1 patient evaluation for Rituximab taken for the purpose of 'Neuromyelitis Optica' with a side effects rating of Moderate

katdex
20718 thumb
katdex
Sex: F
Data Quality: 2 stars
Left Eye : moderate
Right Eye : severe
Sensation : severe
Overall : severe
Swallowing : moderate
Arms : severe
Legs : moderate
Bladder/Bowel : moderate
Spinal Cord : moderate
I am: b
NMO

See katdex's full Rituximab history

Nov 22, 2011 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Neuromyelitis Optica: Can’t tell
  • Side Effects: Moderate
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: A little
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: I was diagnosed with NMO in October of 2009, and began chemotherapy using Rituximab almost immediately. The treatments were VERY hard on my body, and I almost invariably had alarming cardiac/respiratory crises with every session. As stated in my previous evaluation of this drug, it reached a point where the drug was so hard on me that my doctor (and my anesthetist parents) stopped treatment after my treatment in June of 2010. My husband and I moved from South Carolina to North Carolina in October of 2011, where I met with several new doctors in the Asheville area. My new hemotologist convinced me that he could administer my treatments without causing the issues I'd previously experienced. I conceded, and to my surprise, he lived up to his claim immensely. He infused the same drug in the same dosage, but with a totally different method. My side effects (both during treatment and after) were minimized greatly - I had NO cardiac/pulmonary crises, and my recuperation time was cut in half. My opinion on this treatment has improved by leaps and bounds. That being said, however, it is still a VERY powerful drug, and should be used with extreme caution - and only if you have exhausted the less dangerous treatments available.

Jun 2, 2010 (Started Oct 15, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Neuromyelitis Optica: None
  • Side Effects: Severe
  • Adherence: Always
  • Burden: Not at all
Dosage: 1000 mg Every 3 months
Advice & Tips: If you take Rituxan, be VERY aware of the strength of this drug, and of the possible side effects. Also consider that NMO in itself causes a great deal of fatigue and weakness, and that the Rituxan exacerbates these effects 100-fold. I deteriorated very quickly neurologically speaking, so much so that my parents (who are CRNAs) were truly afraid I would not survive the last treatment. Just be cautious, and be sure your body is physically strong enough to endure such risky treatment.

Showing 1 of 1 patient evaluation for Rituximab