What is Individual Therapy?

Category: Psychotherapy

Most Popular Types: Psychiatrist (med management), Psychiatrist, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (Show all)

false

See also: Counseling

Individual therapy is a psychotherapeutic session involving only two persons, the therapist and the patient.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

• Slight
  • None
  • Can't tell

Side effects

side_effects of Individual Therapy"

118
206
1,176

Commonly reported side effects, conditions, and hospitalizations associated with Individual Therapy

Anxious mood 53
Frustration 45
Distressed 39
Flashbacks to childhood and adolescence 33
Hospitalization 30
Felt bad 21

Dosages

Most common dosages (by patients currently going to Individual Therapy)
Dosage Patients
100 min monthly 140
monthly 137
90 min monthly 118
45 min monthly 114
Why Patients Stopped Individual therapy (multiple reasons could be selected)
Reason Patients

External Stress: Overwhelming
54 F
Major Depressive Disorder

See Nadira's full Individual Therapy history

Oct 28, 2014 (Started Oct 28, 2014)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Support mental / emotional health: Major
  • Side Effects: None
Dosage: 120 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: 2014 first appointment after intake appointment. With my past experience I expect that this is a good match for me. I did find the suportive connection I feel I need at this time. Therapy is hard work and today was no exception, I was surprised to say the least that I found under my fear of up coming jaw surgery was the thought I did not want to 'come home' or survive the procedure. Even typing this it is to fresh and painful, but I am safe, and have a Pdoc appointment tomorrow, which I promised I would keep, (I never miss no matter what, and and almost always early) The Tdoc sees that I am strong and have skills to manage yet maybe I should ask my Pdoc to brainstorm and adjust my meds. As Tdoc sees deep sadness, not the flatness. Could I ever admit to being sad? Hummm, of course if I was not feeling anything why would i be crying as I type this?

Portrait default thumb
Depression: 3
Emotional: 1
Compulsion: 0
External Stress: Overwhelming
54 F
Major Depressive Disorder

See Nadira's full Individual Therapy history

Oct 15, 2014 (Started Mar 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxiety attacks: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Moderate
Dosage: 60 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: Some how I froze my iPad and lost my text. So I very glad to announce the end of therapy where I was part of the process. Past endings were one sided either program constraints or bad therapy experience. I am sad but the last few months were mostly around being a working example of a good ending. Along with reinforcing my skills on managing my depression and anxiety. So I am ready and will continue therapy in my new town. I'm glad I could stay in therapy with this psychologist for as long as I did, travel, cost, ( I am still not over not being able to pay) and the need to experience a good ending, with an authority figure, a person that is male, and someone I admire for being so consistent in creating a safe place for me, so I could take what I learned and be in the world. this time makes this ending a good sad.

Aug 3, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2012)

• Burden: Not at all
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I came prepared to make the July 8th my last paid appointment due to financial reasons. (I did think I would have time to give more notice). With discussion my T offered me 'no charge' for a reasonable amount of time to get my finances in order or time to transition to another therapist in the community where payment is based on income.($10 per session and up) This was completely unexpected and the impact profound at first I refused (shame of poor financial management) (pride of independence ???) with more discussion I was educated as to why therapy from a treatment perspective that ends suddenly would not be in my best interest.

May 18, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxiety attacks: Slight
  • Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Slight
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Apr 2, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Moderate
Dosage: 60 min Weekly

Mar 23, 2013 (Started Mar 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Inability to cope with life: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Moderate
  • Burden: Very
Dosage: 60 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: learning to trust a male mindfulness for managing depression setbacks

ITalkToTheWind
External Stress: Moderate
23 F
Borderline Personality

See ITalkToTheWind's full Individual Therapy history

Aug 1, 2014 (Started Aug 01, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Problems concentrating: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Persistent worry: Slight
  • Adherence: Sometimes
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: 50 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: The particular therapist/therapy I do not think was helpful to me. I never felt like I was making much progress on my core issues and anxieties. I initially came to this therapist for help with my performance anxiety and depression around writing and creating; I couldn't complete or focus on my school work that required any writing without suffering and panic. I also experienced this with painting and other work, but especially writing. We spent about 2-3 months doing a full diagnosis, and we did not find anything new. I did not like the treatment method she used, but I was drawn to her because of her knowledge of holistic treatments, and that she understood my sensitivity to anti-depressants and other medications. and I don't think I felt comfortable with her to tell her what was actually going on. Once in awhile when I would really open up and get into a deeper understanding of myself, it would be ignored and she would hyper focus on whatever issues or task of the week. Everything we did was too compartmentalized, and that stressed me out more. I feel like a lot of time was wasted talking about things I did not want to talk about. I often left feeling worse because I didn't complete the goals we would have set for the previous week, yet still filled with so many thoughts and issues I wanted to talk about it my head. Everything that we talked about was just very superficial, and almost too cold/clinical. "Did you complete this, did the fighting with your dad decrease, how is the depression from 1-10" She also does not know much/or anything besides what she read in the DSM about Borderline Personality Disorder (or that's what it seemed maybe I am harshly judging), so I am now going to seek someone with a different approach, and knowledge of my main disorder. She was very helpful in helping me apply to programs and find hospitals when I needed to, giving me a discounted co-payment, and other accommodations, but I just could not connect with her advice. I felt like I was scattered in my treatment too often which lead me to feeling more incompetent than I already do on a daily basis. We would talk about trying new things like hypnosis, art therapy and other different methods with her but we would never get around to them, its like she would forget our next meeting. (which made me feel terrible because that is a huge trigger for me to start things and never finish them, or say you are going to do something and never do them.) I don't know how much of anything is my therapists fault, and I appreciate everything she has done for me, but I think it is time to seek a different treatment. She would talk a lot about how she helped her other patients using different methods, but I never felt like she was helping me. Tip: If you do not feel open/comfortable with your therapist do not feel pressure to continue with them. I was waiting things out for a long time, but I did not accept it was not working.

Nov 17, 2013 (Started Aug 01, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Slight