120 patient evaluations for Prednisone

1,364 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 24, 2017 (Started Dec 15, 2015)

Can’t tell (for pneumonia)
    Can’t tell (for influenza (the "flu"))
    Can’t tell (for asthma)
    Can’t tell (for bronchospasm)
  • Side effects
    Mild (edema (fluid retention))
Advice & Tips: Currently I just take 20 mg the day before and after my IVIG. I receive 40 mg the day of the infusion as premedication.

Dec 19, 2015 (Started Dec 15, 2015)

Moderate (for pneumonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (edema (fluid retention))

Jul 2, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Moderate (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Mar 5, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Can’t tell (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Feb 5, 2017 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Major (for relapse MS (exacerbation))
  • Side effects
    Moderate (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I've totally discontinued using the oral prednisone taper following solu-medrol infusions. It's a drag for 3/4 days of feeling wiped out & some other unpleasant after effects. But over many yrs. I've found that enduring the let down & subsequent withdrawal from the high dose infusions has FOR ME been a much better path to follow. MY EXPERIENCE has been that the sooner I can rid myself of the 'roids, the sooner I begin to feel stronger physically, mentally, & emotionally. I can begin PT & working on my overall functionality much sooner absent my body having to fight with lingering steroid effects.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Sep 7, 2012 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Can’t tell (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I only take this med as an oral taper after receiving IV solu-medrol. I don't always ask for a taper following IV treatment.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Feb 9, 2009 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Moderate (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: Use only what you need to bring you down from the massive steroid amount received from your infusion. I've found that the quicker I can rid myself of all of the steroids, including the oral taper, the quicker I am on to recovery from the exacerbation.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Sep 7, 2008 (Started Jun 28, 2007)

Slight (for Other)
  • Side effects
    Severe (digestive disturbances)
Advice & Tips: I feel that this medication is good to have available when tapering off of steroids following a regimen of IV solu-medrol. However I find personally that the sooner I can COMPLETELY rid myself of all steroids, the quicker I recover, & the better off I am overall. I like to have the oral Prednisone taper available following infusion as a "safety net" if I need it. Most often I use it for 2 to 3 days. Then I discontinue using it when I feel that my body's no longer craving the high dose of steroid that solu-medrol provides. I have no doubt that using an oral Prednisone taper is highly subjective & individually exclusive in terms of effectiveness to each patient.
Side effects: digestive disturbances

Apr 6, 2017 (Started Jan 24, 2017)

Major (for undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis)
    Major (for pain)
    Major (for inflammation)
    Major (for hypermobility syndrome)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (unrefreshing or poor sleep, manic behaviors)
Advice & Tips: If you are diabetic, I suggest a Paleo diet or low carb, no sugar diet to off set the increase in glucose levels. Plus it helps with the inflammation and weight loss.

Aug 15, 2016 (Started Jan 01, 1985)

Moderate (for rheumatoid arthritis)
    Major (for Addison's disease)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (diabetes type 2, acute renal failure, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Prednisone has long (30 years worth) been my "nasty but necessary" treatment for my Rheumatoid Arthritis. It has caused me innumerable side effect problems, including 100lbs of weight gain, the dissolution of my previous marriage, Diabetes II, renal (kidney) failure, etc... Going off of it at various times has made me extremely ill, at least 3 times resulted in my hospitalization. For many years, this was the only RA treatment that functioned consistently and allowed me to continue living my life at least somewhat normally.

Jul 21, 2016 (Started Sep 15, 2015)

Slight (for inflammation in joints)
    Moderate (for Crohn's disease)
    Moderate (for arthritis pain)
  • Side effects
    Severe (insomnia (less than 2 hours sleep), excessive thirst (polydipsia), dry skin, mood swings, weight gain)
Advice & Tips: This is low cost but the side effects are worth considering. For short term use not an issue. For long term however, it has weight gain and insomnia, anxiousness, and need to taper of slowly or major withdrawals an issue. It seems for me it is no longer as effective from long term use.

Apr 17, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Can’t tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
    None (for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome)
  • Side effects
    Severe (rash on face, blurry vision, weight gain, bruise easily, elevated blood pressure, moon face, stretch marks, wired, feeling feverish, heart rate increased, flushing)
Dosage: 1.25 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Down to 1,25 mg since five days. The day after I woke with face rash that worsened during the day and the day after. Try to treat with lavender oil and coconut oil. A little better. Have always had perfect skin. Read somewhere that it might well be effect of tapering, happened to others too. More pain, especially in the thighs (that's why the GP thought it was PMR), weaker, stiffer, feel like I might fall when walking the rest of the day if I take a short walk (300 m) earlier in the day. On the plus side: moon face and double chin visibly reduced. Can't wait to get off completely next week.

Apr 8, 2016 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Can’t tell (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Severe (blurry vision, weight gain, bruise easily, elevated blood pressure, moon face, stretch marks, wired, feeling feverish, heart rate increased, flushing)
Dosage: 2.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Turns out I never had PMR. Very difficult to come off. Suddenly easier when came down to 5 mg than earlier (from 40, started being difficult at 27,5 already). Positive: very strong nails, but that is the only one. The side effects are difficult. Especially sad for all the big and ugly stretch marks everywhere that will remain. Looking forward to getting rid of the moon face and the pred belly.

Mar 5, 2015 (Started Feb 03, 2015)

Moderate (for polymyalgia rheumatica)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (moon face, wired, feeling feverish, heart rate increased, flushing)
Advice & Tips: At 40 mg I am far from well (still weak, unable to stand for long and can't walk too far), but I have started to wake up rested in the mornings the last week or so, not in too much pain, less flu symptoms, and am able to think properly (calmly and methodically) for the first time in 19 years. The side effects seem to come a few days into new or elevated dose, stay for a week or two and then lessen as the body adjusts.

Nov 21, 2015 (Started Nov 11, 2015)

Slight (for inflammation)
Dosage: 20 mg Twice daily

Nov 16, 2015 (Started Nov 11, 2015)

Slight (for inflammation)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (eyelid heaviness, increased appetite, eye lid heaviness)
Dosage: 20 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: Ravenous appitite

Jul 1, 2015 (Started Sep 06, 2015)

Slight (for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis)
  • Side effects

Jun 8, 2015 (Started May 23, 2015)

Moderate (for tendinitis)
    Moderate (for bursitis)
    Moderate (for arthritis pain in knees)
  • Side effects
    Mild (fluid retention weight gain)
Dosage: 5 mg Twice daily
Advice & Tips: This is my second course of tapered dose Prednisone this year.Earlier in the year it was for the calcified tendonitis in my Achilles tendons...

May 3, 2015 (Started Oct 06, 2011)

None (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
    Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (rashes (redness, swelling))

Mar 15, 2015 (Started Oct 06, 2011)

Can’t tell (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
    Can’t tell (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (rashes (redness, swelling))

Showing 10 of 120 patient evaluations for Prednisone