138 patient evaluations for Lamotrigine

Sep 27, 2008 (Started Aug 01, 2008)

Slight (for Other)
    Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
    Moderate (for Increase effect of another treatment)
  • Side effects
    Mild (cramps in calf muscles, hair loss, sedation, slowed reaction time, vision problems)
Advice & Tips: Don't take more than 100mg for Bipolar a day quickly. The side effects go from mild to moderate. The distorted sparkes went crazy, slight pains like growing pains appeared, the calf cramps made it hard to walk, it made me really sedated, and my reaction time was 5X slower. My friends would hit me in the face, and I didn't respond to it until 2 seconds later. At 100mg a day and over a month into it, the side effects are pretty much non-existent. If you experience calf muscle cramping, it's from a Calcium deficiency. Lamotrigine decreases Vitamin D, which absorbs calcium. Take one or two Calcium+D tablets a day. It is a glutamate inhibitor and sodium channel blocker, so MSG has no direct mental effects. I was worried that it would make the effects less effective, but then I heard about a woman who took it for migraines that were sensitive to MSG. That also means that L-Glutamin is fine to take as a weight lifting supplement. Overall, it has made me much more reliable and stable. I get mild hi, lows, and mixed swings still, but that's nothing compared to what I'm capable of. The mixed swings have increased, but again, they've been really mild. It also has a slight elevating effect so that mood swings tend to be in the positive direction. Socially, it has killed my over-hyperness and anxiety. I think that's a very good thing. I can actually talk to people without being a d*ck or a creep.
Side effects: vision problems, hair loss, cramps in calf muscles, slowed reaction time, sedation

Jan 1, 2009 (Started May 08, 2008)

Can't tell (for Other)
  • Side effects

Dec 13, 2008 (Started May 08, 2008)

Slight (for Other)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: Itchiness is one thing, but if you develop any rash (no matter how small or insignificant you may think it is) go the nearest hospital emergency room. Rashes caused by Lamictal can be fatal if not treated immediately.

Nov 29, 2008 (Started May 08, 2008)

Can't tell (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: risk of dangerous rash. if your develop a rash, go to the nearest emergency room

Sep 1, 2008 (Started May 08, 2008)

Moderate (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I started Lamictal SLOWLY because it is necessary. I did not have a rash (which can be life-threatening-GET TO THE ER) but did have a lot of itching for the first month, talked to my psychiatrist and he said not to worry about it and then it stopped. I was worried I would not be able to take Lamictal and was disappointed because it was the first medication I was given as I am recently diagnosed. I am able to take Lamicatal and I am so happy with this medication. It has really helped my mood disorder. I notice if I am a couple hours late taking my dose I get really irritated. It really does make a big difference. Some days, of course, my mood is all over the place or totally up or totally down. I believe medications are great, but sometimes I think no medication can controll all mood fluctuations when you have bipolar disorder. I have been on the same dosage for months and sometimes think I need a higher dose, but my psychiatrist disagrees at this point. I listen to him because he knows more than I do about mood disorders. I have never handled my mood swings very well on my own (hence, alcohol & drugs).

Jun 23, 2009 (Started Jan 06, 2009)

Major (for Treat my mood condition(s))
  • Side effects
    Mild (dry mouth, word fishing, sore throat, headaches, problems concentrating, nasal congestion, word finding difficulty)
Side effects: sore throat, word finding difficulty, word fishing, dry mouth, headaches, problems concentrating, nasal congestion, problems concentrating, nasal congestion

Showing 3 of 138 patient evaluations for Lamotrigine