Side effects

side_effects of Augmentative Speech Device"

Commonly reported side effects, conditions, and hospitalizations associated with Augmentative Speech Device

Headaches 1
Sensitivity to sudden loud noises 1
Nonepileptic seizures 1

Dosages

Why Patients Stopped Using (multiple reasons could be selected)
Reason Patients

Arms: moderate
Chest: none
Legs: moderate

See canmark's full Augmentative Speech Device history

Nov 23, 2013 (Started Aug 05, 2013)

• Perceived effectiveness for Improve communication: Moderate
  • Side Effects: None
  • Adherence: Sometimes
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: I used to be able to touch type and my job required me to use a computer extensively, but due to ALS my hands and fingers have weakened and it’s difficult for me to do much more than one-finger typing. I have no issues with speaking, however, and use a desktop USB microphone with a gooseneck (as opposed to the headset microphone that comes with the software). I use Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 for composing larger blocks of text for emails or other written communication. The software requires you to train it to recognize your voice and pronunciation of words, but otherwise basic use is fairly easy to pick up. That said, I am still learning more advanced techniques such as editing, and using Dragon for things other than just composing large blocks of text.

mompeach
Arms: severe
Chest: severe
Legs: severe

See mompeach's full Augmentative Speech Device history

Sep 17, 2012 (Started Aug 03, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Improve communication: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Mild
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I am trying out this communication device and it is on loan from words +. I'm new to using eyegaze technology. Before trying this I've been using words + ez key.

Tommy Maker
Arms: severe
Chest: moderate
Legs: severe

See Tommy Maker's full Augmentative Speech Device history

Jul 15, 2011 (Started May 05, 2010)

• Perceived effectiveness for helping to stay working: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for preparing for future deficiencies: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Improve communication: Slight
  • Side Effects: None
  • Burden: Somewhat
Dosage: Daily
Advice & Tips: easy at first to get into the workings of the software, but it simply cannot proceed beyond the initial intermediate stage. Too many bugs in the system, the costs of proceeding further with the device is not sufficiently in correlation with the benefits which accrue. The support package is hopeless, staff at dragon always blame other applications which I have loaded. I have this system loaded at home and at work and have the same problems at both locations.

Oct 6, 2010 (Started May 05, 2010)

• Perceived effectiveness for helping to stay working: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for preparing for future deficiencies: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Improve communication: Major
  • Side Effects: Moderate
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: This is a fantastic piece of equipment, however, it's important to start learning as soon as possible. The Motor Neurone Disease Association in the UK advised me to start training as soon as possible, I regret that I took some months before following that advice. I worry, however, that I may not be able to carry on using the equipment in the event that my voice fails, this however has not happened to me yet. It is difficult to set up, and I often trip over at the cables but I'm learning that there are wireless adaptations for most things. The bonus for me is that whilst learning about the dragon in work, I have learnt how to use it at home. The frustration is that the dragon takes different commands depending on what computer you are on, but it's easy to get over this, it just takes time. It saves me a huge amount of time and allowed me to continue in work. I recommend it 100%.

Showing 3 of 10 patient evaluations for Augmentative Speech Device