18 patient evaluations for Rituximab

Mar 24, 2016 (Started Feb 25, 2016)

Can't tell (for transverse myelitis)
Dosage: 10 mg Every 6 months
Advice & Tips: I haven't had any side effects. I cannot tell if there are any unexpected benefits. It takes a full day for me to drive to where my infusion takes place, then drive home. The hospital is 1 1/2 hours one way. The infusion itself takes 6 hours, a week apart. Then the same drive time back home.

Sep 15, 2014 (Started Jul 15, 2012)

Slight (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Mild (sinus headaches)
Dosage: 10 mg Yearly
Advice & Tips: This was an infusion. Go prepared to sit back and relax. Take the Benedryl offered to you and go to sleep for a while. Depending on the dose, you may be there for five hours (or as little as two). Bring a book. No work. No annoying phone calls. This was a perfect excuse to rest. You will havwe to go into the doctor's office and miss a day of work. Immediately after an infusion I would be hungry and tired. So I would go home and take a nap after lunch. Because of small veins and constant dehydration, it would take five to five and a half hours for me to get my dosage. I went once every six months initially, then once every four months. If after three doses you were not getting any relief, talk to your doctor. She may wish to change the number of times you were getting treated.

Mar 25, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2006)

Major (for systemic lupus erythematosus)
    Major (for rheumatoid arthritis)
  • Side effects
    Moderate (nausea, migraine)
Advice & Tips: I use the Scopalamine Patch the night before (helps eliminate the nausea - I have tried Phenergan and Zofran -both used to work, but don't any more). Occasionally I have side effects during the drip (itchiness in throat, ears and head - now they add tagamet and claritin to stop that - last infusion it worked well). Retuxan has changed my life - I was unable to work before i was on it- after the first infusion about 1 month later I went to EUROPE for a week (I never could have gone before!) and I walked, went to Paris, London, had a blast! Prior to retuxan I had stopped working completely and spend most of my life in bed. I had researched this drug and was waiting for for the FDA to approve. As soon as it did my doc got approval ( had been on EVERYTHING prior to that) and had a needle in my arm! I was the second patient to receive treatment at my clinic! It is a godsend! I'm not "normal" but I am a LOT better (I can tell when I can't afford it- it is pricey but the company has started a program to help you pay for what insurance wont (it's apprx 7-20,000 per infusion)So with a copay or if you get it early in the year you owe all of your out of pocked and deductible (3K for me!). It is an all day infusion (about 6 hours) and bc of problems years ago with an insurance company that paid for it, then when we moved to a different insurance company they went back and "retroactively denied treatment" I fought but still owed the clinic $8000 which I did NOT have on hand. They have told me I can NEVER get infused at their clinic (which is a problem bc many clinics are with hospitals and they won't let me get infusioned if my doc doesn't have privs, or the hospitals want the doctor to get approval and her office refuses since they aren't getting paid. SO..advice - even if your doctor says you are approved CALL INSURANCE find out how much you will owe. Once it's in your arm you could owe a lot of money. AND some clinics don't actually get authorization (then they will charge you a LARGE fee - your insurance). BUT apart from the cost (LOL) it is brilliant! OH - the typical dose is 2 infusions 2 weeks apart every 4 months (that is NOT ON THE LIST OF CHOICES). You can get it more frequently (and I did once) but you need to get approval from your insurance.

Showing 3 of 18 patient evaluations for Rituximab