3 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine taken for the purpose of 'Dysthymia'

QuietGuy
Distress: Low
I am: g
Dysthymia

See QuietGuy's full Venlafaxine history

Feb 7, 2013 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Dysthymia: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Chronic Idiopathic Axonal Polyneuropathy: Moderate
  • Side Effects: Moderate
Dosage: 24.75 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Effects both positive and adverse, both expected and unexpected, are pretty noticeable. Venlafaxine effects appear and fade much more rapidly than with SSRIs, and may change over time. By the time I stopped, I had been down to the lowest available dose of 25mg daily, which still seemed necessary for mood control, for a long time. It's been mostly helpful, and rarely burdensome except for the way it multiplies the effects of alcohol. Best unexpected benefit: mood control (less panicky/angry responses to cognitive dissonance). Intolerable imputed effect: Vividly unpleasant dreams, waking hyperventilating.
Side effects: Excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), Sleepiness, Somnolence, Orthostatic Postural Hypotension, Sexual dysfunction, Apathy, Tachycardia (fast heart rate)

Mar 1, 2010 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Moderate
  • Burden: Somewhat
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Adverse effects now virtually disappear for me at 25 mg daily. This could change: some effects like the pounding in the ears at night or postural hypotension had previously disappeared at 37.5 mg; alarmingly rapid heart rate appeared over time at the same dosage (possibly associated with the transient hypotension). I'm still getting the good effects for the neuropathy, and the drug seems to act synergetically with cannabis in this area. The hypotension effect is probably aggravated by alcohol.

Nov 13, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Can’t tell
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlaxafine seemed effective (within limits) for peripheral neuropathy and positive for relief of depression. Physical adverse effects at this dosage seemed minimal if any. Unresolved: Did this drug bliss me out too much, keeping me passive and lazy? And did it make me more suddenly irritable? I quit because of a pharmacy restriction (ironically based on the fact that I was taking "too little" of the drug), and will resume the trial once I talk to my primary provider in about 10 days.

Oct 28, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Major
  • Side Effects: Moderate
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlafaxine by itself seems both to increase my alertness and to bliss me out a little too much; I get lethargic at 75 mg daily. Even at 37.5 mg, I've added (after a bit of research) my previous low dose of bupropion (25 mg) back into the mix as a counterbalancing "upper". Although intermittent, I'm seeing some direct effects on the depression: e.g., posture as well as mood.

crine312
Distress: High
I am: b
PTSD

See crine312's full Venlafaxine history

Jul 9, 2012 (Started Jul 01, 2010)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Slight
  • Perceived effectiveness for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: None
  • Perceived effectiveness for Dysthymia: None
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I have a pill box that is divided for AM and PM dosages. Two together made me sleepy, took 1 in AM, waited 6 hrs took other pill.

isilzha
FM:11y Dx
I am: n
Fibromyalgia

See isilzha's full Venlafaxine history

Jun 22, 2012 (Started Jul 20, 2008)

• Perceived effectiveness for Dysthymia: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I can really tell if I take a dose late, my mood tanks quite badly, as well as the "electric Zotty" feeling I get. I take it when I first get up in the AM.
Side effects: Dry mouth (xerostomia)

Showing 3 of 3 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine