5 patient evaluations for Running

Jul 1, 2008 (Started Jun 08, 2008)

Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: Get good running shoes. Also, probably easier to do in the morning if you can find the time. Also, training for a running event is a good motivator.

Sep 13, 2009 (Started Mar 01, 2009)

Slight (for weight loss)
Dosage: 30 min Every other day

Sep 1, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Major (for mobility decreased)
  • Side effects
    Mild (joint pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: As of Sept 1, 2010, I am lumping running together with the other aerobic exercise I do - walking, exercise bike, elliptical.
Side effects: joint pain, muscle aches

Jun 1, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Major (for mobility decreased)
  • Side effects
    Mild (joint pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: 20 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I started running again, sporadically, about a year ago. Since June I've been running one or two miles a day, two or three days a week. I usually don't run it continuously. I'll run two or three laps (on an indoor track, 13 laps to the mile), then walk one or two, and repeat. I”ve found that walking and running reduce my freezing problems (I’ve had severe freezing episodes when I’m off). A couple of years ago, when I pushed hard while walking oar running, I would start to freeze. And once that happened, I could not walk well until I took my next dose of medication. And even then, it would take a couple of hours for my meds to kick in. Within the past year or so, I’ve been able to push myself much harder when exercising, without freezing. And when I do freeze, I can force myself to walk through it for close to half a mile. And even when walking is tough, running is a bit easier, and seems to keep me from going off. And even when I do freeze, once I stop, I can walk normally within a few minutes, and am good for a couple more hours. I’m also having much less off time –I’m essentially on from the time my meds kick in after I get up, until 7 or 8 at night. And I know walking and running is primarily responsible for this change, rather than my medications. Because from January until about April of this year (2010), I did much less walking and running (although I continued to exercise hard - usually exercise bike or elliptical) due to a strained hamstring. And once I started walking and running again, I would tend to freeze after about half a mile. But within a few months, I got my ability back and even improved from before.
Side effects: joint pain, muscle aches

Dec 31, 2005 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Major (for mobility decreased)
  • Side effects
    Mild (joint pain, muscle aches)
Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I started running in high school, to get in shape for track. I was never very competitive in track, but I enjoyed the way I felt when I was in shape. Running also helped me relax. And I noticed I almost never got sick. I had to stop running due to (unmedicated) Parkinson's, but I'm starting to do it again. I'll list it once I can regularly (once a week or so) run a mile or two.

Showing 3 of 5 patient evaluations for Running