving the high dose of steroid that solu-medrol provides. I have no doubt that using an oral Prednisone taper is highly subjective & individually exclusive in terms of effectiveness to each patient.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

May 15, 2009 (Started May 08, 2009)

Moderate (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Mild (makes me very edgy, roid rage effects (steroids), increased appetite, acne breakout, dry mouth, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Stick with it it helps!
Side effects: increased appetite, roid rage effects (steroids), makes me very edgy, weight gain, dry mouth, acne breakout

Mar 5, 2009 (Started Feb 27, 2009)

Slight (for Other)
    Slight (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Mild (increased appetite, weight gain)
Dosage: 10 mg All the time (24/7)
Advice & Tips: Normally when I get put on a prednisone taper- I feel like super woman- I have more energy than one person can contain (Last time I literally tore my closet down TWICE). This time I did not have that super burst of energy (I sure could have used it)- I was exactly the opposite, I was very lethargic and slept almost 2 full days only getting up to use the restroom and eat (thats the other down side to prednisone, you are hungrier than you have ever been in your entire life- or thats how I feel- I just cant get enough to eat)
Side effects: weight gain, increased appetite

May 25, 2010 (Started Apr 26, 2010)

Moderate (for multiple sclerosis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (tachycardia (fast heart rate))
Advice & Tips: increase in energy level; burning and pain in feet stopped; numbness in left leg stopped; after decreasing dose ended symptoms are beginning to come back
Side effects: tachycardia (fast heart rate)

May 10, 1994 (Started Apr 19, 1993)

Moderate (for nephrotic syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (bald patch (alopecia), irregular menstrual periods)
Advice & Tips: I believe it is taking the Prednisone from age 3 years 'til I was in 7th grade, that has caused my patch of baldness with my hair. I also believe it is why I have hair growing on my upper lip and chin.
Side effects: hair on upper lip and chin, bald patch (alopecia), irregular menstrual periods

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Jul 01, 1994)

Major (for transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (skin sensitivity)
Advice & Tips: yes, acne and weight gain are a problem but not as much so as skin and bone issues. see a dermatologist and have bone density tests regularly and wear sunscreen always.
Side effects: skin sensitivity

Mar 29, 2010 (Started Jul 01, 1994)

Can't tell (for transplant rejection prevention)
  • Side effects
    Mild (skin sensitivity)
Advice & Tips: Some worry about the hair growth, weight gain, etc. I needed to gain a few pounds around the time of my transplant but since I got a kidney from my brother I was not on prednisone right away. It wasn't until 4 1/2 years later, when they thought I was having a rejection (I was not) that they put me on it. The dose was quite high at first and I did put on about 30 pounds but for many years now I have been on 5mg per day and have lost most of the weight I gained. Certainly weight gain is a side effect of prednisone along with hair growth, night sweats (never had that one), nightmares (had a few of those) but they are nothing compared to the bone loss from long term use. I have been on pred for over 15 years and have been experiencing a decrease in bone density. I was on actonel for a couple years but it really upset my stomach and since it seemed my bone loss has not gotten worse for the past couple years, I have discontinued the actonel. I will be hitting menopause any year so I'm sure I will be doing something to keep those bones strong. fortunately there are new treatments available and I am hoping for an easier time with it. Another possible side effect is high blood pressure. I have been fortunate not to have this one either but patients do need to keep tabs of it especially on prednisone.
Side effects: skin sensitivity

Dec 5, 1999 (Started Feb 05, 1997)

Can't tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I used predisone b/c I was positive for anti heart block. I used it for my last 2 pregnancies. My children were both born healthy. It deteriorated my bone density but was worth it.

Jun 16, 2010 (Started Jun 30, 2000)

Moderate (for asthma)
  • Side effects
    Mild (heart palpitations)
Advice & Tips: Due to bariatric bypass weight loss surgery on Dec 22, 2010, I am no longer allowed to use this medication except in extreme emergency as it is likely to cause ulcers in my new stomach.

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 2012)

Moderate (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (nausea, constipation)

Aug 24, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 2012)

Moderate (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
  • Side effects
    Mild (constipation)
Advice & Tips: I started taking 1 pill in the morning and 1 in the evening for 7days. then 1 pill a day until I see my PCP, on day 15 and feeling very nauseated and in alot of pain.

Jul 1, 2015 (Started Sep 06, 2015)

Slight (for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)

Showing 10 of 121 patient evaluations for Prednisone