13 patient evaluations for Medroxyprogesterone Acetate

Nov 21, 2010 (Started Nov 01, 2007)

Major (for breakthrough intermenstrual bleeding)
Dosage: 400 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: I take this injection to stop my heavy periods and from the first injection I have not had a period since. There are some down sides to it's long term use, some people can find that they gain weight, not that I have had this problem. Another side affect can be thinning of the bones, I do have this problem but I am also on a high dose of steroid which can also do that so it is not sure what is causing it in my case. I would recommend this medication to anyone though, its easy just a small injection every 3 months.

Aug 1, 2010 (Started Jul 06, 1994)

Major (for Other)
    Moderate (for menstrual cramps)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (vaginal dryness, absence of menstruation (amenorrhea))
Advice & Tips: 1. its every 3 months 2. no periods! 3. no babies!
Side effects: absence of menstruation (amenorrhea), vaginal dryness

Dec 10, 2008 (Started Jul 06, 1994)

Major (for Other)
    Moderate (for menstrual cramps)
  • Side effects
    Mild (vaginal dryness, absence of menstruation (amenorrhea))
Advice & Tips: Leg cramps are listed but I never got them. An African American roomate friend of mine lost some hair while on this drug. My best friend took this once and spotted for the entire 3 months. I however have never had these problems and have had a wonderful experience!
Side effects: absence of menstruation (amenorrhea), vaginal dryness

Jul 19, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2010)

Major (for Birth control)
    Moderate (for mood swings)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (irregular menstrual periods, breakthrough intermenstrual bleeding)
Advice & Tips: Depo for me has it's good points and bad. I've had my two fab kids and so infertility is not an issue for me. Also I am not in a relationship so neither really is birth control! For me it is management of my moods as before and during my period (and just as I'm due for my next injection) I get terribly irritable and depressed. On the good side it has lightened my periods significantly, almost stopping them except for the three weeks my dog was in season then I was on for three whole weeks... Talk about bodies falling in synch with those you are closest to! The breakthrough bleeding and occasional cramps can be a pain cause you have no way of telling when they will happen.
Side effects: irregular menstrual periods, breakthrough intermenstrual bleeding

Jul 6, 2010 (Started Jan 01, 2010)

Major (for Birth control)
    None (for mood swings)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (irregular menstrual periods, breakthrough intermenstrual bleeding)
Side effects: irregular menstrual periods, breakthrough intermenstrual bleeding