What is InterStim Therapy?

Category: Procedures

false

InterStim® is FDA approved for urinary urge incontinence, nonobstructive urinary retention, and significant symptoms of urgency-frequency in patients who have failed to respond to, or could not tolerate, more conservative treatments.

Side effects

side_effects of InterStim Therapy"

Dosages

blujay
Data Quality: 1 star
  • Sex: F
  • Age: 32
Condition: Interstitial Cystitis 4 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: Mild
  • Physical: Mild
I am: b
Interstitial Cystitis

See blujay's full InterStim Therapy history

May 17, 2012 (Started May 17, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bladder problems: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Mild
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: One time
Advice & Tips: The surgery itself took about 1.5 hours. When I woke up, I felt fine (obviously because I was still slightly anesthetized.) I've had a few days now to 'break in' my new implant. I'm still having some pretty severe pain at the incision site, but I'm assuming that will go away with time. As for efficacy, the implant is doing really well. I went from using the bathroom 20-25 times a day to only going about 5-10. That makes the entire thing worth the trouble. I will say honestly that the first few days, I had trouble urinating, as in I would sit down and it felt like it took 10-15 minutes to empty my bladder fully. I've been drinking lots of water since then, and it has been getting better. I'm still having trouble having a bowel movement when the implant is turned on. This might just be because of the pain from the wires that are implanted next to my tailbone. I plan to talk this over with my doctor when I get my dressings removed tomorrow. All in all, I'm happy I got the implant, and I look forward to a future that doesn't revolve around a bathroom.

DDK
1226 thumb
DDK
Sex: F
Data Quality: 0 stars
Sensation: Moderate
Overall: None
Cognition: none
Vision: none
Speech: none
Swallowing: none
Upper limb: none
Walking: moderate
MS

See DDK's full InterStim Therapy history

Feb 17, 2010 (Started Jul 16, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bladder problems: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Mild
  • Adherence: Usually
  • Burden: Somewhat
Dosage: All the time (24/7)
Side effects: Bladder problems

rusty327
1238 thumb
rusty327
Sex: F
Data Quality: 1 star
Sensation: Moderate
Overall: Mild
Cognition: moderate
Vision: moderate
Speech: mild
Swallowing: none
Upper limb: mild
Walking: moderate
MS

See rusty327's full InterStim Therapy history

Jan 22, 2010 (Started Aug 03, 2007)

• Perceived effectiveness for Bladder problems: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Bowel (fecal) incontinence: Major
  • Side Effects: None
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: Not at all
Dosage:
Advice & Tips: The impact this device has had on my daily life is incredible. I truly feel this is the best thing I could ever have done for myself and my ms symptoms. I have had the best possible outcomes, for which I am grateful. Not everyone who has the device regains as much as I feel I have. I am in a study now to investigate why this device may be more effective for some than for others and will report what is learned. The biggest downside is that you can not currently have an MRI (at least in the US) with the device in place. It is the wires, not the device (which is titanium) that supposedly interfere with the MRI's. In Canada there is a small number of MRI's being done on patients, and the manufacture is working on new wiring to replace the current type used. My surgeon feels it will be another 10 years before the FDA completes trials and approves another type of wire for use with MRI's. For me this is NOT a downside, but I can well appreciate how it would be for many MS'ers.
Side effects: Bowel (fecal) incontinence

Showing 3 of 4 patient evaluations for InterStim Therapy