106 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine

60698-thumb
sierramama
  • Sex: F
  • Age: 65
Condition: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 7 additional condition(s)
Quality of Life:
  • Mental: Mild
  • Physical: Mild
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus

See sierramama's full Venlafaxine history

Jan 12, 2014 (Started Jan 15, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Peripheral Neuropathy: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Chronic pain: Moderate

Shell698
Portrait_default_thumb
Shell698
Relapse: Severe
Sensation: Moderate
Overall: Moderate
Cognition: moderate
Vision: moderate
Speech: moderate
Swallowing: moderate
Upper limb: moderate
Walking: moderate
MS

See Shell698's full Venlafaxine history

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Dec 30, 2012)

• Perceived effectiveness for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Slight

Data Quality: 0 stars
M
Agoraphobia

See fred5's full Venlafaxine history

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Jul 01, 2011)

• Perceived effectiveness for Agoraphobia: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Monitor blood pressure, which may increase even after taking it for years. It generally made me calm. I forget to take it one day and I was very sleepy and groggy for a day. Going off of it was difficult: I had to do it very slowly, going down about 1 mg per day til I was completely off of it.

fawnlaker
Chest: none
Legs: moderate
PLS

See fawnlaker's full Venlafaxine history

Aug 15, 2013 (Started Jun 01, 2012)

Advice & Tips: lack of emotion

Compulsion: 1
62 M
Major Depressive Disorder

See pan43's full Venlafaxine history

Jul 8, 2013 (Started Oct 10, 2006)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Be sure to taper carefully when/if you want to quit this medication.

Sep 3, 2012 (Started Oct 10, 2006)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Slight sexual dysfunction. As long as I take it several hours before sexual activity it is no problem. A big benefit is the leveling out of emotions.

SoreMomma
FM:4y Dx
I am: n
Fibromyalgia

See SoreMomma's full Venlafaxine history

Apr 18, 2013 (Started Mar 23, 2013)

• Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Taking this medication has changed my life greatly. I went from wanting to literally kill myself to being able to smile and laugh with my family and friends again. I have smiled more since I have been on this medication than since I can really remember. The only bad part about the medication is some insurances do not cover it and it is very expensive. It can range from 50 dollars to well over 100. If you have any type of Medicaid you have to get a pre-authorization.

Hestia58
6034-thumb
Hestia58
Sensation: Moderate
Overall: Mild
Cognition: moderate
Vision: moderate
Speech: mild
Swallowing: mild
Upper limb: moderate
Walking: moderate
MS

See Hestia58's full Venlafaxine history

Mar 1, 2013 (Started Jun 03, 2011)

• Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: Very difficult to withdraw from. Made me sexually promiscuous, a little known side effect.

QuietGuy
External Stress: Severe
64 M
Dysthymia

See QuietGuy's full Venlafaxine history

Feb 7, 2013 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Moderate
  • Perceived effectiveness for Dysthymia: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Chronic Idiopathic Axonal Polyneuropathy: Moderate
Dosage: 24.75 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Effects both positive and adverse, both expected and unexpected, are pretty noticeable. Venlafaxine effects appear and fade much more rapidly than with SSRIs, and may change over time. By the time I stopped, I had been down to the lowest available dose of 25mg daily, which still seemed necessary for mood control, for a long time. It's been mostly helpful, and rarely burdensome except for the way it multiplies the effects of alcohol. Best unexpected benefit: mood control (less panicky/angry responses to cognitive dissonance). Intolerable imputed effect: Vividly unpleasant dreams, waking hyperventilating.
Side effects: Excessive daytime sleepiness (somnolence), Sleepiness, Somnolence, Orthostatic Postural Hypotension, Sexual dysfunction, Apathy, Tachycardia (fast heart rate)

Mar 1, 2010 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Moderate
  • Burden: Somewhat
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Adverse effects now virtually disappear for me at 25 mg daily. This could change: some effects like the pounding in the ears at night or postural hypotension had previously disappeared at 37.5 mg; alarmingly rapid heart rate appeared over time at the same dosage (possibly associated with the transient hypotension). I'm still getting the good effects for the neuropathy, and the drug seems to act synergetically with cannabis in this area. The hypotension effect is probably aggravated by alcohol.

Nov 13, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Can’t tell
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlaxafine seemed effective (within limits) for peripheral neuropathy and positive for relief of depression. Physical adverse effects at this dosage seemed minimal if any. Unresolved: Did this drug bliss me out too much, keeping me passive and lazy? And did it make me more suddenly irritable? I quit because of a pharmacy restriction (ironically based on the fact that I was taking "too little" of the drug), and will resume the trial once I talk to my primary provider in about 10 days.

