1 patient evaluation for PowerGrip Assisted Grasp Orthosis

Jun 2, 2013 (Started Jun 16, 2011)

Slight (for Support quality of life)
  • Side effects
Dosage: 1 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I do not recommend an ALS patient purchasing this device. I have found it to be somewhat cumbersome and overall not very effective for the price. Out-of-pocket cost was $600.

Jun 27, 2011 (Started Jun 16, 2011)

Major (for Support quality of life)
  • Side effects
Dosage: 1 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: A power grip orthosis is a brace that mounts to your forearm and holds your thumb in a fixed position. Your index finger and middle finger are strapped using Velcro into a custom molded framework. By using an electronically activated actuator it enables you to open and close your fingers with the push of a button allowing you to effectively grip anything from a soda can to a fork or spoon and even a writing instrument such as a pen or pencil. It takes a little practice to get used to it but it certainly reestablishes a lot of independents. I am finding it more useful every day. The only drawback so far is that I can only wear it for a short amount of time until my muscles and tendons get used to the new movement and positions. Medicare has absorbed most of the cost and at this time I am not sure what my co-payable be. I am negotiating that with the supplier.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for PowerGrip Assisted Grasp Orthosis