What is Physical Therapy (PT)?

Category: Physical Therapy

false

See also: Rehabilitation Physical Therapy

Physical therapy (PT) is a component of rehabilitation to build strength, mobility and fitness. PT may be used short term after an injury or long term following traumatic injury or serious illness such as a stroke to regain as much independence and functioning as possible.

Reported purpose & perceived effectiveness

• Slight
  • None
  • Can't tell

Side effects

side_effects of Physical Therapy (PT)"

112
312

Commonly reported side effects, conditions, and hospitalizations associated with Physical Therapy (PT)

Pain 61
Fatigue 29
Muscle aches 20
Hospitalization 16
Pain in lower back 12
Muscle soreness 11

Show all 89 reported side effects

Dosages

Most common dosages (by patients currently going to Physical Therapy (PT))
Dosage Patients
daily 53
30 min weekly 39
45 min weekly 27
30 min daily 26
Why Patients Stopped Going to Physical Therapy (PT) (multiple reasons could be selected)
Reason Patients
Doctor's advice 75
Change in health plan coverage 63
Not indicated 12
Personal research 9
See all 972 patients who’ve stopped going to Physical Therapy (PT)

Duration

Currently Going to Physical Therapy (PT)
Duration Patients
0-1 month 2
1-3 months 10
3-6 months 22
6 months-1 year 22
1-2 years 44
2 years or more 166
Stopped Going to Physical Therapy (PT)
Duration Patients
$25-49
27 8%
< $25
144 40%

90 patient evaluations for Physical Therapy (PT)

Tulabee
Legs: mild
I am: n
Parkinson's

See Tulabee's full Physical Therapy (PT) history

Nov 9, 2014 (Started Oct 06, 2009)

• Adherence: Sometimes
  • Burden: Somewhat
Advice & Tips: July 2014. Visit to orthopedist and PT for shoulder impingement.

Nov 9, 2009 (Started Oct 06, 2009)

Dosage: 90 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: My fitsy 3 visits gave me enough exercises for several months. I don't know how often i should see the PT.

StrkL
Legs: mild
I am: g
Parkinson's

See StrkL's full Physical Therapy (PT) history

Jun 25, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Improve mobility: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Freezing of gait: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Dystonia: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Balance problems: Major
Dosage: 30 min Daily
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 5 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes; 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Here are the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. Every other day, I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg, one set of 60 sec on right leg). The other day I do the exercises on a wobble board. Most day I also attempt to stand on each leg for 60 sec with my eyes closed (I stand in a corner and put my hands out for balance.B. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A before the rest of my workout; I do B before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 20-lb dumbbells for about 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. Most days I also walk with 10-lb dumbbells for 5 minutes before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels. I walk on my heels for five minutes after my workout. 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about five minutes every other day after the rest of my workout. 5. Walking backwards and sideways. Most day I walk backwards for five minutes, walk sideways to the left for five minutes, and walk sideways to the right for five minutes. I do this after the rest of my workout.

Feb 10, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Freezing of gait: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Dystonia: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Balance problems: Major
  • Adherence: Always
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I am putting this in a separate category from my regular workout routine. I do this to reduce dystonia and to reduce freezing. My Home Physical Therapy consists of 4 things: 1. Balance exercises; 2. Walking with weights; 3. Walking on my heels; 4. Walking on my toes: Here are the descriptions of what I do: 1. Balance exercises A. I swing a 10-lb dumbbell around my waist while standing on one leg -(2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). B. Standing on wobble board (2 sets of 30 sec each on right leg, 2 sets of 60 sec each on left leg). C. Spins I spin clockwise once, then counter-clockwise once; then I spin CW twice and CCW twice; then CW three times and CCW three times; then CW five times and CCW five times. I do A and B before the rest of my workout; I do C before and after. 2. Walking with weights A. I walk with 15-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes B. I walk backward with 5-lb dumbbells for 2-3 minutes I do A and B before the rest of my workout. 3. Walking on my heels A. I walk on my heels for one minute before the rest of my workout B. I walk on my heels for five minutes after I'm done 4. Walking on my toes I walk on my toes for about a minute before the rest of my workout

Sep 25, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Dystonia: Moderate
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: I follow a specific program to reduce my dystonia. See http://home.earthlink.net/~strkl/ for it.

Dec 1, 2011 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Dystonia: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Moderate
Dosage: 30 min Monthly
Advice & Tips: My dystonia is worse in my left foot. It becomes pigeon-toed (pointing inward), and tends to twist so that I land on the outside of my foot when walking. In fact, I need to be careful that my ankle doesn't roll over (twisting my ankle). If I concentrate on landing more to the inside of my foot, and trying to keep my foot straight, I can continue to walk for a while. I've worked up to the point where I can walk for a mile or more this way. And I've found that I seem to have built up resistance to dystonia. I can exercise at higher intensity, or for a longer time, before getting dystonia. It used to be that once I went into dystonia, I would have to stop walking or running and finish my workout on an exercise bike or elliptical machine. And I would not be able to walk normally until I took my next dose and waited 30 to 60 minutes for it to take effect. (And it would be preferable to take my next dose immediately, or it would take two hours for me to come on then.) But now, even after pushing through the dystonia, once I shower and change, my dystonia is gone, and I can take my medication on my usual schedule. I do this as part of my regular exercise routine, not as Home Physical Therapy. I've just entered it this way because it seems to be the only way I can do so. I wrote about this in more detail at http://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/pd/topics/100055?post_id=1535080#post-1535080

Nadira
Portrait default thumb
Nadira
  • Sex: F
  • Age: 54
Condition: Mandibular Retroagnathia 14 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: Severe
  • Physical: Mild
I am: vg
Mandibular Retroagnathia

See Nadira's full Physical Therapy (PT) history

May 19, 2014 (Started Oct 31, 2013)

• Perceived effectiveness for Loss of balance and injury to head: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Vestibular balance problems: Moderate
  • Adherence: Never
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I have found my balance is getting worse, as I have not been doing the exercises. The exercises do not take a lot of time, and it is now time to renew them, and if I need to a visit to the vestibular physiotherapist for a refresher.

Nov 24, 2013 (Started Oct 31, 2013)

• Perceived effectiveness for Loss of balance and injury to head: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Vestibular balance problems: Major
Dosage: 30 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: the more exercises I do the better the results key is having a physiotherapist that can match your balance problem with the best exercises.

Showing 3 of 90 patient evaluations for Physical Therapy (PT)