Oct 28, 2009 (Started Oct 04, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anxious mood: Major
Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Venlafaxine by itself seems both to increase my alertness and to bliss me out a little too much; I get lethargic at 75 mg daily. Even at 37.5 mg, I've added (after a bit of research) my previous low dose of bupropion (25 mg) back into the mix as a counterbalancing "upper". Although intermittent, I'm seeing some direct effects on the depression: e.g., posture as well as mood.

VioletRaven
Function: Low
Distress: Moderate
Eating Disorder

See VioletRaven's full Venlafaxine history

Jan 7, 2013 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anorexia Nervosa: Can’t tell
  • Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Slight
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: Be very careful of this drug. It worked for a while but stopping me falling into the deep lows, but having come off it I realised it has been like living through a fog the last 4 years. I have been sleepwalking and I am just waking up. I can feel a whole range of emotions, happiness even, that was hazed in gray before. The side effects of coming off them were horrible, but worth it to Feel again. I felt dizzy, drunk, I slurred and my depth perception was off. I lost balance and images seemed to flicker, I couldn't always tell if the ground was level, I forgot things easily, lost my train of thought, felt disconnected and at times euphoric but countered by the instability. Now I am calming down, I found my energy is up so much, insomnia came back but I don't care, I can stay awake more than 6 hours and I can do things without feeling so tired. I am more productive, more creative and just more Me now that I am off them. Only take anti depressants when you have no other safe choice. I was at that point, but I was so low I was bullied into by the doctors, I believe in learning to live with and recognise my symptoms so I can get help. I want to try natural remedies in future if I get into a Low again because just not feeling the acute despair was not worth giving up feeling everything else for.
Side effects: Night sweats, Feeling faint (presyncope), Orthostatic Postural Hypotension, Brain zaps, Dizziness, Heart palpitations, Temperature dysregulation, Memory lapses (brain blinks)

Jun 30, 2011 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Perceived effectiveness for Anorexia (appetite loss): Slight
  • Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: WARNING: There are SERIOUS withdrawal symptoms from missing a dose and discontinuing this drug. I seriously recommend talking to your GP about side effects and withdrawal symptoms before considering this treatment and to take into account your reliability for taking the drugs on time!

Nov 17, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Burden: A little

Oct 13, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

• Burden: A little
Advice & Tips: Forgetting to take my medication is the main problem as the withdrawal symptoms are severe, 'brain zaps' dizziness, lightheadedness, problems focusing, slurred speak, slight visual impairment, heart palpitations and confusion. When I am taking it regularly it does not improve my mood, but prevents me from falling into severe lows; I feel as though I am hit a safety net a neutral or slight low rather than spiralling into severe depression.

Oct 11, 2010 (Started Feb 01, 2009)

rodolptte24
Compulsion: 0
36 F
Eating Disorder

See rodolptte24's full Venlafaxine history

Nov 15, 2012 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

• Perceived effectiveness for Borderline Personality Disorder: Major
  • Perceived effectiveness for Major Depressive Disorder: Major
  • Burden: Not at all
Advice & Tips: I was taking a 300mg dose of this medication and slowly tapered off of it over a course of six weeks. Everything was fine during the taper, it was just getting off that final dose (75mg) that was hard. I felt like I had the flu: shivering, nausea, loss of appetite.

Feb 18, 2011 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

• Burden: Not at all

Nov 7, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: This has been an excellent medication for me as long as I take it every day as prescribed.

Mar 25, 2009 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: Take this medication at the same time everyday and do not skip more than one day of taking it or else you will begin to feel horrible withdrawal symptoms. But I have Effexor XR to be extremely effective in treating my depression. I would caution anyone that considers taking this drug for a long period of time to be aware that it can be very difficult to get off of. You will need to titrate down your dose in very small increments under your doctor's supervision.

Dec 10, 2008 (Started Oct 10, 2003)

Dosage: 37.5 mg Daily
Advice & Tips: As best you can, take this medication at the same time every day. For a long time I was taking only 150mg a day and didn't feel any benefits from the medication. However, when my psychiatrist increased my dose to 300mg a day, I could detect a significant improvement in mood. This is a relatively high dose for this medication and it can cause an increase in blood pressure. Fortunately this has not been an issue for me but might be something for others to take into consideration. Also, I take the XR-capsules and I can tell a difference between the XR and non-XR.

Showing 10 of 106 patient evaluations for Venlafaxine