64 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium

Aug 20, 2012 (Started Aug 15, 1988)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (dental problems, weight gain, fatigue, generalized anxiety disorder)
Advice & Tips: I find the burden of taking this med very diffucult because I have been on the same med for 25 yrs now and I feel it is not as efficient now as it was 25 yrs ago. It is causing dental issues with my tooth enamel and gums. It causes weight issues even though I eat an extremely healthy diet and am active. In the past 3 yrs, I haven't felt nearly as well as in past yrs. I have recently learned that Drs. no longer perscribe Depakote to children as it may cause depression/suicidal thoughts. I believe I am experiencing feelings of anxiety due to long-term usage. I know there are newer/better medications and don't understand why my neurologist just shrugs me off when I mention the possibility for change.

Jul 17, 2012 (Started Mar 04, 1972)

Major (for bipolar disorder)
    Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (personality changes due to medication, fluid retention weight gain)

May 2, 2012 (Started Mar 04, 1972)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (personality changes due to medication, fluid retention weight gain)

Apr 28, 2012 (Started Mar 04, 1972)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Severe (personality changes due to medication, fluid retention weight gain)
Advice & Tips: This drug is also used to treat and elevate the mood particulary in mild/severe bipolar disorder. Therefor this has to be considered when decreasing the drug because the clients epilepsy has stabilized enough to warrant a reduction in anti-convulsive therapy.

Mar 2, 2012 (Started Mar 04, 1972)

Major (for epilepsy)
  • Side effects
    Mild (personality changes due to medication, fluid retention weight gain)
Advice & Tips: Apert from the wheiht gain which is managed with a balanced diet I do find my mental health has improved somewhat as well. Perhaps because of the impact it has in my epilepsy control perhaps not as I have read it is used in mental health treatment as well.

May 10, 2012 (Started Sep 08, 1993)

Can't tell (for epilepsy)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily