1 patient evaluation for Ice or Cold Packs taken for the purpose of 'Heat intolerance'

Heat Intolerance
CFS:20y Dx
I am: g
ME/CFS

See Heat Intolerance's full Ice or Cold Packs history

Sep 30, 2010 (Started May 01, 2001)

• Perceived effectiveness for Cognitive protection in heat: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Heat intolerance: Moderate
  • Side Effects: None
  • Adherence: Sometimes
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: IMPORTANT Brand & Placement: Brand: Polar Ice (flexible), 12"x6" (this is the ONLY brand I have found which gets cold enough to do the job, and stays cold long enough 15-20min est, depending on air temp). Cost: $20. est (I've got 2 packs, so I can have one as a backup if I need). NOTE: effective in 100+ temp (or car temp of 140-160 degrees), however, here in Las Vegas, NV, the humidity is low enough @ less 30%, most often 3-15% in the summer afternoons, which makes this work. I don't know how effective it would be in humidity above 30% w/high air temperatures. Placement: Important to place lengthwise along mid to back of head, making sure the brain stem (back of neck) is in contact with the icepack (which I cover with a very thin piece of cotton-a tiny pillow case is perfect). I keep the ice pack in place with a hat that has a draw string, which allows me to drive or walk with the ice on my head). NOTE: When my heat intolerance has been at its worst, this strategy has been the most effective protection for my cognitive issues (i.e., slow thinking, short-term memory, fatigue, irritability/impatience, headache). NOTE2: because of my other effective treatments for heat intolerance, I'm no longer forced to resort to this treatment. In fact I haven't used this treatment for 2yrs now, unless I've been exposed to 100+ temps more than 30minutes at a time, which hasn't occurred. I used to be unable to withstand even 1 minute in 100+ degrees before I got heat intolerance to the extreme.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Ice or Cold Packs