27 patient evaluations for Physical Therapy with a burden rating of Not at all hard to take

164 members have decided to share their profiles only with other members of PatientsLikeMe.

Aug 1, 2017 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for Balance problems)
    Major (for Parkinson's disease)
    Major (for Improve mobility)
    Major (for Freezing of gait)
Dosage: 15 min Daily
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. Since I had DBS, my balance is not as good as it was. SO i My routine consists of 5 things: Spins (for warmup I spin 1, 2, 3, 4 times; 4 sets of these); wobble board exercises (2 min on two feet, one min on each of left foot and right foot); standing heel toe with one foot in front of the other (1 min right foot in front, 1 min left foot in front), and walking on my heels (3 - 5 min)

Jun 25, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for Balance problems)
    Major (for dystonia)
    Moderate (for Freezing of gait)
    Major (for Improve mobility)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 5 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes; 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Here were the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. Every other day, I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg, one set of 60 sec on right leg). The other day I do the exercises on a wobble board. Most day I also attempt to stand on each leg for 60 sec with my eyes closed (I stand in a corner and put my hands out for balance.B. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A before the rest of my workout; I do B before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 20-lb dumbbells for about 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. Most days I also walk with 10-lb dumbbells for 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels. I walk on my heels for five minutes after my workout. 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about five minutes every other day after the rest of my workout. 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Most weeks I will, a couple of times a week, walk backwards for twp or three minutes, walk sideways to the left for two minutes, and walk sideways to the right for two minutes. I do this after the rest of my workout.

Feb 10, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Major (for Balance problems)
    Major (for dystonia)
    Moderate (for Freezing of gait)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 4 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes: Here are the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). B. Standing on wobble board (2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). C. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A and B before the rest of my workout; I do C before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 15-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes B. I walk backward with 5-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes I do A and B before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels A. I walk on my heels for one minute before the rest of my workout B. I walk on my heels for five minutes after I'm done 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about a minute before the rest of my workout

Sep 25, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I follow a specific program to reduce my dystonia. See http://home.earthlink.net/~strkl/ for it.

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Moderate (for dystonia)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Uncomfortable)
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: My dystonia is worse in my left foot. It becomes pigeon-toed (pointing inward), and tends to twist so that I land on the outside of my foot when walking. In fact, I need to be careful that my ankle doesn't roll over (twisting my ankle). If I concentrate on landing more to the inside of my foot, and trying to keep my foot straight, I can continue to walk for a while. I've worked up to the point where I can walk for a mile or more this way. And I've found that I seem to have built up resistance to dystonia. I can exercise at higher intensity, or for a longer time, before getting dystonia. It used to be that once I went into dystonia, I would have to stop walking or running and finish my workout on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. And I would not be able to walk normally until I took my next dose and waited 30 to 60 minutes for it to take effect. (And it would be preferable to take my next dose immediately, or it would take two hours for me to come on then.) But now, even after pushing through the dystonia, once I shower and change, my dystonia is gone, and I can take my medication on my usual schedule. I do this as part of my regular exercise routine, not as Home Physical Therapy. I've just entered it this way because it seems to be the only way I can do so. I wrote about this in more detail at http://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/100055?post_id=1535080#post-1535080

Dec 8, 2015 (Started Dec 15, 2014)

Major (for Weakness of limbs)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Think positive!!

Dec 1, 2014 (Started Oct 15, 2008)

Slight (for osteoarthritis)
    Slight (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I'll stick to deep tissue massage which I believe helps me more.

Nov 12, 2012 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

Moderate (for bursitis)
    None (for Improve mobility)
    None (for osteoarthritis)
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Oct 21, 2011 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

None (for gait training)
    None (for multiple sclerosis)
    Moderate (for osteoarthritis)
Dosage: 30 min Weekly

Aug 27, 2010 (Started Sep 01, 2007)

None (for gait training)
    None (for multiple sclerosis)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: for shoulder pain. PT had me stop doing certain exercises while working out.

Jun 2, 2012 (Started May 05, 2012)

Moderate (for Weakness in legs)
  • Side effects
    Mild (Fatigue after sessions. Progression satifactory, Fatigue)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Physical therapy is a wonderful exercise in understanding what muscles need the most stretching and strengthening. If it keeps me from going back to the wheelchair, it is worth it. I will follow up by joining the facility for workouts in the upper body also. Everyone with MS should consider this as a vital part of the MS progression.

Apr 19, 2012 (Started May 05, 2012)

Slight (for Weakness in legs)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: My legs are beginning to weaken and loss of balance increasing. Vetigo

May 12, 2011 (Started May 10, 2011)

Major (for primary lateral sclerosis)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Using passive ROM strecthing and ultrasound to loosen muscles and tendons to relieve pain from tight spastic muscles.

Jul 8, 2010 (Started May 10, 2011)

None (for primary lateral sclerosis)
    Major (for fibromyalgia)
  • Side effects

Sep 3, 2010 (Started May 20, 2008)

Moderate (for Stiffness/Spasticity)
Dosage: 100 min Weekly

Apr 15, 2010 (Started Aug 15, 2009)

Moderate (for Walking problems)
Dosage: 120 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: Had to stop because insurance would no longer cover it.

Apr 12, 2010 (Started Mar 08, 2010)

Slight (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Slight (for Pain in legs)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: PT is definitely worth a try. It DID help a little in building my endurance & strength and decreased my level of pain slightly. I still have the exercises at home to do to keep up my progress. I can also sign up for the "after care program" which means I can come and use their gym for awhile a few times a week. It costs $30.00/month.

Mar 25, 2010 (Started Mar 08, 2010)

Major (for Improve flexibility/strength)
    Slight (for Pain in legs)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: PT actually does help in building up weakened muscles, especially in my legs. I am very sore after I leave, though. It works itself out after a hour or so at home. I'm trying to build up strength & endurance for when I have surgery on my back, hopefully the postop course won't hurt

Feb 18, 2010 (Started Jul 15, 2008)

Major (for Increase effect of another treatment)
Dosage: 180 min Monthly
Side effects: Pain, Loss of energy, Migraine headaches, Migraine headaches

Nov 3, 2009 (Started Jul 15, 2008)

Slight (for Increase effect of another treatment)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (Migraine headaches, Loss of energy, Pain)
Side effects: Pain, Loss of energy, Migraine headaches, Migraine headaches