6 patient evaluations for Codeine

Dec 15, 2014 (Started Dec 13, 2014)

• Side effects

Dec 5, 2014 (Started Oct 20, 2014)

Major (for pain)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (drowsiness, chronic constipation)
Advice & Tips: I've backed off taking codeine again, simply because of the constipation. I prefer having to wake up and take extra paracetamol or ibuprofen and enjoy a natural intestinal rhythm. As a post-op pain relief, great. As a long term solution, I'll look elsewhere.

Nov 24, 2014 (Started Oct 20, 2014)

Major (for pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (drowsiness, chronic constipation)
Advice & Tips: Codeine has a great side benefit in that it makes me a little drowsy - it really helps my insomnia, so now I take Codeine once a night, which still slows the bowels down but fibre, water and the occasional suppository helps that along. Using Codeine means I can get through the night without topping up the painkillers too. One is enough.

Nov 10, 2014 (Started Oct 20, 2014)

Major (for pain)
  • Side effects
    Severe (drowsiness, chronic constipation)
Advice & Tips: Codeine really knocked my seizure and surgery pain into a cocked hat. Very effective, but I have never experienced constipation like it. Seriously, first six, then seven days without bowel movements, and when the earth DID finally move, 5 hours of discomfort. I was under strict instructions not to 'strain at stool' so to speak, so a poop shute full of fecal coal (colinic impaction) with diarrhea building up pressure to get by meant that I gave up codeine for a twiddly mixture of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen. Still on Lactulose Solution and suppositories but returning to normal. Would still use codeine for major pain relief, but only for a day or two.

Nov 2, 2014 (Started Apr 22, 2014)

Moderate (for pain in upper back)
    Moderate (for pain in lower back)
    Moderate (for unrefreshing or poor sleep)
  • Side effects
    Severe (bowel problems, itchy scalp, itchy nose, itchy eyes, itchy ears, constipation, itching)
Advice & Tips: If I don't take a diphenhydramine with it, the itching drives me crazy. Also have to take 5 tsp. psyllium a day so I am not constipated.

Apr 30, 2014 (Started Apr 22, 2014)

Major (for pain)
  • Side effects
    Mild (bowel problems, itchy scalp, itchy nose, itchy eyes, itchy ears, constipation, itching)
Advice & Tips: I have to cut the pills open or else they don't work for me. Give me a good night's sleep without being woken up by pain.

Showing 3 of 6 patient evaluations for Codeine