9 patient evaluations for Acetazolamide

Jan 23, 2012 (Started May 01, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (ataxia (lack of coordination), sore throat, exhaustion, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, fatigue, nausea)
Advice & Tips: This makes you very tired, and you become very aware of shifts within your brain pressure. It is, however, the only thing that kept me from further cognitive loss and blindness (which I was on the edge of). I really do recommend it, even though it kind of sucks. We found out that my synthroid was the cause of my IIH; we don't know how, but my body somehow processes synthroid differently. I was taken off of synthroid (put onto cytomel) and spent a month being stepped off of diamox -- after the first half-life, the step-down rate became very quick (we waited until my medicine gave me two consecutive low-pressure headaches at the current dose). I still have over-sensitized eyes, non-perfect visual fields, and a lot of audio/visual identification trouble (what is that object, what does that word match up to) and strategizing/problem-solving/working memory isssues, but hopefully those will clear up in the next year or two.

Oct 25, 2011 (Started May 01, 2011)

Major (for idiopathic intracranial hypertension)
  • Side effects
    Severe (ataxia (lack of coordination), sore throat, exhaustion, numbness and tingling with pins and needles, fatigue, nausea)
Dosage: 2000 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Make sure to understand whether you are having low-pressure or high pressure headaches (how they change in relation to whether or not you're lying down helps); I usually suffer high-pressure headaches but on a higher dose I realized when I took doses too close together (10 hours about instead of 12) I was actually getting some low-pressure headaches.

Mar 1, 2011 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Moderate (for weight loss)
  • Side effects

Jul 14, 2009 (Started Jun 15, 2009)

Moderate (for weight loss)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: I don't know why a drug meant for altitude sickness has the effect of helping me lose the weight I gained on a higher dose of Mirapex, but it seems to be working. I've lost 4 or 5 pounds in the month I've been on it.

Apr 15, 2010 (Started Apr 16, 2009)

None (for diuretic)
  • Side effects
Advice & Tips: It made me very tired, weak, drained, did not notice the diurectic effects any different than before taking it, actually voiding seemed to be harder and less at the time I quit taking this drug. There was a huge difference in how I felt, which was so much better after I got off it.

Showing 3 of 9 patient evaluations for Acetazolamide