16 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection taken for the purpose of 'Multiple Sclerosis' with a perceived effectiveness rating of Major

Apes Vancouver
20363 thumb
Apes Vancouver
Sensation: Mild
Overall: Mild

See Apes Vancouver's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Apr 23, 2014 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Even though I switched to Aubagio, I would still recommend Avonex for anyone who is thinking about treatment. I watch my diet carefully and I exercise regularly, but there's no way I would skip MS medication. The costs of a relapse are just too high.

Apr 25, 2012 (Started Jun 01, 2009)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I've had no new lesions since I started taking Avonex. For anyone who has been diagnosed, get on the drugs as soon as you can. I was given this advice, and I ignored it at first. It only took one relapse to change my mind.

Wavewatcher
54429 thumb
Wavewatcher
Relapse: Severe
Sensation: Severe
Swallowing: moderate

See Wavewatcher's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Feb 4, 2013 (Started Jan 28, 2013)

Dosage: 1 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: I am now considered SPMS (Secondary Progressive MS) because I am 60 and they have no research to show that it works once you reach that stage but they said if I FELT like it was working I could continue to take it. I walk unassisted, I talk, I drive within a 50 mile radius to the doctor, and I pay our bills and look after myself. I can't clean house and do other things but I can do that so me and my Neurologist determined that as long as I was up and moving we were not going to fix something that wasn't broke. I am getting it on a grant and don't have to pay for it and am more than a little thankful that I am still able to get it for fear I would go downhill rapidly without it. I take Benadryl after the shot and have no trouble with the flu like sysmptoms unless I forget that.
Side effects: Fatigue

Jul 28, 2010 (Started Jan 28, 2013)

• Perceived effectiveness for Multiple Sclerosis: Moderate
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: I TAKE MY SHOT ON SUNDAY NIGHT BECAUSE I DON'T WORK. IF I WORKED IT WOULD BE FRIDAY NIGHT. THE DAY AFTER THE SHOT SOMETIMES I SLEEP A LOT AND OTHERS I AM FINE. NO UNEXPECTED BENEFITS.
Side effects: Fatigue

Cognition: mild
Vision: mild
Walking: mild

See babybunny's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Jun 30, 2012 (Started Jun 02, 2011)

• Burden: Somewhat
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Side effects: Injection site pain, Injection site bruising, Joint stiffness, Bruising, Injection site reaction

Oct 30, 2011 (Started Jun 02, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Multiple Sclerosis: Can’t tell

Rainey2
Portrait default thumb
Rainey2

See Rainey2's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Apr 23, 2012 (Started Apr 08, 2005)

• Perceived effectiveness for Multiple Sclerosis: Major
  • Side Effects: None
Dosage: 30 mcg Weekly
Advice & Tips: Stay with it. The benefits to me far outweigh the risk. With Avonex I have been able to continue working and feel like I am a productive adult who can care for myself. The downside: The cost is horrid , with insurance I pay for the first two months each year. this is approximately $4000 out of pocket.

LenaB
Portrait default thumb
LenaB

See LenaB's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

May 30, 2011 (Started Apr 28, 2005)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Side effects need to be addressed. Doctors don't help, Biogen Idec didn't help. Unbearable, just cannot do it anymore.
Side effects: Dizziness, Stabbing headaches, Flu like symptoms, Generalized muscle aches, Chills/fever, Nausea, Joint pain, Shivering, Tiredness, Spasms, Body Aches

Apr 26, 2011 (Started Apr 28, 2005)

• Perceived effectiveness for Multiple Sclerosis: Moderate
Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I will not be taking this much longer. I can't believe all the days of being miserably ill I have given to this medication. The makers of the drug are making bundles of money off this but they cannot offer me any means of coping with the HORRIBLE side effects.

Oct 25, 2010 (Started Apr 28, 2005)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Continue to have horrible side effects and NO pain medications work effectively. Have come close to overdosing to deal with the side effects which last for over 24 hours. Thinking about quiting.

Apr 28, 2009 (Started Apr 28, 2005)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: The side effects may NEVER lessen and ibuprophen may not ever be enough. If you have these problems the medical professionals will probably do nothing to assist you in dealing with them. The drug companies will never disclose how common this problem is because that is not a selling point. If you have severe side effects DON'T try sleeping through them - it won't happen, take the injection in the morning so you can deal with it while you are awake and not lose sleep. Plan on feeling like crap for two days a week but it's better than Rebif where you feel like crap all week. I don't understand why they can prescribe something with such horrible side effects but not prescribe something to deal with the side effects?

Obsession86
Cognition: none
Vision: none
Walking: none

See Obsession86's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Jul 27, 2007)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: Flu-like symptoms never end regardless of how long you have taken the medication

tgn
29969 thumb
tgn

See tgn's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Sep 23, 2010 (Started Aug 25, 2002)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: i wasn't sure if it was doing anything until i recently changed neuros had an mri and he told me it was doing its job so was good to hear

wysiwyg
8623 thumb
wysiwyg
Overall: Mild
Speech: mild
Upper limb: mild

See wysiwyg's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Jun 25, 2010 (Started Jan 21, 1990)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I have been taking Avonex since the original trials. I really believe that it has helped my MS from progressing as quickly as it would have otherwise. When I began treatment I was experiencing 2+ exacerbations per month...and since I started using Avonex, my exacerbations have been 1 (or less) per YEAR! (and that is since about 1991)
Side effects: Flu like symptoms, Chills/fever, Body Aches, Generalized muscle aches

Jan 12, 2009 (Started Jan 21, 1990)

Dosage: 30 mcg/0.5 mL Weekly
Advice & Tips: I have been using Avonex since the original Trials...many years ago (around 1990), and have never missed a dose! I really believe it has had a LOT to do with my MS not progressing as quickly. The shots are really no big deal. And, now you can use a shorter needle! yea! After all these years, my biggest problem is trying to find new spots to inject! (Don't want to damage tissue)_

smoulton
10055 thumb
smoulton
Speech: mild

See smoulton's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Aug 18, 2009 (Started Aug 14, 1996)

Dosage: 30 mcg Daily
Advice & Tips: I would like to stay on Avonex, but with the liver acting up, I will stop it for now. I want to go back on it or go to an oral that doesn't effect the liver.
Side effects: Generalized muscle aches, Chills/fever, Flu like symptoms

anissailie
3202 thumb
anissailie
Swallowing: moderate
Walking: mild

See anissailie's full Interferon beta-1a IM Injection history

Jul 29, 2009 (Started May 01, 2006)

Dosage: Weekly
Advice & Tips: Side effects can be bad at the beginning and it's difficult to know whether the Avonex will even work. STICK WITH IT!! I haven't had any progression in 2 years!!!
Side effects: Generalized muscle aches, Body Aches, Flu like symptoms, Lethargy, Joint pain, Fever

Showing 10 of 16 patient evaluations for Interferon beta-1a IM Injection