What is Running?

Category: Exercises

true

Generic Name: Running

Physical exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health. It is performed for various reasons. These include strengthening muscles and the cardiovascular system, honing athletic skills, weight loss or maintenance and for enjoyment.

Side effects

side_effects of Running"

Dosages

Most common dosages (by patients currently doing Running)
Dosage Patients
30 min m,w,f 6
as needed 5
2 hr weekly 5
4 hr weekly 5
Why Patients Stopped Doing Running (multiple reasons could be selected)
Reason Patients

freka
Data Quality: 2 stars
  • Sex: F
  • Age: 39
Condition: POTS 3 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: None
  • Physical: Moderate
I am: b
POTS

See freka's full Running history

Apr 24, 2014 (Started May 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome): Major
Dosage: 1 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I did have to take a break from running because I developed osteomyelitis and had surgery to remove a joint in my toe. All healed up now and back on track. Nothing else helps my POTS but exercise.

Nov 21, 2013 (Started May 15, 2012)

Dosage: 30 min Daily

Nov 1, 2012 (Started May 15, 2012)

Dosage: 2 hr Daily
Advice & Tips: I only stopped because the track I run on is outdoors, and it has snowed, so unless I convince somebody to shovel it clear, running season is over for me. I'll start back up in the spring. I have to run on tracks because they have an even surface, and the lane markings seem to help with my balance as well. It's strange, but sometimes I would run smoothly, but could barely walk! I don't like the indoor tracks because I get overheated; on the outdoor track I can run at night, when it is cool outside.

Oct 22, 2012 (Started May 15, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome): Moderate
Dosage: 2 hr Daily

Legs: moderate
I am: g
Parkinson's

See StrkL's full Running history

Sep 1, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Dosage: 20 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: As of Sept 1, 2010, I am lumping running together with the other aerobic exercise I do - walking, exercise bike, elliptical.
Side effects: Joint pain, Muscle aches

Jun 1, 2010 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Dosage: 20 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I started running again, sporadically, about a year ago. Since June I've been running one or two miles a day, two or three days a week. I usually don't run it continuously. I'll run two or three laps (on an indoor track, 13 laps to the mile), then walk one or two, and repeat. I”ve found that walking and running reduce my freezing problems (I’ve had severe freezing episodes when I’m off). A couple of years ago, when I pushed hard while walking oar running, I would start to freeze. And once that happened, I could not walk well until I took my next dose of medication. And even then, it would take a couple of hours for my meds to kick in. Within the past year or so, I’ve been able to push myself much harder when exercising, without freezing. And when I do freeze, I can force myself to walk through it for close to half a mile. And even when walking is tough, running is a bit easier, and seems to keep me from going off. And even when I do freeze, once I stop, I can walk normally within a few minutes, and am good for a couple more hours. I’m also having much less off time –I’m essentially on from the time my meds kick in after I get up, until 7 or 8 at night. And I know walking and running is primarily responsible for this change, rather than my medications. Because from January until about April of this year (2010), I did much less walking and running (although I continued to exercise hard - usually exercise bike or elliptical) due to a strained hamstring. And once I started walking and running again, I would tend to freeze after about half a mile. But within a few months, I got my ability back and even improved from before.
Side effects: Joint pain, Muscle aches

Dec 31, 2005 (Started Aug 01, 1965)

Dosage: 90 min Weekly
Advice & Tips: I started running in high school, to get in shape for track. I was never very competitive in track, but I enjoyed the way I felt when I was in shape. Running also helped me relax. And I noticed I almost never got sick. I had to stop running due to (unmedicated) Parkinson's, but I'm starting to do it again. I'll list it once I can regularly (once a week or so) run a mile or two.

Ramilla
17457 thumb
Ramilla
Sex: M
Data Quality: 1 star
Sensation: None
Overall: None
Cognition: moderate
Walking: none
I am: n
MS

See Ramilla's full Running history

Feb 10, 2010 (Started Dec 11, 2006)

• Perceived effectiveness for Improve flexibility/strength: Major
Dosage: 5 hr Weekly
Advice & Tips: Running has kept most of m symptoms low on the sevarity scle, when ever I stop training, within a couple day I start to feel more tired, nd I start to notice more nerve pain on my left side.

Showing 3 of 5 patient evaluations for Running