65 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium

Oct 15, 2007 (Started Mar 15, 2007)

Moderate (for epilepsy)
    Major (for migraine headaches)
  • Side effects
    Severe (loss of manual dexterity, unintentional weight loss, hair loss, excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), loss of balance, decreased appetite)

Aug 31, 2007 (Started Dec 15, 2005)

Moderate (for bipolar disorder)
  • Side effects
    Severe (tremor(s), weight gain, slowed thinking)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: I put on between 50 and 60 pounds while on Depakote ER, and lost my desire to work out, since I was a walking Zombie. In addition I don't feel that it helped me very much with mood swings, as I still had them, and would snap at people such as coworkers, friends, bosses, etc. Coming off Depakote was extremely difficult. A few weeks into tapering off, I out of nowhere became extremely dizzy at work and fell down. To stand up I had to hold on to the counters and get myself to a table. After this I started having bad muscle pain and tightness. In addition, my mood swings were actually worse than before. I have found lamictal to be a much better functioning medication, with very little side affects.
Side effects: slowed thinking, tremor(s), weight gain

Aug 1, 2007 (Started Aug 15, 2006)

None (for Tourette syndrome)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: MISDIAGNOSED WITH TOURETTE SYNDROME BY AN RXHAPPY DOCTOR. Had an EEG showing Temporal Lobe Epileptogenesis in Nov. 2009 but due to insurance troubles couldn't get a second test done until July 2011, which came back normal. They think my Epilepsy might have gone away on its own by then, but I was not prescribed Depakote for Epilepsy anyway. It didn't make me feel BAD like most of my other medications, but it did nothing for the twitches either. But I stayed on it for quite some time anyway only because my doctor told me I had to take it with ice cream, haha.

Showing 3 of 65 patient evaluations for Divalproex sodium